Savage MkII-F .22LR Bolt Action Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage MkII-F .22LR Bolt Action Rifle

I have been thinking about getting the Savage MkII-F .22LR Bolt Action Rifle for my first gun.

I won't be able to outlay a huge amount of cash for my new hobby as I'm sure you would all know of the costs involved in getting started with a descent safe and licensing.

I would value your thoughts, opinions and/or recommendations on this choice...

Originally posted by MasterBlaster" post=43399
    I have been thinking about getting the Savage MkII-F .22LR Bolt Action Rifle for my first gun.

I won't be able to outlay a huge amount of cash for my new hobby as I'm sure you would all know of the costs involved in getting started with a descent safe and licensing.

Not a bad choice for a first gun mate... The MII is quite a good gun for the money...

They are pretty accurate guns and have a large range of aftermarket upgrades/customising... So if you dont like the stock its cheap to swap it out with a Boyd's or many other brands for around the $100 mark...

The cheaper end of the rimfire scene has come along leaps and bounds in the last couple years and brands like Savage have helped spur it on to higher quality, more accurate rifles for the sub $500 market...

You still seem unsure, what others have you looked at?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Luke H" post=43415
      You still seem unsure, what others have you looked at?
      I was looking at the CZ455 but with 6 kids and my partner that I am supporting on a single income, and nearly a grand for the licence and safe, I would have to wait a bit longer for that maybe...

The Savage is probably the best (or at least the most accurate) in its price category. If you can stretch the budget to a cz then you'll probably look back in 20 years time and say "they don't make guns like they used to"!

Comment

• Dingo745
      Dingo745 commented
      Editing a comment
      Savage are good bang for buck, and seem pretty accurate in general.
      I have MK11 BTVS that eats CCI standards for this at 50metres

Click image for larger version

Name:	Group2_2013-12-16.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	54922

I love my Mk2. Stacks of fun to shoot.

Comment

Nice rifle just make sure you get the accu-trigger or whatever it is called if you are buying a new one. That said it is a liberal gun made in Canadandaian teritar.

Comment

If I was not looking to buy a varmint barrel mkii and put a scope on it, I would strongly suggest getting the mkii G with the wood stock. At lgs, the G is only $40 more than the F (F is $410, G is $450).

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIG

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF

The synthetic stock that comes with the savage is quite bad, in that it's flimsy with very low comb height. I replaced the synthetic stock with a Boyd's stock on my FV-SR because it was very hard to use with a scope. If you do want to change the stock later, the wood stock already has the longer action screws and trigger guard you need. You will only need to source a bottom plate, and you can sell the factory stock to someone else looking to replace their cheap plastic one!

That being said, if you're sticking with iron sights, the synthetic stock could be the better option. Even though I think the wood stock still looks a lot nicer!

Good luck, hope I was some help.
        Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...

Comment

• Shini
          Shini commented
          Editing a comment
          I picked up a Savage mkII FV a few months back. First and foremost it feels cheap though it was so that is expected. There are obvious machining marks on the action and bolt and the overall design has clearly been made with reducing production expenses in mind. The Basic polymer stock that comes with the FV is really rubbish, it flexes all over the place, is slippery and is uncomfortable.

That said the mkII I have is very accurate, it seems to like just about all the ammo I've put though it and at the moment is fed on a steady diet of CCI standards getting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards just about all day without any trouble. The accutrigger is very good for a factory set up and mine didn't need any adjustment out of the box, it breaks crisply at a nice light weight.

I'm planing to get a new stock as soon as I can and I expect to see the accuracy improve when I do. I feel the current stock is the biggest limitation on the rifle, for me it fits all wrong, I just can't get into a comfortable position with it and I find it very hard to stay consistent behind the rifle. Boyds do very good value stocks to suit the mkII but you will also need new bottom metal and screws depending on the model you get.

I put a cheap Vortex Crossfire II on it and for $700 in the safe I think it is very good value.

The Daughters Savage Mk2 FV is a great little shooter. Smooth action, trigger is excellent (been tuned) the rifle feeds fine 99% of the time - what can I say it works. I've done a bit of testing with quite a few diff types of 22 ammo and it seems to shoot them all pretty well, certainly good enough to roll bunnies with most if not all of em.

