Trouble with CCI Quiets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with CCI Quiets!

I came home this afternoon and knocked two mynas in quick succession, then this ...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-10-19-3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	32864
    That's the nose of a CCI Quite lodged in the barrel, not far from them muzzle of a cz 452 .22 rimfire, obviously.... A few shots occurred before/since the mynas and then the stoppage!
    I can only think of sending a heap more down the barrel to condition it to quiets?
    I have several rounds iv tapped out of the barrel with the rod. 10-15 or so.

Any ideas?

I have shot a few boxes of quiets in my new varmint with nil issues, I would throw them all away.

The winnie z's shoot a lot better out of my rifle, try them if you want quiet.

Comment

By gee, the skin on that hand of yours looks worse than mine and I'm told I'm not an old bugger for 16 months yet to retirement age......

That bullet doesn't look real healthy....

Never played with them and I don't think I would like to. Standards will do me but the Myna's here did really like the 12g O/U Clay Gun and they are real fun in flight with the calls playing supplied from the "Old Site".... Oh what fun.

Your task, well ..... Think about it, please don't damage the bore.

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
        BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
        Editing a comment
        Iv shot 1000 rounds of CCI quites and never had an issue. If it wont tap out then the projectile may be over sized.

Don't use a cleaning rod, that's a good way to damage your barrel. Here's how to get it out. Grab another round. Grab a pair of pliers and remove the projectile, making sure not to spill the powder. Get a small amount of tissue and put it in the end of the cartridge case to stop the powder from falling out. Load it into the rifle, point it at a safe backstop you're ok shooting, and fire it. Bingo.
      The CZ's have a bore diameter that's very tight, sometimes as small as 0.212" and it has to squeeze the round to get it out.

Originally posted by chewtah" post=17359
      I came home this afternoon and knocked two mynas in quick succession, then this ...

That's the nose of a CCI Quite lodged in the barrel, not far from them muzzle of a cz 452 .22 rimfire, obviously.... A few shots occurred before/since the mynas and then the stoppage!
      I can only think of sending a heap more down the barrel to condition it to quiets?
      I have several rounds iv tapped out of the barrel with the rod. 10-15 or so.

Any ideas?
      Attached Files

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Cant say i have ever had a issue with the CCI quiet's. It's what i run in my .22lr 95% of the time ( walk about hunting for tiny critter's ) . With the odd 5% of fed bulk pack round's for just a bit of cheap fun.

CCI quiet Good for foot hunting rabbit's in the night

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Just out of interest.And as a question. Wouldnt doing what your saying cause overpressure issues? Couldnt that cause problems?Not being smart or trying to get a rise out of this. Im genuinely asking. I know its only a 22 but im curious.

Especially Brno Rifles have a tight Bore which helps their renown accuracy.

Doing what has been suggested isn't really a bad idea in my mind. You have a lot of extra area to cushion the pressure effect and it sounds a lot safer than trying to push the bullet out with a solid object.

I would once this is fixed take on board a learning curve that the CCI Quiets don't have enogh velocity to handle CZ "choked" bores and give upusing them. Other brands of rifles most likely will not be affected but probably aren't as accurate either.

Way back in the late 1960's I had what was called a "Bore Sighter" which you put in the Muzzle end to align a Scope. It's .22 Cal Mandrel fitted in any .22 Cal Bore except a Brno .22 and was the first hint that the bore was tight, choked or just less than a normal .22 bore size. Gave up using that piece of rubbish then and have never used one since, besides I was alway worried about damaging the Muzzle Crown. The Leupold Magnet version if you must is much safer.

I would give the pulling the bullet out and sealing the cartridge even with candle wax idea a go, I can't see it causing any drama.

Comment

Interesting - something to consider with low-velocity 22 rounds.

I put the best part of a box of CCI Quiets through my Sportco Martini Cadet yesterday evening, just plinking at a fruit tin for fun to try out the new aquistion in the last hour or so of light. Not an issue - all flew out the muzzle quietly and extracted cleanly. Seemed very accurate too, maybe more consistent than Winnie Zs though that may well be the rifle too.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by headwerkn" post=19852
          Interesting - something to consider with low-velocity 22 rounds.

I put the best part of a box of CCI Quiets through my Sportco Martini Cadet yesterday evening, just plinking at a fruit tin for fun to try out the new aquistion in the last hour or so of light. Not an issue - all flew out the muzzle quietly and extracted cleanly. Seemed very accurate too, maybe more consistent than Winnie Zs though that may well be the rifle too.

Cheers, Ben.
          The Cci quiets are much more accurate then Z's in my .22lr ( my LR is only short and cheap and nasty so I don't hold high hopes for groups at 50.

But she is very consistent with the quites ( its why I use them 95% of the time ) I use fed bulk 525 RnD for plinking and making noise for cheap.

Cci quiets are great IMHO

I've had problems with CCI Quiets too. The main problem was that they are hardly quiet. Should be called CCI barely quieter...

Comment

• nate
          nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Is there an issue or a difference with a different length of barrel?

If these are pushing to have minimum excess pressure upon exit, maybe they can run out of puff a little before on a longer barrel?
          16" vs 19" is about 19% more volume - maybe not insignificant
      Working...
      X