Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportco Forever

Good day, all.

I've been doing some reading around the net regarding the Sportco rifles. There is some information on one of the american forums that the WInchester 320 is the same rifle as the Sportco 63A. Surely this isn't true? I know that the actions were exported to the U.S., but the 320's were fitted with Winchester barrels and stocks.
    My 320 is stamped Winchester on the barrel, and Omark on the receiver. The Omark is only visible when you remove the stock, which I did for a bit of a clean.
    Also, the yanks keep referring to a Sportco 62A, surely they're mistaken and mean Sportco 63A. The Sportco 62 was a 62S, wasn't it?
    I'm really liking what I'm reading about the Sportcos. When I first got interested in rimfires and was looking around for rifles, I never entertained the idea of a Sportco. I just thought they were a bog standard 22 that bogans kept behind their ute seats. Since I got the 320, I'm really enjoying it. I'm looking at getting a 63A.
    I'd love to see pics of some of the Sportcos out there. Maybe even start a bit of a Sportco pic thread, who knows. Any way, any info that people can share would be great.
    have a really, really nice day!!

Well I will kick of with my Sportco 90 (Pump) .22
    Runs of a 10 round magazine (not in the picture)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sportco90.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	44250

It has had the firing pin reshaped and the barrel has been cerakoted

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      The 320 Winchester is based on the 66 action. They both share the same mag and the same mag holding problems.

Deano

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Browndawg" post=31329
      Well I will kick of with my Sportco 90 (Pump) .22
      Runs of a 10 round magazine (not in the picture)

It has had the firing pin reshaped and the barrel has been cerakoted
      That scope setup looks bloody horrible - not my cuppa at all.
      Attached Files

Deano, I've had absolutely no problems what so ever with the magazine falling out. It's quite snug and secure and cycles very well. The only problem is sourcing the right spares. I had one sent down from Gold Coast Shooter's Supplies, he assured me it was the right one, but it wasn't. Oh well, apparently there are two variations of the Winchester/Sportco magazine. I'll just have to keep looking. By the way, I was chasing up the Anschutz's at the range with the 320 a couple of weeks ago. The range officer reckons if I get a better scope, ie target one, and get the trigger lightened, I might make a few of them nervous!! HAHAAHAA !!! AS IF!!!! Anyway, it's all good fun.

Comment

Browndawg, that's a really nice pumpie you've got there. What do you use it for mostly? Tell me a bit about it if you don't mind, like where'd you get it from, etc.
      I"m just hanging out for Sportco stories.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by koolman" post=31447
        Browndawg, that's a really nice pumpie you've got there. What do you use it for mostly? Tell me a bit about it if you don't mind, like where'd you get it from, etc.
        I"m just hanging out for Sportco stories.
        Koolman, Have been out of shooting for a lot of years and just got back into it this year with my 16 year old son. My first two rifles this time round were a Ruger 223 stainless MkII and this Sportco
        I got both from a mate who basically threw this one in with the ruger, for an xtra $100.00

It originally had a cheap fixed 4x scope that didn't seem to focus too well, There was no rear iron site and I scored the Tasco Red Dot sight for nix from another friend.

It initially had a few issues where it would not fire every time and in some cases only 2 or 3 rounds out of a magazine. I tried different ammo with similar results and dismantled it myself for a look and clean out some of the years of gunk built up, as it all appeared to be soft strikes causing the drama.

Next was a trip to the LGS and they reshaped the firing pin, now no misfires at all.

The outside of the barrel was rusty and pitted to a degree when I obtained it, and again, through one of the guys at the LGS (also a Forum member on the old site) I dropped in the barrel for Cerakoting. It came up a treat and now an old dodgy looking 22 looks quite respectable.

To date I have only used it for a bit of plinking at the range and a property I go to.
        It is also a great rifle to practice my unsupported shooting without the ammo expense of the 223 or my 308.

I wouldn't mind chasing up another Mag for it but they cost about $100 from what I've seen on the net.

With the Red Dot Scope it is a great fun gun to shoot

Well thats the history if it in my possession

Saw what appeared to be a nice 63A on Used Guns a few days ago - Sold quickly.
      My 40+ model is as nice a hunting .22LR as I've ever handled with more than sufficient accuracy for field use.
      Rolf Hey from Acme Engineering tidied mine up a bit a couple of years ago - Think it actually looks and performs better than new.
      Here's the rifle and a couple of 50 yard groups shot while zeroing the scope:

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	44543

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	44544

Comment

Alan, that's one beautiful Sportco. Funny you should mention the one on usedguns a couple of days ago, as a matter of fact it sold quickly because I got it!
        I just couid not resist. Hopefully it's as nice as yours. I won't have my grubby little hands on it for a few weeks yet.

