Pws rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pws rifles?

Ok, so seeing as the Lithgow rimfires might not be available by my 50th birthday, has anyone got personal experience with the pws 22lr rifles?
    I want something that will shoot like a target rifle but isn't a target rifle.
    They seem reasonably priced and the owners seem happy with them.
    Thoughts/experiences anyone?

I've heard mixed reviews. Some owners they work well and they have no issues, others they have issue after issue. Seems like a luck of the draw type thing with them.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

anschutz 1416DHB, shoots like a target rifle without being one.
      mine is a ripper, i considered the pws but opted for something with a long proven history, that i CAN guarantee i can pass down to my son, same price too

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a PWS - I basically never use it (always pick up my CZ 453 varmint instead) its by far the more accurate and more reliable rifle - its also much cheaper to feed since it prefers powerpoints rather than RWS subs. The CZ is also built a lot better

the PWS is fun though... I think the laminated stocks are better but my hogue stocked one suffers from some pretty serious bedding issues - its extremely hold sensitive and small changes in the action screw torque cause huge variations in accuracy. I might try bedding it one of these days. I still think it can be a good shooter with some work

if you want target rifle accuracy I'd look at a cooper or an anschutz... the CZ's and savages are accurate but wont hang with the others on average. The PWS is too unstable and finicky to be reliably accurate imo - you could get a good one but there are lots of average ones too

your better of getting a brno number 2 or cz 452

Comment

• nate
        nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Get a Izhmash Bi7-2-KO
        shoots like a laser & is a straight pull.

Build quality & engineering is VASTLY superior. Had mine for about 6 months - love it to death.
        Forget the PWS - there's been some interesting reviews about the product & other "associated" ownership stuff.
        have a read: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15500752#post15500752

You are the first person I have ever heard say an Anshultz was not an accurate rifle maybe with really poor ammo?. I suppose there must be some with so many made but a savage is way better ?
      Seems like a big statement , but I have been wrong before maybe your father in law got a dud. Every Anshultz I have ever seen shoots and shoots well they are not cheap but thats because they are normally pretty good. Not looking for a fight, just never heard of a bad one.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by The Jet" post=17293
        You are the first person I have ever heard say an Anshultz was not an accurate rifle maybe with really poor ammo?. I suppose there must be some with so many made but a savage is way better ?
        Seems like a big statement , but I have been wrong before maybe your father in law got a dud. Every Anshultz I have ever seen shoots and shoots well they are not cheap but thats because they are normally pretty good. Not looking for a fight, just never heard of a bad one.
        Nah, tried sk magazine, sk std plus, sk rifle match, all a bit meh...
        Tried rws 50 and even some lapua centre X...none of which performed that well.
        In the 64 mpr yes, they all did but the 1416DHB was pretty unimpressive.
        I actually saw pics on the old forum of broken toggles, I cant vouch for how it happened, maybe some pretty rough treatment but yea, I did see pictures.

I have a PWS, while it is a fun plinker, I would never consider it a serious hunting or target rifle. My toggle already has some play in it along with some feeding issues. I would definitely look at a CZ or Anschutz

Comment

I am also a PWS T3 owner. I was so happy with mine that I off-loaded my Ruger 77/22.

I feed it CCI Standard Velocity and achieve perfectly acceptable results. I have had no variation in zero on stock removal and replacement. The same with barrel removal and replacement.

It is not an Olympic shooter by any means but mine is an excellent 22 for general field and target use. It is better than the Ruger 77/22 and that was a good rifle.

Comment

I'm a recent owner of a T3. I've had it now for 3 or so weeks and have had it at the range twice. It is the version with the carbon fibre barrel and laminated Raptor stock.

To start with the trigger was absolutely woeful with an extreme amount of creep. When I picked up the gun the guys at the shop I asked for the original trigger return spring. I believe that this spring was removed so it would pass custom requirements when entering the country. As far as I know there are three different springs you can get for the trigger a Black a Red and a White spring. The Black is the heaviest and the White is the lightest. The one that I have now installed is the Red spring. After replacing this spring, adjusting the disconnect and adjusting the sear engagement the trigger is absolutely beautiful, light and has zero creep. The trigger group is purposely made for these adjustments and all were very simple to do by turning the allen key adjustments. They even have an inspection port on the side of the trigger housing so you can visually see the sear engagement as you adjust it.

