.17 wsm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .17 wsm

hi ,I cant see any topics relating to this rifle yet so lets see if anyone is interested in this new cartridge

.17 WSM ,
    I would love to get my hands on one to try out, I already own a .22 WMR and would like to go down the .17 path, my next rifle up is a .243 and would like something in between, I have considered the .204 ruger - but would rather keep to the rimfire cartridge I think.
    The rifle that Savage has on offer looks too cheap for my money and would like to see if any other makes come on board .

so what does every one think.
    cheers

One thing I like about rim fires is the very cheap bulk ammo and they are very quiet for smaller properties or where the noise of a centrefire is considered a nuisence. For me 17hmr already pushes both those boundaries a little bit loud and pricey on bulk ammo .
    I have a 204 but its too loud for property I shoot on the most but even the 17hmr is too loud their unless the owners are out. They don't like the noise. I think the 17wsm will only push those noise and cost boundaries further .
    I'd guess some large properties wouldn't like late night spotlighting with loud centre fires and the 17 hmr might fill that gap but most people I know for small game spotlighting on smaller properties use 22lr subs or low velocity ammo .

Comment

.17HMR has been around now for a few years. the .17wsm will have trouble selling into an existing small niche marketplace.
      A lot of .17HMR Rifles are offered for sale shortly after people have bought them because they were disappointed with a .17 cal rimfire.

If you think you need a .17 calibre why not a .17 Hornet (twice the energy)
      And .22wmr has nearly the same muzzle energy as the .17WSM
      [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
      [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
      [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
      [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
      [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Spurious
        Spurious commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have to agree with 'Shooting Sports' suggestion. The 17 Hornet is a great, versatile little cartridge. If I was in the market for another small calibre rifle, I'd seriously consider it.

Taken from huntandshoot.com.au . . . . .

Two new 17cal cartridges have been released by major manufacturers in the last year or so, lets have a look at the 17WSM and the 17 Hornet (by Hornady) and get your opinion on which one (if any or both) will still be here in 5 years.

First up you have the 17 Hornet by Hornady. Originally developed by P O Ackley Hornady started producing this cartridge in 2012. It is based of the 22 Hornet case and is a centrefire cartridge, capable of propelling a 20gn VMax bullet at 3650fps. Brass is reloadable.

The 17WSM or 17 Winchester Super Magnum was announced at the US Shot Show in Las Vegas 2013. Based off of a 27cal nail gun blank case, it will fire a 20gn projectile at 3000 fps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	17hornet.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	34868

Cartridge comparison (left to right): 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Hornet, and 17 WSM.

And the bonus is that it is fully reloadable.

plenty of experience with a 17hmr.
      I have one. its great to shoot, but personally I'd rather an accurate 22mag, cos its got more oomph at the other end.
      opinions will vary on this, but I've found the hmr a bit on the light side.
      I truly think the 17wsm will definitely have more grunt that the 17hmr.
      it has to! bigger pill, going faster.
      I would say that if you want more, its up to the center fires.
      if its price you're worried about, the good ol' 17rem, or even 222 & 223 can be cheap to feed.
      would I like to have a 17wsm? you betchya. as long as it wasn't a commercial flop long term.
      but then again, i'm also a 17fireball fan.
      I wouldn't be too worried about price.
      the last time Winchester tried to re-invent the cartridge world it just about crippled them. I wouldn't think they'd do it twice by not having a competitive price.
      just show me one in a quality rifle though, then I might be guilty of a little drool. .
      hmmm,...could be a future project for me.

Comment

• Emptee
        Emptee commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=19914
        plenty of experience with a 17hmr.
        I have one. its great to shoot, but personally I'd rather an accurate 22mag, cos its got more oomph at the other end.
        I truly think the 17wsm will definitely have more grunt that the 17hmr.
        it has to! bigger pill, going faster.
        I would say that if you want more, its up to the center fires.
        if its price you're worried about, the good ol' 17rem, or even 222 & 223 can be cheap to feed.
        would I like to have a 17wsm? you betchya. as long as it wasn't a commercial flop long term.
        but then again, i'm also a 17fireball fan.
        I wouldn't be too worried about price.
        the last time Winchester tried to re-invent the cartridge world it just about crippled them. I wouldn't think they'd do it twice by not having a competitive price.
        just show me one in a quality rifle though, then I might be guilty of a little drool. .
        hmmm,...could be a future project for me.
        What he said and.....I wouldn't want to be buying a brick of those things when they come out..hate to think what the price would be here.

