Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Mark ii FVSR vs TRR-SR

hi everyone!

just weighing up two options on my first rifle, between the savage mark ii FVSR and TRR-SR models..

i like the tacicool* look, bigger bolt nob and the 16" short barrel of the FVSR (cons: basic stock which i would change to a boydes) but they seem to be on back order everywhere

Anyone know when they will be back in stock or anyone to selling one?

i also like the TRR-SR model which has the longer barrel, tactical rail mounts and boydes stock already which are in stock most places i believe.

im really wanting to hold out (if i can) for the FVSR model but i just really want to purchase my first rifle asap and get plinking haha

can anyone recommend either of these savage rifles or suggest something similar they'd recommend as a first rifle

Click image for larger version

Name:	y368Zlzsj_1fzw1fMb3.png
Views:	2
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	33328
    FVSR

Click image for larger version

Name:	H5h7SUfhy_PnY58zEQ5.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	33329

TRR-SR

thanks,
    Jeeperz

Whats the price difference?

I'd prefer the TRR. 20 inch barrels are still pretty short.

Comment

• Jeeperz24
      Jeeperz24 commented
      Editing a comment
      FVSR Retail anywhere from $540-$570

TRR iv seen from $820-$950

thats gun only no optics or accessories

so that is a key factor also $$$$$$ haha

Mate if you are looking at buying the Boyds tacticool stock for the FV-SR at a later date unfortunetly boyds won't ship that particular stock due to ITAR restrictions. I enquired this time last year and they said no. Pain in the arse I know so in my opinion you would be better getting the TRR-SR and shortening it to 18"-20" only if you want that particular stock. If not go the FV-SR.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Atirau" post=17919
      Mate if you are looking at buying the Boyds tacticool stock for the FV-SR at a later date unfortunetly boyds won't ship that particular stock due to ITAR restrictions. I enquired this time last year and they said no. Pain in the arse I know so in my opinion you would be better getting the TRR-SR and shortening it to 18"-20" only if you want that particular stock. If not go the FV-SR.
      Mate I just Boyds stock posted to me in Australia, as long as its under 100 dollarsnot including postage it fine look at Boyds web site

I have a FV-SR and i love it. She is without optics at the moment tho. I have used both of these rifles and found the TRR nicer to hold in its stock form. If you are dead keen on the Tacticool Stock then go for the TRR if not go for the stumpy. Stay tuned my FV-SR will look like this soon......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuuUZZF3sqs
    Formally know as 462......

Comment

• Slo355
      Slo355 commented
      Editing a comment
      G'day mate I own a fvsr as well it's a nice little 22 and rather accurate. The only let down being the stock, it really is cheap plastic but worth over looking for a short bunny/target platform. Although I haven't shot a trr I would love one in .17hmr. As I reckon the stocks might be interchangeable. Btw I waited 5 months for mine and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck mate which way you go.

i got an FVSR and i would pick that any day. longer barrels in 22lr are useless. you only need 16" for good powder burn. the 16" barrel will also be a lot lighter and handier. if you want some rails just buy a magpul rail section and install it on the underside of the stock. thats what i have done. i see no advantage in the TRR except for the stock. not worth the extra money in my opinion. Get the FVSR, it wont disappoint you. check out nutnfacy's review. it will help you make up your mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOcy7KUj67g

Comment

I ran into this issue a few months back... I was looking at a TRR-SR untill I put up a similar thread on the other forum...

Reguardless of the stock, its still the same barreled action... Stock choice can make the difference in purchasing a firearm, but in the case of a MII there are plenty of other options... Like the Leopard and many others... I havent seen an aftermarket stock for a MII for more than $300...
      As mentioned earlier the Boyds tactical stock for the MII is ITAR restricted... But it is only a painted black timber stock for near $900... For that money you could get a real nice CZ new or even an Annie... Both suggested guns would (if maintained correctly) last a life time or 3 (your grand kids would thank you) and be just as or more accurate than the Savage...
      For the money of the TRR you could buy a FVSR and new stock and a brick or 2 of ammo, or a good bi-pod or whatever you want...

I do like the FVSR short heavy barrel and have seen them group well at 50m... The short barrel is great for out of a vehicle and with a .22LR all the powder is burned in the barrel by 12-17 inches (pending on ammo) so the only time you need a full length barrel is for iron sights (longer sight radius = better accuracy) which the FVSR doesnt have... But as said before the stock isnt flash or Tacticool... But is a $100 Boyds stock worth the extra $400 you pay for the gun?

The only thing that put me off getting a FVSR was the wait... I couldnt get an ETA from the LGS or importer for the last import lot, nor could anyone tell me if I could get one in that lot, nor did anyone know when the next lot was coming... So I purchased a shotgun instead and decided to wait for the LA101 before making a decision... But this may have changed in recent months, so just check around a few shops and the supplier for further details...

CZ also have a bull barrel... Have a look at one of those if you still want to spend around the $900 mark...

Comment

I love my TRR-SR. I haven't shot it much but its always stacks of fun.

Having said that I probably would have gotten the FVSR if I saw it available at the time. I think it comes down to if you want tacticool out of the box go the TRR-SR if you want to put a bit of work into pimping it out just right go the FVSR

Comment

Since I finally got my Boyds stock all fitted up to my FV-SR, I thought I would put up some pics. Stock is the Rimfire Hunter in Pepper Laminate.

PS: You should get the stumpy...
          Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...

Comment

• Varminator
            Varminator commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Mini Hulk" post=19604
            Since I finally got my Boyds stock all fitted up to my FV-SR, I thought I would put up some pics. Stock is the Rimfire Hunter in Pepper Laminate.

PS: You should get the stumpy...
            Very nice mate, well done.
        Working...
        X