Lever Actions... Where Are They?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lever Actions... Where Are They?

Ruger 96/22 Dang things are harder to find than the Scarlet Pimpernel. But I did find one asking a few bricks short of $2k. Hmmm, must have gold lined parts.

Winchester 9422... And I thought Rugers were hard to find... available of Winchester = SOLD. Hurumph.

Marlin 39A. Great reviews while being made by Marlin. But since Remington took over production in 2007/2008, reviews are crap. So... get one Before the buyout and you're good to go. Just make sure the serial number does NOT start with a MR. Unless, all their QC issues are fixed? Anyone know? Yeah But... join the Ruger club for 2nd hand ones.

Henry? Sure. Oh wait, that's right. no-one around these here parts sells the darn things.

Browning? Yeah, think I'll have better luck finding that Ruger.

Norinco? Um, yeah, sounds like the name of the waiter at the local Japanese restaurant.

So what's the deal? People just hold on to the ones they have cause they are so into John Wayne or what?

New / 2nd Hand... they're like hen's teeth in these neck of the woods.

So it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to get a Henry "sight unheld" from another state, the way things are. So.... anyone have any inside goss on the Henry. From all accounts they are good. Then, so were the Marlins. Course, I could exhibit some patience and wait for a reasonably priced 96/22 to show sometime between now and the next extinction level event on our ball of mud. But what of all the lever fun I miss in the meantime?

i have noticed there arn't many .22 around so my advise double the .22 and get a .44

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I own a Henry h100 .22 lever action and I have to say the thing is pretty darn good. Very smooth action, groups well and has nice(not awesome) woodwork. The barrel blue is deep and of good quality but I think the receiver is actually painted. Only issues I have are when I cycle the action with less purpose some rounds can fail to chamber. Easily fixed by cycling the action more decisively. Also had an issue with the front sight being too low, called Henry and are sending me a new one, no questions asked.
      Brought from gun emporium in tullamarine, Melbourne for 640 ish. Can't remember exact figure.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Don't knock the Norinco firearms. I have had personal dealings with the M14 and Ithaca 12g pump copies, when they were legal, and the 1911 .45 pistol and the bolt and lever .22 copies, and all the ones I had worked well, accurate and reliable, and inexpensive, a bit rough around the edges, but these are not wall hangers.

I picked up the lever about a year ago in my LGS for $325. They had bought a box of Norinco parts and built a few rifles from them (gunsmiths on staff). So i got it for that price rebuilt by a very reputable gunsmith (Pine Rivers) and with a year warranty.

Got a $25 (delivered) red dot scope, $22 (delivered) torch, mount and remote switch of evil bay for a bit of fun. The rifle prefers CCI HVHP ammo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reddot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	33039

Name:	2012-10-0721.20.48.jpg
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	33040

Name:	2012-08-1815.38.32.jpg
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	33041

Name:	2012-10-0721.25.06.jpg
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	33042

Just shop around and keep an eye on the used guns areas of your local LGS, something could pop up any time.

Good luck

Rich

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Winchester 9422 that I bought new around 1993 from mick smiths - walked a fair way down george st with it to my dad's car and nobody really cared its basically in mint condition. I never really use it since my 453varmint is my 22lr workhorse but it's a beautifully made rifle, the action is glassy and its extremely accurate - I always think of selling it since they get such good prices these days but I can never bring myself to do it! comparing it to my marlin 1894c (which was one of the last jm stamped models) reminds me of when guns were finished with care.

hope you find one - if you do hang onto it!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Aussie Rich" post=17561
      Don't knock the Norinco firearms. I have had personal dealings with the M14 and Ithaca 12g pump copies, when they were legal, and the 1911 .45 pistol and the bolt and lever .22 copies, and all the ones I had worked well, accurate and reliable, and inexpensive, a bit rough around the edges, but these are not wall hangers.