CCi Standards

Win 40gn Subs

Bunnies shot at 85m out of the widow of the 4by (resting on the mirror)
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

I have a Savage MKII G (Wood Sporter) and have been very happy with the purchase. Like a lot of things in life, if you spend a little more on your guns, you will get something a little better. But a budget is a budget, and at some point you have to put a limit on how much you spend. If you have determined that the sub $500 bracket is where you are at, then the savage is not a bad choice. Package deals can be had with a 3-9 variable scope, and are good value for money.
          For me it was all about the fit and feel of the rifle when I shouldered it. The Marlins just felt cheap, the Toz/ Winchester wildcat were too narrow for my large hands, and the Norinco Puma just didn't feel right. Make sure you handle as many different brands as you can before you settle on one.
          For me the MKII-G was the standout- but that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. Sure the fit/finish is not as good as a CZ or Anshuntz, and the machining is a little rough, but then, I didn't pay CZ or Anshuntz dollars for it either. It has accounted for a fox or two, and puts little holes in bits of paper when I want it to. No-one at the range is going to admire or drool over it, but that's not what I bought it for
          As a fun .22 to learn on, that looks and feels like a "real" rifle instead of a toy, it fits the bill nicely
          Col

Comment

I bought a Savage MkII FSS about 10 months ago and it has been a relatively solid performer. Put through in excess of 3000 rounds (mostly punching paper) so far, and is still going strong. The AccuTrigger is nice, and being able to simply adjust the trigger weight is a nice feature which I believe isn't common with some other .22 makes. Also the stainless steel finish is quite polished and seems to do well at keeping corrosion at bay.

Accuracy wise, it appears I haven't been as lucky with mine as some others have reported with theirs. After clearing out as many different brands and types of .22lr ammo available at the LGSs, I only found one brand (Highland RXs - at least they're cheap!) to perform OK ~consistent 1" groups at 50 yards. Fine for bunnies out to 70 yards but I certainly won't be using it for target shooting anytime soon. Other gripes include the very low comb as someone else has mentioned with the synthetic stocks - this can be easily swapped out for a Boyds or similar, but you should factor this into the overall cost. And mine also suffers from failing to eject unspent rounds, which is a pain. Not sure if others have experienced this issue or not..

From my personal experience and considering your budget, I'd suggest trawling the used market for a pre-loved CZ/BRNO or wait a little longer and buy new.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBlaster" post=43399

What are you going to be mainly using the rifle for? They are a good bunnie gun. they do ok at the range for a bit of fun target shooting, I wouldn't call them a competition rifle by any stretch but they do ok.
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I probably should have stated the use in the initial question...

I plan on using the rifle for hunting fox & bunnies, target and just for fun...

The main aim is to become a half decent shot, then upgrade as I get better...

I have the Mk2F and it shoots plenty good enough for bunnies and a bit of fun target shooting. I've shot some groups that really surprised me, even at 100m.
              As has been mentioned, it's not the best rimfire rifle in the world and won't compare to really expensive rifles, but it's a great gun for the money and is generally the best in it's price range. If you want to get into shooting ASAP and not wait to save up, definitely go the Savage.
              We use 43 muscles to frown,
              17 to smile,
              and 2 to pull a trigger.
              I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Comment

I started out with the Mk2 FV; Two mistakes I wish I could turn back if I ever did it all again.

Firstly - a .22 doesn't need a heavy barrel. Waste of metal for the same groups, hot or cold. Adds so much weight when walking about for rabbits.

Secondly - The plastic stock is shite. Pay a little extra for a wooden (or laminate) model and save yourself cheek weld woes. I ended up buying the factory laminate stock off of another forum member. Much better: its thicker (feels like a gun not a toy), slightly heavier, stiffer, has a proper cheek comb and it hides the 5 round magazine really well so you don't knock/break it.

Other than those two issues, I wouldnt change my .22 for anything. Very accurate and silky smooth now that its done >10,000 rounds

Comment

Did you end up getting one? If so was it worth it?
                  Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you’re a mile away and have their shoes

Comment

I got one last month and it is great
                    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
                    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
                    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
                    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
                    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Working...
                    X