The rest of the gun is good quality and it is very light. I find the Raptor stock to be very ergonomic but it is a cheap stock with no bedding etc. The quality of the stock is not much different in terms of quality to what you find on most other factory produced guns really .

So far I have tried the gun with 12 different types of ammo all with very different results. I expect .22's to be a little finiky with there choice of ammo but the PWS is extreme and this is terribly frustrating for me. So far I have shot 50yd groups ranging from 2.44" with Federal Premium HV Match to 0.158" with Lapua X-Act. The groups I shot with CCI Standard Velocity seemed to shoot around 0.3", CCI Green Tag the best group was 0.268" (the others were mostly around this size), and Laupa Midas + ranged from 0.168" to 0.35". There were a couple of others that produced groups of about 0.5" to 0.75" and the rest were all over 1". The only conclusion I am thinking is that the faster ammo is less accurate out of this gun. I haven't tried it with any subsonics yet but I have another 16 types of ammo (including subsonics) hanging around that i will try.

At the end of the day if you are wanting exceptional accuracy from a gun you have to pay the exceptional price. CZ's and the Marlin XT's are a much and muchness accuracy wise and are not that much better than the Savage (I have a Savage in .17 and its quite ok but not exceptional). CZ have allot of potential but need money spent on them including bedding, new trigger etc if you really want them to perform. If you want good accuracy a 54 action Annie or a Cooper is your bet.

Comment

• nate
            nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by IMD4VE" post=18706
            I'm a recent owner of a T3. I've had it now for 3 or so weeks and have had it at the range twice. It is the version with the carbon fibre barrel and laminated Raptor stock.
            The rest of the gun is good quality and it is very light. I find the Raptor stock to be very ergonomic but it is a cheap stock with no bedding etc. The quality of the stock is not much different in terms of quality to what you find on most other factory produced guns really .

So far I have tried the gun with 12 different types of ammo all with very different results. I expect .22's to be a little finiky with there choice of ammo but the PWS is extreme and this is terribly frustrating for me. So far I have shot 50yd groups ranging from 2.44" with Federal Premium HV Match to 0.158" with Lapua X-Act. The groups I shot with CCI Standard Velocity seemed to shoot around 0.3", CCI Green Tag the best group was 0.268" (the others were mostly around this size), and Laupa Midas + ranged from 0.168" to 0.35". There were a couple of others that produced groups of about 0.5" to 0.75" and the rest were all over 1".

I'm astounded by those results - guys are getting consistently solid results out of Savage's much better than that. (for a lot less munay!)

The izhmash stock is crappy looking, but does its thing & is fully bedded.
            With a 22 i've been using some epoxy putty to bed my stocks - its quick & easy & works well. Just remove some extra material & putty it up.

I think this also really highlights that the one BIG factor is ammo choice when picking a rifle - a good rifle will eat pretty much anything.
            If you get a picky rifle - you're hurting every trip to the range (if thats an important factor & you go through ammo).

go with an annie 1416d you wont be sorry for the $
          Attached Files

Comment

Took my brand new T3 out for it's first shot yesterday, with fellow forum member Johnson.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131004_204441_LLS_2013-10-23.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	34329

Fed it a few different types of ammo. Not one misfire or misfeed to report either.

Name:	IMG_20131015_112001.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	34330

And Johnson had a nice target prepared.

Name:	IMG_20131021_180056.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	34331

The first half dozen or so groups were pretty wild, but it seemed to settle down and the groups tightened quite a bit. It clearly likes Winchester ammo the best, we were able to get consistently good groups with the 40 and 42 grain Powerpoints, with the 40 grain being maybe a poofteenth more accurate. The Winchester subs were the best grouping of all the subs we tried too.