I picked up the lever about a year ago in my LGS for $325. They had bought a box of Norinco parts and built a few rifles from them (gunsmiths on staff). So i got it for that price rebuilt by a very reputable gunsmith (Pine Rivers) and with a year warranty.

Got a $25 (delivered) red dot scope, $22 (delivered) torch, mount and remote switch of evil bay for a bit of fun. The rifle prefers CCI HVHP ammo.

Just shop around and keep an eye on the used guns areas of your local LGS, something could pop up any time.

Good luck

Rich

What light attachment is that, or what do I need to search to find it?
      Attached Files

Did you see or purchase this one? great price for a pre-Remington 39:

They are certainly out there just keep looking.

Comment

I went into my LSG 8months ago looking for a 12g and came out with a BL22. I can highly recommend them.

9422s go for shit loads of $ as you've found out....all I can say is keep watching usedguns.

The only things about the browning I dislike is the factory trigger is heavy, (but hey it's not a bench rest rifle) and I don't like the "plastic" coating they put on the stock...I'd prefer just oiled timber

Comment

Yeah, it's a bit like that for .22's generally. I understand Winchester stopped making the gun that made them famous. Not a lot of Euro manufacturers even make a .22. American manufacturers of levers are thinning. Surprises me as I thought .22's were popular. I think it comes down to the fact that not a lot of people want to shell out much for a .22 and the market grinds down to the low-cost stuff. Seems lever's are quite complicated and have lots of moving parts and will always be a bit pricier than your standard bolt gun.

I have been doing a bit of research on a lever .22 as well and want to go new. There isn't a lot of choice. I keep coming back to the BL22. Like Turkey, I find Poly-coating timber stocks instead of oiling them an absolutely trashy decision and a turn-off.

Henry make some nice special/premium editions but none really take my fancy (because they are too fancy for my liking).

I keep coming back to the BL22 action ... trigger moves with the lever ... short throw ... great reliability ... well made.

Might have to get out the sandpaper....

Comment

Have a look at the Uberti silverboy this is mine I absolutely love it
          Attached Files

Comment

1. Don't knock Norinco. If you can find a JW21 and you don't buy it because of brand snobbery, you will be a, er, a silly person.

2. Not long ago, I bought a new Browning BL22 from an unnamed large LGS Also in stock were (are still) Henry 001s and Uberti Silverboys. I like the BL22 very much, but perhaps I'd have liked the Henry just as much and saved a few hundred dollars.

3. Before that, I bought a used Winnie 9422M from the same unnamed store, one of two which they had for sale. It was a reasonable price and is an awesome rifle for wild dogs, cats and fun (fun isn't lawful in Queensland, so ignore that bit).

4. If the Ruger is the one which I think it is on Used Guns, then the price just reflects supply and demand.

There are plenty around, look on Used Guns and consider postage to your state to be a worthwhile impost for one of the most enjoyable pastimes outside of a bedroom.

Comment

got two
              one,s a henry in 22 and the other is a win 9422m xtr ,both great rifles to use.
              i,d buy a henry in 22 or 22mag if i was you .

Comment

Thanks a bunch for all the replies. Apart from the new crop of Marlin's seems all brands are pretty reliable.

I believe the sides of the Henry's receiver are Zamac ( Zinc, Aluminium, Magnesium, and Copper alloy - I've heard), which is why they are painted and not blued.

Yep, Winchester prices on Available ones are above $2k. Bit too pricey for little old me.

I had a LA years ago. Cannot even remember the brand. Traded it on a 10/22. Then, some years after that, some politician decided I wasn't responsible enough for such a rifle and took it from me. I kept the mag. Now just need a 96/22 to plug it into. No biggie if I cannot find a more reasonably priced one than $1,700, as I'll keep the mag safe for when the Ruger American Rimfires hit town.

Thanks for mentioning Pine Rivers. They had slipped my mind. Just checked their website and they have a couple of Henry's. So I can at least go and hold one. And Noosa Shooters Supplies look to have a Browning or two on their website, if I feel up to an additional 90 minute drive - just noticed an older 250 model on usedguns from them without a pic hmmm.

