thank you
    Try this link. This is where mine came from,they may be available locally

http://www.neiljones.com/html/rimfire_gauge.html
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

BRT sell one

http://www.benchrest.com.au/toolsgauges.htm#others

sinclair international also

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/hornady-lock-n-load-rimfire-thickness-gauge-prod35218.aspx
      http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/g-3-rimfire-accuracy-gauge-prod35683.aspx

steve

Comment

there's one for sale on used guns today

Comment

Thanks Tony, I saw that, there are actually two different kinds. Now what do I do?
          I need some help guys, will all of the rimfire thickness measuring gauges do the same thing, or some types better than others.
          If you have a minute to reply some time I'd appreciate it.
          cheers

Comment

With a gauge your normally only looking at variation of thickness and sorting the ammo into groups based on the variation... So unless you find a particular thickness that your gun really likes (for BR or matches) you really dont need to be sorting your ammo by the micron...
            The simpler the gauge is to read the quicker and easier it will be to use... The slide type (Refer the Neil jones link) are quick and easy to use and make sorting bulk ammo easy as they only use a single number (1 to 10) for the size reference and are easy to pop the round in and out of...

Vernier gauge types give greater accuracy (when combined with accurate measuring equipment) but can be slower to read pending on your knowledge of the measuring equipment... I personally prefer dial type callipers over digital and Vernier scale, as there are no batteries and a dial gauge IMO is much easier and faster to read than a Vernier scale...

I have used a friends slide gauge for sorting and found it simple and effective... My personal gauge is a homemade machined block of alloy with a 6mm hole drilled through it and a slot machined into the end to fit my callipers... It is accurate, but can be annoying when your trying to sort 1000 rounds from a Remmy bucket as its just not as fast to load, check measurement and load the next round...

This all depends on what type of shooting your doing... For sorting bulk for plinking, hunting or just to tighten up groups get the slide type... For BR and match shooting you want a calliper type as the more accurately you sort your ammo the better the consistency...

Comment

thank you Luke H, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm sending my fairy god mother out to your place to bestow upon you a special wish.
              Don't laugh, she's been known for a few doozies!!!!

Thanks again, so much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Koolman here is another rimfire gauge from BRT the link - http://www.benchrest.com.au/index.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	rimfiregauge.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	45482

John T

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Im going with this ATM

Name:	4.11.2013008.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	45571

Personally I think its the same thing, said a different way!

Originally posted by koolman" post=28313
                Any ideas where a bloke can get one?

thank you
                A empty .223 case can do the trick .22 lr slide's snugly into the mouth of the fired case.

Comment

• El-Skippo
                  Skip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Here is some quick pics of what i mean ( Quick,cheap,effective. What's not to like )

There is a fired .223 case from my long range bunnie buster, a Winchester power point and my main .22lr bullet of choice. The CCI quiet

Hi Koolman,
                Give Peter at ProCal Trading a call, he has them in stock, and is very knowledgable. He and his wife both shoot competitively. His number is 0408522420.
                Regards
                Les

Comment

Gidday Koolman,
                  I made a thickness gauge using a block and dial gauge, then I tried another using digital verniers both of these were hopelessly slow. I ended up finding the Gehmann sliding rim thickness tool. it has a black main body with a hole you drop the round into and a sliding tapered bar, basically you slide the bar till it stops and the alignment marks show the thickness. its very fast and I can thickness 500 rounds in just over an hour, I usually do 5 boxes at a time though while watching TV or something.
                  Its very accurate and easy to use, I bought it from Graeme Forbes at Forbes Wholesale email - [email protected] and web - www.forbesws.com.au
                  Graeme is very easy to deal with and quick to despatch.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hers my first sorting tray, maybe you can see the measurements scrawled on the side.

Name:	4.11.2013009.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	45704

and subsequent ones.

Name:	8.11.2013014.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	45703

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dan How much did that rim thickness gauge cost from Forbes please
                    kind regards ben

Thanks for that Skip, I all ready have a Hornby one a lot like yours but it takes so long to test a brick and I am not sure how accurate my digital callipers are because I can re measure them after I have tested them all and sometimes get different head thicknesses. That gets pretty confusing fast.

Comment

• El-Skippo
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by The Jet" post=43543
                    Thanks for that Skip, I all ready have a Hornby one a lot like yours but it takes so long to test a brick and I am not sure how accurate my digital callipers are because I can re measure them after I have tested them all and sometimes get different head thicknesses. That gets pretty confusing fast.
                    I made the above one for a preemptive on getting a descent .22lr ( Lithgow one ) in 2014 Well it better be descent . I am thinking along the line's of a dial caliper for this task and not a digi one ( Just did it with a digi, for pic's purpose )
                Working...
                X