Comment

• allan
          allan commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by koolman" post=31663
          Alan, that's one beautiful Sportco. Funny you should mention the one on usedguns a couple of days ago, as a matter of fact it sold quickly because I got it!
          I just couid not resist. Hopefully it's as nice as yours. I won't have my grubby little hands on it for a few weeks yet.
          There's what looks like a decent 320 on Used Guns to-night too

I've had a few sportcos over the years. They're mostly basic, utility guns built to use. At present I've got a 90 and 93 pump action 22. Why on gods great earth some other company hasn't clued onto a box mag 22 Pumpy is a mystery. The old semis (71's?) were basic but worked

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Thought I would revive this thread because I bought a 63a (same as the one in allan's photo above) on the way home from work today The shop only got it in late last week.
          I was keen on getting something different, so this fits the bill! It has a lovely dark walnut stock, bluing looks good overall, couple of scratches on the stock and it looks like it has never been cleaned. The action is nice and smooth and the bore looked good.
          Very happy camper..
          So what ammo do you guys recommend I start with?

On recommendation from my Dad, I've recently picked up a 63A he found. He gave the stock a birthday for me, and it's in now having all metal ceracoted. Plan is to put a Yukon Photon on it when they hit the market and the factory (?) threaded barrel on it is an interesting bonus.

Will look at posting a pic when it's done. They're classic rifles.
        Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Comment

Royale47, you will not look back my friend. Once Sportco has gotten under your skin, it's inoperable and could lead to financial destruction and partner problems!! :lol:
          Great rifles. So much more they did with so much less. Since I picked up my 63A, I've got a Sportco Martini Clubmaster, I know it's not entirely a Sportco, and a Winchester 320,(Omark receiver), and am eyeballing a Sportco 62A, but they want just a little too much for it I think.
          I hate to say it, but my 63A loves Remingington Golden Bullets. Who'd of thunk it? It actually shoots everything really well, and won't miss a target unless the dickhead hanging off of the trigger isn't doing his job!
          I've been talking to a few people around the traps, and it seems the older model 22's seem to like the higher velocity ammo more. Don't know it it's true or not, but I know with my older ones, the HV rounds go really well.
          Enjoy your rifle mate, the Sportcos are a not-so-well-kept secret!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks Varminator.
            It just looked good and had a good feel to it, sounds like I won't go too far wrong.
            I'll give the golden bullets a go, among others.
            Will post a picture when I get it
            Cheers

My old 63A shoots most ammo. quite well.
          Performs best with SK Standard Plus on targets (Don't waste any "high end" ammo. here) and will keep 10 SK HV hollow points under an inch at 50 given favourable conditions.
          I have tried Power Points in it a few times - They do fine but I've yet to see a decent rim fire which wouldn't shoot them OK.

Comment

Jorge_in_Oz, I believe what we have there sir, is a Model 15. I'm kind of glad to see you still have it.

Comment

Wow! Just like mine. Well done, old mate. They are exceptional, the 63A's.
              Will shoot anything just fine, but get impressive groups with good ammo, and very good results with the Old Remmo Golden jobs.
              You know what, no one makes a rifle like that anymore. She's a keeper, but if you ever, ever need to find a new home for it, let me know.
              By the way, love the feel of the fore stock.
              Built and shoots like a rifle should.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by koolman" post=96437
                Wow! Just like mine. Well done, old mate. They are exceptional, the 63A's.
                Will shoot anything just fine, but get impressive groups with good ammo, and very good results with the Old Remmo Golden jobs.
                You know what, no one makes a rifle like that anymore. She's a keeper, but if you ever, ever need to find a new home for it, let me know.
                By the way, love the feel of the fore stock.
                Built and shoots like a rifle should.
                Thanks guys!
                You're not wrong Koolman, I'm defo a convert to the Sportco fanboi club )
                I agree, the way the checkering wraps around the fore end is a very nice touch!
                Look forward to seeing how she shoots at the range with a decent rest and an assortment of ammo

That's a fine example of a 63A for sure - You will have a lot of fun with that rifle.
              I see you've made a great choice on the scope too - Can't understand why I don't see more Clearidge scopes around - I have the RM and Leupold 3-9 EFR's and the Clearidge gives nothing away IMO.
              Should you experience any light strikes or mis-fires, J&P Gunsprings in the US sell a striker spring for the Kimber 82G which is a drop in - I replaced mine with a J&P offering a few years ago - Can't recall a light strike since.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by allan" post=96564
                That's a fine example of a 63A for sure - You will have a lot of fun with that rifle.
                I see you've made a great choice on the scope too - Can't understand why I don't see more Clearidge scopes around - I have the RM and Leupold 3-9 EFR's and the Clearidge gives nothing away IMO.
                Should you experience any light strikes or mis-fires, J&P Gunsprings in the US sell a striker spring for the Kimber 82G which is a drop in - I replaced mine with a J&P offering a few years ago - Can't recall a light strike since.
                Thanks mate.
                I actually looked into the Clearidge scopes on your recommendation on the old forum and ended up buying one...so Thanks for the advice! They are a great little scope, very bright, clear glass on them, nice and light too.
                Cheers for the heads up on the striker spring as well
            Working...
            X