Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break-Action 17 hmr?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this community, but I was a member of the old forum for a while before it closed.

Great to be back!

I'm just wondering whether anyone imports break-action rimfires into Australia (17hmr)?

I'm wanting a good value 17hmr rifle (sub $400) and I recall break-actions often being much cheaper.

If not, I'll probably just go for the Zastava CZ99 as it's about as good value as it gets in that price bracket.

This rifle is strictly for target shooting at SSAA Belmont, whom have a single feed-only policy. I like my single shot rifles, my Toz-12 is a beaut.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by maninorange" post=41926
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this community, but I was a member of the old forum for a while before it closed.

Great to be back!

I'm just wondering whether anyone imports break-action rimfires into Australia (17hmr)?

I'm wanting a good value 17hmr rifle (sub $400) and I recall break-actions often being much cheaper.

If not, I'll probably just go for the Zastava CZ99 as it's about as good value as it gets in that price bracket.

This rifle is strictly for target shooting at SSAA Belmont, whom have a single feed-only policy. I like my single shot rifles, my Toz-12 is a beaut.

Thanks guys.
    don't know of any break actions but I have a CZ99 .17 and I will recommend those until the cows come home

Comment

• maninorange
      maninorange commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by SLAiN" post=41927
      Originally posted by maninorange" post=41926
      Hi Everyone,

Great to be back!

Thanks guys.
      don't know of any break actions but I have a CZ99 .17 and I will recommend those until the cows come home
      Good to know, thank you. So how accurate is the Zasty at 200+ yards?

What ammo does your Zasty prefer?

Also on an unrelated topic, does anyone know how to change an avatar on here? Can't seem to work it out.

tell you the truth I have not taken the zasty out to 200 on paper yet... at 100 it's sub MOA all day long .... I find no difference in what brand ammunition I use in it apart from when I set up some clay targets on the mound at the range... the 17 grainers will split the clay apart but the 20's will pass straight through leaving a perfect .17 calibre hole. It's not a rifle I use very often and I'll tell you why.... ammunition is expensive... I only use it for hunting rabbits and foxes when I can now.... But that's just me.... the CZ99 is a brilliant little rifle I can't floor it in any way but the .17HMR calibre is a pain in the A##s if you ask me.... I have to examine each round for split necks before I use them, there expensive enough without having to discard (sometimes) 10 out of each box... could you imagine missing a perfect shot on a fox because a split neck has allowed moisture into the propellant, and you can't take another shot until you run a rod down the barrel to remove the lodged projectile?

I'm not sure if the cartridge manufacturer's have lifted there game yet but this could be a problem you have to face with your 17... if you can handle the cost of ammunition I still would recommend the CZ99 it's the best I've seen in that price range, the action is beautiful and smooth the blueing is second to none in my opinion, and the barrel is made from the same type of steel that zastava makes there full auto's and AK's and stuff from so you can shoot it all day at high temp's and your point of impact won't change (not that you'll be getting it that hot anyway but it's good to know regardless) Think of it this way, If it costs them $100 to make a rifle in the USA that $100 will go a lot further if the rifle is made in Serbia... you know what I mean?

Comment

• 17Hornet
      17Hornet commented
      Editing a comment
      The firearm in discussion is the 17hmr H&R.
      I have one in a Heavy Barrel (VERY) and it has a Hogue rubber stock.
      Ejector and quick to open, half cock safety, scope rail, no open sights.

Compared to my Ruger 17HR bolt?
      Well I like both! But they prefer different ammo.
Working...
X