I have no qualms about the brand of rifle. Heck, I used to own a Bently shotgun (sshhhh, don't tell anyone alright?) and a Stirling 22mag (double shush on that ) And postage is not really an issue. But I do like to hold something in my hands and have a bit of a once or twice over before buying it. My issue is no-one close buy me seems to have any LA 22s - heck, even the range of 22s in general seems poor IMO. Well, I stand corrected now with Pine Rivers website - being not really close but. QGE nothing. Rebel nothing. GC Shooters nothing. A store in Margate I think only had a 17hmr - oh, just checked their website again, now I see a Miroku 22 as well - and some Browning's too maybe, if they are still available. A call might be in order. Still not really that close, but closer than Noosa HA!

Hey, being from Qld - and - owning a motorbike, I am fully versed in not being allowed to have fun. But I do remember, we could have fun once. I can still remember when I bought the Bently I walked into Sport A-Mart, asked to see it, liked it, showed my Qld driving license and walked out there and then with it in plain sight of everyone and no-one looked twice. Wow how things have changed since then.

So, the next question... I never put a scope on my LA way back then (open sights only). But what do you guys/girls do scope wise? Flat 6x scope, 4x or, nothing...?

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I leave my 9422 unscoped because its freaking ugly with a scope on! that and I dont really use it... the receiver on it is machined out of a solid piece of steel but its tiny! so there basically isnt a scope that looks good mounted on it

but if i were to put a scope on it i would put a leupold ultralight 2.5x20 - its basically the smallest lightest decent quality scope I can find. I would keep it mounted as low to the receiver as possible

leupold ultralight 2.5x20mm

heres what it looks like mounted on a 444 marlin for scale
                  leupold ultralight on .444 marlin

And now I've had to pop outside and, er, sight in the BL22. Thank the Lord for Long Zs and CBees

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you want a ruger 96 how about a PWS T3, sorta the same?

They are out there you just have to keep your eye out and let people know what you are after (wanted ad's on forum's/web/range, talk to people at the range, ring out of town gun shops etc.). It may take some time but it works.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The availability of these things seems to ebb & flow like the tide for some reason. When I was looking for a new rimfire lever about a year ago there were just none of any make available in any gunshop's racks in or around Sydney with long back-order delays (had my heart set on a Henry at the time), so I ended up deciding to go used; there were literally dozens & dozens of the things on usedguns.com of all the popular makes, models and different rimfire calibers so I could have my pick of the crop (kicking myself now that I didn't pick up one of the many Ruger 96's in .22WMR that were on offer at the time, as they seem to be getting as rare as hen's teeth these days).

I ended up with a lightly-used Miroku ML-22 (re-badged Browning BL-22), one of 5 on sale at the time, for 400 bucks and it's one of my favourite rifles; light, accurate (even with the very ordinary factory sights, though fortunately they are upgradable) and the short lever-throw makes follow-up shots lightning-fast. Weird thing is that a few months later shipments of new Brownings, Henrys & Marlins began appearing in the gunshops but then the supply of used ones seemed to dry up at the very same time, so who knows what weird forces are at play?

How about this bit of bling?

http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=24535

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Jagdtiger" post=17920
                  How about this bit of bling?

http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=24535
                  Holy cow!

A Winchester Cheyenne Commemorative 22. Made in 1977. A total of only 5,375 were assembled in Ontario. Serial number started with CHF1 and up. Gold plated everything, including the brass studs. [thanks Google]. Only $850. Hmmmm.

No plastic bits on Henry's for some time .

Comment

There is another Marlin, this the slightly rarer 39M with straight wrist and shorter barrel on the usedguns website right now. $600, a good price.

There was a Winchester 9422 with scope for $450 but it has sold already.

Comment

Working...
                  X