Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Bolt or Savage 9317

Hi Guys,

After some advice about the choice of my next rifle. I would like to add a 17HMR to the safe and have narrowed it down to the T Bolt and Savage.

I went to the local gun shop yesterday and looked at both the Browning and the Savage (as well as the CZ - felt like my Model 2 - nothing wrong with that, but just want something different).

I really liked the T bolt. I found the action to be smooth, fast and easy to get used to. Quality of fit and finish was very high. It was light and very pointable. I also liked the flush fitting 10 shot mag.

The only Savage they had in stock was a thumbhole version (as soon as I held it, I knew it wasn't for me) and a base level version which looked pretty rough. I was impressed with the action, and contrary to what I had read they both cycled really smoothly. They were also nicely balanced despite larger varmint barrels up front.

So I came away pretty much decided that the Browning was it. I know that Savage also make a classic model that looks like their higher end offering and that appeals to me, but I have not seen it in person. I know that Savage are known for their supreme accuracy as well. So now I am thinking maybe I should hunt one down and at least have a look at it.

I would be interested in your thoughts or experiences about each rifle. I will be using the little 17 for occasional range work but primarily for hunting.

I had the same question and in the end I purchased the Tbolt because its very light, a bit different and shoots well. I have been training my daughter with it and she finds it easy to handle because of is size and weight (she can shoot minute of bunny at 100m with it) I have tried several savages and found them to be good as well. When I added it all up the Tbolt won because of the small size and weight, the straight pull action and the 10 shot mag design.

But there is nothing wrong with the Savage and they are cheaper

Comment

I have used both and owned a 93 model savage .17 my vote is for the t-bolt. A very nice gun with a fast action. Magazine capacity is better with flush mount great for spotlighting from a car window. T-bolt is better build quality IMO mags don't like dirt though and need to be kept clean. Trigger was really heavy on my mates and something to add to the must be fixed. If you look at the savage the triggers are good out of the box and they are accurate out of box. Price is half or less. Accuracy in all honesty is on par with each other (both very good). Quality of build and finish goes to t-bolt bang for buck to the savage. Having owned two 93r thumbhole rifles great rifle but just the little niggly stuff annoys like magazines that drop out if you don't push in with bolt open but if you get a good one they work well.

Comment

T-Bolt! Although I may be biased :P

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey mate, I own a 93r in 17 hmr. It started as a fss model which must have the worst synthetic stock made. I now have it in a boyds stock which I fitted pillars to and devcon bedded the action. It shoots pretty good about 1.5 moa at 100. The action works well and feeds ammo no problems, ok trigger. However it took some tinkering with and a t bolt is definitely a nicer product. The savage brj and classic models seem to be the better finished models.

Originally posted by Reverseworm" post=45800
        I know that Savage also make a classic model that looks like their higher end offering and that appeals to me, but I have not seen it in person. I know that Savage are known for their supreme accuracy as well. So now I am thinking maybe I should hunt one down and at least have a look at it.
        Sadly, the Savage Classic is no longer in production. The BRJ is a good looking rifle and handles well.

Comment

If you buy the Savage, you will sell it later as it is not a very good rifle.

If you buy the TBolt, you will probably own it for life as it is an exceptional rifle.

Comment

Hey thanks guys. Some great advice.

As soon as the holidays are done I'll get the PTA in and put a deposit down on a T Bolt.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds good, If I knew what it was going to take to get my savage shooting ok, I would have bought a t bolt, cz or Annie.

Cheers.

I think some write off the Savage prematurely. They are a great product for the price - Easy to modify & heaps of gear available to improve them.
            Make no mistake, they can be built to shoot with any sporter out there - I have one easily capable of running with any Anschutz 54 sporter I've ever owned.
            My only initial concern was re their durability but after several years experience with them, have no doubt they will last the average shooter into old age if maintained correctly.

Comment

I like savage barrels, but like the cz and tbolt actions.
              but I'm also a bit biased to the cz after it produces 3 shot groups like these at 50m.

group left is 17gr vmax's. group centre is federal premium.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	17hmrgroups.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	57418

I've seen savages do similar.

Comment

Working...
              X