After a 22 17hmr 223 and a 308 what else is needed if your hunting.

• xcat
        xcat commented
        Editing a comment
        [quote="Send-it" post=19914]plenty of experience with a 17hmr.

thanks all,
        I agree with the above quote, and that where this started out - I was looking for a replacement for my .22 WMR marlin that has just about had it, the trigger is crap - so heavy and cant get a trigger upgrade for it. every gun shop I have been in tells me the 22 mag is crap and I need to go for .17 hmr. I shoot more foxes than rabbits these days ( I have a FX Royale 400 for rabbits out to 80 mts ).
        I don't have time to reload these days and that why I was banking on the .17 WSM for cheaper shooting, looks like I will look harder at the .204 but between $27 > $44 for 20 rounds is nuts vs $35 for 50 shots
        or I go back and find a top line new .22 MAG.
        so hard !

My mate in the US got fed up with the problems he had with his (and he isn't alone), ejector problems it was the second one after it had been sent away to be fixed under warranty that was the straw that broke the camels back for him. His LGS offered him a new replacement 17WSM or his full money back or a credit. He now eradicates groundhogs and coyotes with a 17 hornet and said he regretted getting the 17WSM in the first place but was caught up in all the hype surrounding it and that of his shooters group.

Supply quantity and consistent supply was another problem he had too, imagine how long it will take for Aust. to get reasonable supplies sent to us. When I first read about and saw video's of them and their velocity and range and trajectory etc I was caught up in the hype, but now am over the 17WSM without having fired one, certainly if someone had one down the track and said "do you want a go" I wouldn't say no but it's now not on my wish list.

But if you want one then it's your choice and good luck and good onya too, that's what shooting is all about, getting and using what you like to shoot and what does the job for you. I think if the rifle wasn't rushed into production and a couple of other manufacturers get on-board and the standard/quality is raised then it has potential to be a sweet little shooter.

Comment

By the sounds of it the .17wsm is just going to push a 20 grn bullet 500 fps faster than the 17hmr . I guess it will be a little flatter a bit more impact ,louder and dearer ammo than the 17hmr . I myself prefer the 204 over all those 17's it pushes a 32grner at 4225fps.

Comment

The .17wsm on paper at least is an interesting one. Flat shooting ideal vermin rimfire round. I think it has its place (assuming you can get a decent reliable rifle with it).

It is a rimfire and think really should be compared to other rimfire rounds. .17 hornet/fireball/rem etc will give a lot more speed/punch etc but unless you reload they are considerably more exy to shoot. I reload and enjoy it, I actually look forward to a bad weather day so I can get stuck into it. I still like using a rimfire for spot lighting bunnies, esp when there are a couple of others (often kids) with you. They can let off rounds as needed and dont have to worry about collecting brass. I often use the .17HMR for this.

I spoke to my old mate at my LGS the other day and he said he recently saw ammo pricing and it looked around the same as the 17HMR, some were a bit cheaper. If you dont reload I could see the benefit of it. Near CF performance, no recoil a bit more stopping power and distance than HMR and cheaper to feed than CF.

I have done a lot of shooting with 22LR and 22mag and now .17HMR. For a rabbit busting rimifire it looks like it would be ideal. Looks like it will be pretty flat shooting to 170 (HMR is pretty flat to 120m).

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Vromme" post=20241

Looks like it will be pretty flat shooting to 170 (HMR is pretty flat to 120m).

I'm not sure that graph is very accurate . the 20 grn 17hmr ammo i have apparently does 2550 fps for instance . maybe to make the 17 wsm look more appealing . I m sure my 17 hmr shoots flatter than that . If I had to choose between the 22mag 17hmr, 17 wsm and the 204 .it would be the 204 using reloads hands down . But having another calibre around won't hurt just wish they would make 22 Lr ammo with ballistic tips as well in sub and sonic loads . Can some one have a talk to cci for me :P

The .204 is way more fun, very high velocity, accurate, bugger all recoil, a pleasure to shoot. Worth paying what the factory ammo costs....buy a case at a time or more, works out a lot cheaper to run if not reloading.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

xcat,
            you'll be disappointed in the 17hmr if you plan on using it as a fox gun, more than a rabbit gun.
            many will disagree.
            but I've persevered that much with 17hmr's on foxes with all the ammo brands/weights etc. trying to believe what others were trying to tell me, and I still came to the conclusion that it just wasn't enough bullet to drop them on the spot.
            been guilty of sending a fox off into the scrub only to die a slow death somewhere, too many times.
            even lost a couple from head shots.
            and no,.....its not coz i'm taking long shots (50m to 100m on average, when using it).
            22 mag is a better bet.
            that's why i'm hoping you get a 17wsm and give us a review.
            just my 2 cents.