The conditions were against us, with intermittent rain and blustery wind. And my skill level is questionable at best. Taking those factors into account I'm more than happy with the groups I got. I definitely need more practice than the rifle needs work.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Notch" post=19189
              Took my brand new T3 out for it's first shot yesterday, with fellow forum member Johnson.

There are no bullet holes in that target : :P

JH
              Attached Files

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Not wanting to assume but...was this at 50 meters?
              Originally posted by Notch" post=19189

Fed it a few different types of ammo. Not one misfire or misfeed to report either.

And Johnson had a nice target prepared.

The first half dozen or so groups were pretty wild, but it seemed to settle down and the groups tightened quite a bit. It clearly likes Winchester ammo the best, we were able to get consistently good groups with the 40 and 42 grain Powerpoints, with the 40 grain being maybe a poofteenth more accurate. The Winchester subs were the best grouping of all the subs we tried too.

The conditions were against us, with intermittent rain and blustery wind. And my skill level is questionable at best. Taking those factors into account I'm more than happy with the groups I got. I definitely need more practice than the rifle needs work.
              Attached Files

Well this thread made me sad

The PWS has so much sex appeal and I have been dreaming of one in my safe since they were first advertised.
            Based on the feed back I think the dream is over.

JH

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it's a bit of a sad tale

I imagine there's a few Australian shooters that are thinking along the same lines as you John23.

i love my pws t3, i feed it either cci standards or winchester bushmens? Never had a problem with it, and its so light and small.

Comment

• nate
              nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Found it!

A bit off topic but what are owners using to clean the PWS? My standard cleaning rod and jag for my 22 centrefire doesn't fit. Boresnake perhaps?

Comment

• Stan 66
              Move commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Adro" post=25096
              A bit off topic but what are owners using to clean the PWS? My standard cleaning rod and jag for my 22 centrefire doesn't fit. Boresnake perhaps?
              Very little cleaning required at all. Maybe only when accuracy declines. Mine shoots better groups 500 rounds +.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I use an Otis system and normal solvent, the small chamber brushes get in there but the standard versions are a little harder and need to be threaded with the brush held in the action...Kind of hard but the small ones as stated work fine.

I don't clean unless using different rounds (copper washed as opposed to waxed lead). Surprisingly the Win Power Points shoot a ragged hole at 50m after a good clean, the waxed ones like to be seasoned with around 10 - 40 rounds of any brand shooting reasonably well.

Once I stick with one brand though cleaning will not be done unless accuracy wains. I have been able to get the 40 grain PP to hit ballons at 280m consistently, really fun actually, the delay in shooting to seeing your shot land is quite long but the most fun I have had shooting in a long time.

hmmm this far into their life & still it seems there's not a lot of joy or consistency... or results/known path for success with these.

Interesting to pit this thread against the Lithgow crossover thread...
            These were all hype before release, and results dont appear to be that friendly.
            The Lithgow is all quiet, its getting hammered a little... and results TBA.

Interesting to see what the end result will be in 6-12months.
            Could a fancy action make an inaccurate rifle sell-able?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              i think the rifle is accurate (the barrels are made by green mountain - which while not top line, are decent and should be capable of 1moa) for me, the downfall is the combination of the stock and less than rigid carbon fibre barrel.

if you floated the barrel and bedded the action in a rigid stock that would solve nearly all the accuracy issues imo.

I had one in the hogue rubber stock (cant be seen with a rifle with the other type of stock :S ) and the accuracy was poor as it couldnt be tightened down properly, and it wasnt floated. once I changed the stock to a hard nylon hogue, and floated it, it cut the groups in half. I'm sure with proper bedding it would be even better.

at the moment it shoots about 1.5moa with cci subs and a little less than 1moa with sk subs.

its a lot of tinkering just to match a CZ out of the box though

someone said Izmash picture?

sv99 build link

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              These Russians look interesting! Just been checking out their website, their grenade launchers look the shiz too

Anyone know if the bi7-2 are stocked anywhere in Melbourne!

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/bi7-2.shtml
          Working...
          X