Let's chat about Toz / Baikal rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's chat about Toz / Baikal rifles

I'm trying to make a detailed Youtube video about the history, development and features of the Toz rifles, starting from the Toz 7 all the way to the Toz78 / Winchester Wildcat today, and have amassed a fair amount of info, pics and links now. Though I'm reluctant to use photographs grabbed off the net without permission from their owner - which isn't that easy to do if many of them don't speak English or simply haven't left an email address.

So just thought to make a thread for people to share about their Toz 's. Most of those in Australia would be the Toz 17, Toz 17-01, and various Toz 78 / Winchester Wildcat models, but I've spotted one or two Toz 12s going around. What model do you have? Where/when did you obtain it? What do you use it for mostly? How well does it perform? Does it have any flaws or problems? What accessories do you use with it?

My Toz78-04 topped with a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x scope and a one piece mount has been my bread-and-butter gun for two years now and it is used every month to shoot rabbits and foxes. Within two months it paid for itself in meat, within six months it paid for the scope, ammo and accessories too. The main issue was the unusual-sized dovetail which is narrower than the 3/8 inch European dovetail.

I am building up an old Toz 17 rescued from the crusher because I had the spare parts that it was missing, it has a 6x Bushnell scope and likes subsonic ammo more than the Toz 78. All Tozs prior to the Toz78 came standard with the rear flip-up sights that made it hard to mount a scope with a larger objective bell, hence many on the Australian market have been ground off. (With the exception of the old original Toz 7, which has a leaf sight and I want to get hold off).

There is a very nice Toz 8 on used guns currently:
    http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=26908

"These were designed by A.A. Smirnskii. He designed the TOZ -7 in the twenties for the Soviet marksmanship program and the TOZ-8 in the 1931-32 period. The “Festival of Red Shooting” (‘Праздник Красного стрелка’) of the USSR was established in July of 1925 and was carried out under the slogan “The country must have accurate shooting” (‘Стране нужен меткий стрелок!’). In September of 1925 the Soviet government encouraged the newly formed shooting organizations with the slogan: “Proletariat! Give us accurate shooting!” (‘Пролетарии! Даешь меткого стрелка!’) This greatly increased the popularity of the shooting sports, and this in turn created a demand for both improved target models of the Nagant Service revolver and for models of .22 caliber rim fire weapons which could be used for low cost mass training in shooting in the shooting sports.

The Society for the assistance of aviation and chemistry or Osoviakhim (Общество содействая авиции и химии – Осовиахим) was founded in 1927. The following year the Soviet government gave it supervision of shooting sports development in civilian organizations. The Osoviakhim shooting cup was competed for by all organizations in the country. This competition promoted the popularity of shooting sports amongst the population (especially amongst youth) and helped individuals to learn shooting skills. A significant role in the development and popularization of sport shooting in the Soviet Union was played by Peoples Commissar of Defense of the USSR Klement Efremovich Voroshilov (Клемент Ефремович Ворошиов), a the great lover of shooting himself. Many of the snipers going into the GPW were Voroshilov shooters. "
    From here:
    http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=6910.5;wap2

Comment

I recently got hold of a Russian partisan forces manual (translated...of course) which had sections on the Mosin Nagant 1891/30 and the TOZ 8 & 9 and was going to start a thread covering that info shortly...
      Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

• kz7
        kz7 commented
        Editing a comment
        “The country must have accurate shooting” - far better than "working families"

I like them and have four of them.
      These include the 78-04, 8M, 16-1 and the most recent purchase, the 12-01 (target rifle).
      Lovely rifles each and all somtimes yielding remarkable results. I have found they can be finicky with ammo
      especially of late as it seems U.S. ammo seems to inconsistant. H.V. ammo is the go in 4/4.

Comment

• maninorange
        maninorange commented
        Editing a comment
        I am the happy owner of a 1957(ish?) Toz 12, which were a single-shot military training rifle with a heavy barrell and deadly accuracy.

I'll happily provide what info I know as well as photos if you're interested.

I've still got my Toz 17-01 I purchased with 2 mags for $100 over 10years ago.

Previous owner had slightly shorten and threaded the barrel. I've had it re-crowned and just recently modified the trigger removing a majority of the creep, tension and 1st stage.

I'm running a Nikon prostaff AO 3x9x40 along with a CREE ultrafire torch. Shoots well with CCI hollowpoint subs
      Blackline HW97K
      8mm Turkish Mauser sporterised
      TOZ17-01 .22LR
      Aya Aguirre Aranzabal 12Gauge
      .410 bonito
      .17HMR Ruger American
      CZ 527 .223 REM

Comment

• ChiefCrazyHorse
        ChiefCrazyHorse commented
        Editing a comment
        Ive got a toz 17. Great little rifle. Trigger is creepy but I wouldnt say overly heavy. Ive givin it a bit of polishing. Shoots hv over standards. Loves the velocitor bullets and is reasonable with stingers. I found mine has about a 1 in 13 1/2 barrell twist. Still has the bulbouse barrel end with the internal threading for attaching accesoies. Pity it doesnt have the front and rear sights. Would love to have it complete.

I've got the 'Winchester Wildcat' stamped toz-78. I love it. Also shoots hv over standards, and also loves cci velocitors. Shota decent group about an hour ago with power point 42max too.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0846.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	82313
      It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

Really interesting what you guys are saying about the HV's in the Toz rifles. So far I haven't had much luck with any rounds in my Toz 12-01, most notable the Remington Yellow Jackets, but I'm very keen to try the CCI Velosters.

Comment

Can anyone help and tell me how to pull the bolt apart on the TOZ 17 I am restoring

Comment

Heard that they still get imported into the US, well until they stopped the whole AK Russia thing. Are new ones being brought it? or should i look out for one of the older ones? 22 lr with the threaded muzzle looks good

Cheers

Comment

Hi interested to know if this thread is still active.
              rthanks Staffordshire

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi mostly Field and Game now, and Baikal firearms I have a SxS 30-06 a 222 single shot and the mentioned .22 at the moment but keeping an eye out for anything that catches my eye. I have my own small machine shop so fiddle around making parts if needed.

What are you interested in Staffordshire?

Comment

I've got a TOZ 78-16 - bought it new from RPG not too long ago. Is my first rifle so don't have much to compare it too. Shoots better than me, seems to be pretty happy with pretty much any ammo - haven't tried CCI stingers/velocitors or any other really high velocity ammo though. Trigger is a nice two stage adjustable unit. Length of pull is very short, so have had to add a spacer. I'm pretty happy with it.

Comment

• Paul8x57
                  Paul8x57 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm resurrecting this thread as I need a bit of help.
                  A few weeks ago I bought a Baikal TOZ 17 to take the place of one that was stolen in October last year. It's just about identical to it's predecessor except for one thing - the magazine. It uses a plastic magazine which isn't interchangeable with the earlier one which is metal. I would very much appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to find extra magazines. To assist anyone in the know out there who might read this, the rifle's serial number is 8812882 and it has "Made in the USSR" (in Russian) on the receiver, which would indicate it was made in 1991 or earlier.
                  If anyone out there can help I'd be grateful.
              Working...
              X