Comment

Yep the 17hmr can be a splash round with head shots on the bigger stuff . Guess the 223 would be a good option for cheap ammo and reliable on foxes .was thinking what's an extra 450 fps going to do to a 20 grain .17 cal projectile . Flatter but still very light.
              I kinda kept wondering why are they so keen to keep pushing the boundries out with the rimfires. When you can step up to a reloadable centrefire like a 223 or 204 with miles better performance .Some people can reload centrefires cheaper than feeding the high end rimfires .I think in america and possibly around the world there are restrictions on where you can use a centre fire hunting , spotlighting and at ranges .You may only be able to shoot rimfires in certain areas . In those areas there will be people keen too buy the best performing rimfire they can buy .
              Also least with the 17hmr it shares the same case as the 22wmr so if it ever becomes hard to supply ammo for you could rebarrel it to the ever popular 22wmr not sure about the 17wsm thou its case is bigger .
              I wonder if hornady 17hmr ammo has been any cheaper lately
              Cheers Clint

Comment

• ASD14
                ASD14 commented
                Editing a comment
                Personally, I am going to disagree with majority here.. Ive personally had a anschutz in .17m2, 22mag and currently have one in .17hmr, and i prefer the 17hmr to all the others hands down. Its far more accurate, flat shooting, plenty of grunt for rabbits, foxes and cats out to 100m and hell, its slightly diffrent from the rest of the bunch (.22mag).

I think the 17wsm is going to set the rimfire world on fire, its going to be a relatively cheap, quiet round that will push the boundaries of rimfire varminting out to 150m all day every day. It has far more hitting power than the .22mag and shoots a lot flatter than the 17hmr.. Once the big manufactures (sako, cz, anschutz) bring out there rifles in this calibre its game on for me. This is just my 2c anyway. cheers

I love the HMR and have to date not lost a fox yet, but like anything else conditions dictate what would be a better choice.

I would agree that if primarily after foxes and using a sit wait strategy with a caller type scenario you may not be able to ensure good bullet placement, I would go the WMR in that case..more punch.

I don't find myself in that situation, I always have a good rest for bullet placement and more often than not its head shot easily, the hmr is flatter too and covers my needs better because I will always encounter 40 or more rabbits for every fox I see and then throw in the cats as well.

CCI's 20gn JSP round I've found to be the best for hitting foxes with, but I deliberately heart shot a medium size fox with a Fed Vmax and it dropped on the spot so go figure.

As side issue to this topic, I would recommend shooters look at the anatomy of target species their after as certain vital organs can be further away from where they may think. ...Eg A pigs heart...so many would be thinking they are heart lung shooting when in reality they have been gut shooting them.

Comment

• SNOOPY
                SNOOPY commented
                Editing a comment
                Got to be honest, im a 17 fan, cant comment much on the rimfire side as I don't know a heck of a lot about them, but over the years ive had the 221 mach 4, 17 rem, and now the 17 Remington fireball. I cant fault it as a fox and small game cal. Bit temperamental in windy conditions and long grass can be a problem as well, factory ammo tends to wander a bit, but deadly accurate if you load your own.

I tried long and hard to get the HMR to work for me, but couldn't. Now after shooing my WMR a lot, I am a firm believer that the heavier 40GN pills kill foxes and cats a lot better with less that perfect shots (rear quatering, raking etc). I never shot past 80 meters with my HMR and still don't with my WMR. I just feel that is the best range (on foxes) for the rimfires.

That said, I did think hat the WSM would be my next purchase to get me out to those shy foxes at 150 but ended up getting a Sako L461 Vixen in .222 which I am now loading for and getting MOA groups at 200m. I honestly think if you want to step up from a HMR/WMR you should just but a small caliber centerfire, there are plenty of great options I wouldn't plunk my money down on something that is unproven, has questionable ammo availability, looks like the starship enterprise and can't be accurised through reloading.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Far too many options, I wish I hadn't read it! Ill settle for a .22 hornet one day and be done with it.
            Working...
            X