A lot quieter here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest commented on 's reply
    Channel billed cuckoo's make a racket. I've heard them called "whingeing woman birds".

When you listen to them you'll understand why.

Guest replied
    It's a persistent noise

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoBlkaGJk4s&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGoBlkaGJk4s

Leave a comment:

• Pendous
    replied
    I actually find the sound of the Koels pleasant.
    I think its more the association with the time of day.
    Seem to get noisy here just as the edge is coming of the heat of the day.
    The Channel-Billed Cuckoos, they are annoying. They start up sometimes in middle of the night.

Leave a comment:

• Emptee
    commented on Guest's reply
    Originally posted by Asheep" post=21110
    There's a pair of the noisy buggers that have taken up residence near my place. It's the only time I've ever seen Butcher birds, Noisy Mynas, Currawongs and Ravens working together! They actually killed one of the bloody things when it tried to lay eggs in a Currawong's nest... Big mistake! Now there's only one of them, and it's sure to disappear soon. You're right, you never see them outside of nesting season... I wonder where they go?
    As much as I'd love to, I'm a little too suburban to whip out the Air Rifle and pick them off! :lol:

Cheers,
    Alex
    I'm pretty shore they come down from New Guinea for our summer then return..at least that's what I read somewhere.

Those cuckoos are also known as the crucifix bird..look up when one is in flight and you will see why. Saw 5 of them once fly over head n guess what, they flew in the shape of a crucifix..it was quite something to see.

Guest replied
    There's a pair of the noisy buggers that have taken up residence near my place. It's the only time I've ever seen Butcher birds, Noisy Mynas, Currawongs and Ravens working together! They actually killed one of the bloody things when it tried to lay eggs in a Currawong's nest... Big mistake! Now there's only one of them, and it's sure to disappear soon. You're right, you never see them outside of nesting season... I wonder where they go?
    As much as I'd love to, I'm a little too suburban to whip out the Air Rifle and pick them off! :lol:

Cheers,
    Alex

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic A lot quieter here!

A lot quieter here!

Without a couple of Koels, noisy buggers and I think one distracts other birds off their nest with their boring call and the female cuckoo flys in and lays the egg, anyway one pair aren't doing it any more!
    And one unusual thing is one doesn't see many cuckoos hanging around after they have left the nest, they all seem to turn up t nesting time but aren't here any other time?
Working...
X