Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZ 453 bolt fouling on scope

Hi All,

My license finally came through so this afternoon I tried to fit my Zeiss HD5 3-15 x 42 to my CZ453 using Leupold Rimfire 11mm High rings (Part number 54234)

Unfortunately the magnification ring JUST touches the bolt, either side of the rubber adjusting ring clears. The rest of the clearance looks good so I don't really want to lift the scope much more, the other option I was thinking is to machine a small area of the top of the bolt stem and re-blue however this would be a last option.

Any suggestions on a different ring configuration which would lift the scope slightly?

On a different note I can't wait to shoot it now!!!

Cheers

You have 2 x options:
    Higher rings, or smaller scope.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for a quick reply, the ring option is what I am after.

What brand/model is slightly taller than the above mentioned Loopy rings?

Does the Ring Base sit on the top of the Action Dovetail flush...ie with no gap underneath.

If it does or not you could try putting a metal shim under each ring between it's base and the action top and see if lifting the ring mounts equally will give you the slight clearance you want. Make sure what you use is perfectly flat. The dovetail clamps should pull it down tight and even.

CZ 527's have this problem if you aren't careful with scope and ring choice. There are even specially modified bolt handles available but some have just ground a relief to fit their scope setup. Not sure about the CZ 453 but most CZ's I have seen are not blued but use some sort of baked on finish. If you do grind then be sure to protect the metal finish as soon as it's done to prevent any corrosion forming.

Other than that higher rings but I can't think of any at present. The one's you are using are 0.98" high, the 3/8 dovetail version from Leupold are 1.00" so are 0.02" higher and may be your solution....perhaps. 11mm & 3/8" will both fit but your dovetail is actually the metric measurement which is taken from a different spot.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info, I think the bases are flush I'll have a look.

As you say the CZ's are renowned for doing this so I was half expecting it however with the high rings I thought I would get away with it. Interesting point with 3/8 version I'll have a look at those ones.

Cutting of the relief might be the solution, a mate has had this done on a 452 and it came up pretty neat. I'll ask him what he did to the metal, I am pretty sure they just blued the area which was exposed. You can only really see it if you look closely.

G'day I have sportsmatch TO3C rings on my 452 with a leupold 6-18x40 plenty of clearance here is a photo of the rifle with a 3-9x33 on it
    I took this scope off and put the 6-18x40 on and still have good clearance with the bolt
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1166_2013-10-16.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	31668
    this is the web site http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by flyer" post=16026
      G'day I have sportsmatch TO3C rings on my 452 with a leupold 6-18x40 plenty of clearance here is a photo of the rifle with a 3-9x33 on it
      I took this scope off and put the 6-18x40 on and still have good clearance with the bolt

this is the web site http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/
      Thanks flyer, how much clearance do you have between the top side of the bolt when in the back stroke? I have heaps of clearance under the scope just the actual action of the bolt is touching for only a small part of the cycle.
      Attached Files

Name:	004.JPG
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	31681

Name:	003.JPG
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	31682
    G'day there is 6 to 7mm clearance see pics sorry about the photos just had a look I didn't open the bolt just measured it it is 6 to 8 mm clearance with the bolt all the way open

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, they look like could be the solution.

I can space the tube of the scope up with 4 little pieces of paper to make it clear which would be about the thickness sticky tape. i.e. between the scope tube and bottom ring. In terms of the ring bases they are basically flush on either side because they are a curved shape. I don't think there would be enough meat on the parts that grip to space the ring bases themselves higher.

Will using sticky tape or something similar to lift the tube affect accuracy?

You will have to ask some one with a bit more knowledge than me about that but I can't see it effecting the scope

Comment

My apology on the Sportsmatch rings they are LTO31 rings
      got them from Michael Tawn Airgun Supplies

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like I am trying to lift the wrong part putting paper under the tube, I'll give the ali can idea a go.

Usual story license approved today..... I won't have time to play with it for a week or so!!

Thanks for the kind words on the scope, that has always been my motto as well. I'll take some photo's when it is all setup.

Not sure you get what I'm talking about so I put up a photo, this will make "flyer" cringe as it's my CZ527 .22 Hornet , Warne Mounts and Bushnell Elite 6200 2.5-16x50mm but the point here is see the little gap under the Warne Mounts and above the CZ Action. You can pack this very slightly with shims as I mentioned but not much, it may just be enough to solve your problem.

What it will do is just lift the whole Scope & Mounts off the Action slightly.

Hope it helps you....

Comment

Please don't post pics like that I will have to go and have another can and cry

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by flyer" post=16065
          Please don't post pics like that I will have to go and have another can and cry
          And smoke the rest of that packet of Fags on your table.......

While your there Mega how do I put the icon up for pm

John

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by flyer" post=16071
          While your there Mega how do I put the icon up for pm

John
          If your looking for your own....you can't as best I know. Why would you want to PM yourself.

You should see everbody else's ......????

Gee, don't give me a hard time ..... I've had a shit of a day and I forgot to buy Tobacco, enough for two left and only three beers.... the shop is 60km away.......

Geez mate I can give you a can and a smoke if you like the fags are on the outside table and cans in the fridge in the shed

Comment

• Mat1979
          Mat1979 commented
          Editing a comment
          You should have brought a T-Bolt!!!! Lol.

sent u a pm.
        The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Comment

I had the same problem with my Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 on my Steyr Scout. The mag ring would *just* touch the bolt. My solution was to bring the scope forward just a tad and it was enough to give a very precise clearance (something like 1mm). As it turned out, the bolt guide when pulling back went on a slight angle,

The HD5 has a very forgiving eye relief so don't be shy to try and move it forwards or backwards within reason. It's a 22lr, so there's no recoil so you don't have to worry about it hitting you in the eye socket

I wouldn't go higher rings, you'll lose your cheek weld and take away from the wonderful combination you have there.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mega, I think I know what you mean.

Hi Bonsia, the CZ is in 17 hmr which is why I went for a good quality scope. I have played around with eye relief however the throw of the bolt is to big to move out the scope out of this area.

Cheers

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            [quote="Bonsai" post=16196
            I wouldn't go higher rings, you'll lose your cheek weld and take away from the wonderful combination you have there.[/quote]

Cheek weld is not all that people think it is and in most cases is a problem more than a comfort.

Go and use a rifle with a scope 1" higher than you have ever used for a while and you will wonder what all the fuss was about, plus you will be a more accurate shooter.

If moving the scope forward or rearwards solves the scope problem then think about changing the length of pull and have the rifle sit at a different length. Your natural finger position is also very easy to change in your own mind and become a more comfortable shooting position.

The more you slouch over a stock probably the worse shot you will be so leaning over the butt is not ideal. Target shooters try and keep their head upright for a reason, they also don't strangle a rifle nor have any deal of cheek weld. You have a pulse in your face, hands, fingers so the more you strangle your firearms the more effect that has on your own accuracy. Whilst hunting you need to learn to have the ideal grip and position and be comfortable.

If you were playing with a 50BMG then the story changes. The discussion is not about tactical or military so I'll leave it at that.
        Working...
        X