Range Report for the Savage Mk2/Boyds Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report for the Savage Mk2/Boyds Combo

I decided to take the Little Savage Mk2 and the Ruger Mk2 Hawkeye for a trip to the range to sight them in after putting them both in Boyds Stocks. Well it was blowing an absolute gale with 30-40km/h winds which wasn't evident when I left home (it was breezy but nothing like what was happening at the range) anyway I was here and figured I might as well give it a go and at least have it on paper and do any adjustments later on if needed.

The other thing I had to battle with were the bloody flies! FMD I haven't eaten that many flies in ages! They were just ridiculous to say the least, I'm definitely getting some rid or something for the range bag, buggered If I'll going to put up with that situation again.

Anyway I did the ol 1 shot then Zero method, saves wasting time and money burning ammo unnecessarily (a really good method if your using a cal that really belts you or costs a lot to run) its also a dead simple method of getting the rifle zeroed. All you do is put the Xhair on the POA, shoot, keep the rifle nice and steady keeping the Xhairs on the POA you originally shot at and then start adjusting the turrets till the Xhair is now on the bullet hole you just shot - your rifle is now Zeroed! Then its just a matter of fine tuning if needed.

Anyway the Savage seems to like CCI Standard Velocity and Power Point Subs, which is good as I have a brick of the Subs and a few boxes of the CCI's.

Anyway here's the results so far with the first outing with the little Savage - Look out bunnies! :lol:

All groups shot at 50m using a 6x Jap Tasco Scope

1st Group using CCI SV's on a clean bore

Win 40gn Power Point Subs

Also put a couple of shells through the Ruger Mk2 Hawkeye, at first I though the POI was way out as I couldn't see any holes in the paper, but I moved to another target, did a shot and could see a mark on one of the lines and though oh its shooting ok so proceeded to shoot the other 4 shots and it appears to be shooting fine, no loss of accuracy with opening up the barrel channel considerably. (I was a little concerned as to how that would go as Ruger use the pressure bedding method) but it appears to be fine either way. thank christ for that!

Anyway here's a pic of the only group shot with the little Ruger (getting too late to keep going unfortunately. (I'm still using the handloads my mate made up when he owned the rifle (his first attempt at handloading) once these are finished I will start my on load development and see if I can improve on the results so far (which aren't too bad to be honest (the wife and I haven't missed anything with this little rifle so far, so she can't be too bad a shooter!). :lol:
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Nicely done!

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mister" post=29916
      Nicely done!
      Cheers mate, she'll do nicely for training the Daughter on how to shoot and hunt bunnies etc.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Most Mk2 savage 22lr seem to love the cci std velocity ammo, I've found though its a bit prone to flyers and sometimes you get batches that are not so good 9I shoot bench rest with mine...well, I try to!)
      If you really want to see what the savage will do, get hold of some eley match, I've just started shooting that and believe me, results improved dramatically!
      I regularly shot groups in the .3 to .5 sizes, but often a great group would be spoiled by one flyer with the cci.
      Switched to the eley and no more flyers, its expensive at about 14 to 15 bucks a box but if you're chasing the best group, try it!

Can't go wrong with the MK2
    Mine likes the SK ammo, sweet little groups with both the SK Standard and SK Match.
    It also likes CCI mini mag and CCI standards. Heck it even likes the cheap Federal Bulk packs
    Such a fun little rifle. I bet the daughter won't want to stop once she gets started!
    We use 43 muscles to frown,
    17 to smile,
    and 2 to pull a trigger.
    I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El Slaughtero" post=30136
      Can't go wrong with the MK2
      Mine likes the SK ammo, sweet little groups with both the SK Standard and SK Match.
      It also likes CCI mini mag and CCI standards. Heck it even likes the cheap Federal Bulk packs
      Such a fun little rifle. I bet the daughter won't want to stop once she gets started!
      Thanks for that ES, your's seems to like a lot of diff brands mate, very good to see. I know this one shoots well with the SK Match I think it was (previous owner showed some groups shot with that) so I'm confident it will still shoot well, I like the fact the cheap Feds go well, they are great just to use at the range for a bit of fun.

Cheers mate
Working...
X