Browning tbolt varmint target.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browning tbolt varmint target.

Hey guys browsing the gun shop today and noticed a beautiful rifle, i asked what was it and was told it was the browning tbolt.
    After a bit of a talk and chat about the rifle i started wondering why have i heard so little about these rifles?
    Currently I'm after i new comp rimfire and the tbolt is 1 of 3 things I'm tossing up so i was wondering why there is so little talk about it.
    From what i could see it was a beautifully finished finished rifle that was very solid and had a target rifle feel without the massive weight its straight pull system was also beutifully fast and solid.
    Ive looked at many reviews and didnt find one bad one so is there any tbolt owners out there who can give me abit of info about it?
    Thanks guys,
    A13

the browning t-bolts are very nicely finished off, and their actions get nicer/smoother with age.
    some of the triggers can be good, some not so. (but still not that bad).
    accuracy is usually good, but not benchrest good.
    probably not as accurate as a good savage or a good CZ/Brno.
    overall, they're a classy little rimfire. especially since they dropped back to a reallistic price.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, the other rifle im looking at and im leaning to is the CZ 452 varmint, overall im looking for accuracy so it might be the better option i reckon.

I'll throw up some more pics of mine and a bit of a write up after I finish work tonight mate. Should be about 9-10.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice rifle, ill look foward to the write up.

Originally posted by allrounder_13" post=43623
    Hey guys browsing the gun shop today and noticed a beautiful rifle, i asked what was it and was told it was the browning tbolt.
    After a bit of a talk and chat about the rifle i started wondering why have i heard so little about these rifles?
    Currently I'm after i new comp rimfire and the tbolt is 1 of 3 things I'm tossing up so i was wondering why there is so little talk about it.
    From what i could see it was a beautifully finished finished rifle that was very solid and had a target rifle feel without the massive weight its straight pull system was also beutifully fast and solid.
    Ive looked at many reviews and didnt find one bad one so is there any tbolt owners out there who can give me abit of info about it?
    Thanks guys,
    A13
    mate ive had one in .17hmr for about 3months now and cant fault it but im only hunting with it and it took a few shots through it to loosen the bolt up but it shoots like a dream with federal premiums

Comment

• Reverseworm
      Reverseworm commented
      Editing a comment
      After reading heaps about the .17HMR, I have decided to add one to the collection. Its coming down to the T Bolt, Savage and maybe the CZ. This thread is not the first time I have read that Brownings are not as accurate as the Savage. On the other hand I have also read that Savage rifles can be a bit rough in fit and finish. I would be interested in hearing your experiences before I head down and handle a few myself.

The T Bolt is a good looking rifle but so is the Savage with thumbhole stock and stainless barrel.....

• Yoshie
      Yoshie commented
      Editing a comment
      A mate has one and I really like it, he had it recrowded, and it's a tack driver with a heavy barrel and 32 power scope. There is a Russian toggle bolt as well that has a good reputation for accuracy also anshults made one as well.

This was written as a quick review for another forum I was on, so it's fairly simplistic sorry.

What makes the Browning T-Bolt different to any other varmint rimfire is the straight pull action. It consists of regular looking bolt, but the handle cams back and forth, which inserts the bolt's twin lugs into holes either side of the raceway. Here is the bolt as it appears when the action is closed with both lugs visible:

Here it is when the bolt is pulled back, releasing the lugs from the raceway:

Here's a good photo showing the tang safety, raceway and lug holes:

Comment

This action is one that loves being thrashed; the faster the better. Not once have I had a hang-up or any other issue feeding, and I've put probably 4000 rounds through it Ejection is positive, throwing spent cases up to a metre clear from a prone position, and more or less directly to the side. The bolt also has a cocking indicator on the firing pin, the red part slides under a C clamp when the rifle is uncocked:

The magazine on the rifle also sets it apart. Called the 'Double Helix' it arranges 10 rounds in an inside down question mark configuration in a clear plastic housing. Feeding rounds into the mag is accomplished by twisting a rotor with your LH thumb, and thumbing a single round into the exposed gear with your RH: After a bit of practice it becomes simple. One thing to consider though is that unless seated properly, shorts will not engage the gear mechanism properly and will make it hard to fill. It's a simple fix though, just whack the magazine against the palm of your hand to seat the rounds right to their base:

Comment

The rifle is well finished with deeply blued metal and a satin finished stock. It is checkered at both the pistol grip and along the forearm: Eventually, I'm going to sand back the lacquer and oil the stock to show it off a bit more, but it goes ok now I reckon:

Accuracy is more than enough for my simple needs; the rifle's purpose is that of a fun plinker and subsonic bunny buster out to 75 metres, beyond that I've got my .223 to play with.

Comment

• Reverseworm
          Reverseworm commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a beautiful rifle I must say.

The trigger is a bit heavy, but breaks cleanly enough. If I were target shooting with it I'd want it improved, but I don't really notice it while hunting.

To finish here's some pics of the rifle side by side with a CZ 452 Varmint Nickel in 17HMR; both are excellent little rifles. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do

Comment

One more thing, I get HEAPS better accuracy using subs. I can headshot starlings within 40m probably 90% of the time, no joke.

Comment

The big hole to the left in a 22mag but the rest are .17hmr fed prems at 100m
            Attached Files

Comment

• Reverseworm
              Reverseworm commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Archie" post=43765
              The big hole to the left in a 22mag but the rest are .17hmr fed prems at 100m
              aint nothing wrong with that....

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you looked at the PS22 Cleaver have. Has anyone shot one of them?

I've found mine shoots the CCI subs even better than that too, no pics of groups with them though sorry. I just sight it in and hunt.

Comment

Working...
            X