I can't take it anymore, it's just no fun.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't take it anymore, it's just no fun.....

Good day all, I don't know if you have this problem or not, but it really takes the fun out of shooting.

Went to my "down the gully" range on Saturday morning. Took my savage mk2 classic and some different 22lr ammo i hadn't tried before. I bought a bucket of Remington Golden Bullets the other day, I knew they were crap, but I thought that for 80 bucks I got 1400 rounds, couldn't resist.
    So anyway, I load up the old girl. I had set up dog food tins at a hundred meters, it was a calm morning for a change so I thought I'd go long.
    First shot, down came the tin, next shot down came the tin. Then I set up some can lids, and didn't miss a one. And then when I switched to different ammo, and I tried 7 different kinds, the tins and lids kept falling. She wears a leuopold vx1 3-9x40.

I'm not skiting, not by a long shot, but It's pretty boring when your rifle is so predictable!
    Part of me thinks that's why we need to get new rifles, so we can work out how they shoot!! haha

Anyway, what a great rifle. Savage got this one right. Wonder why they stopped making them. I think I know. Margin wasn't good enough.
    SO then, I take out my 320 and she's shooting groups as big as my ute!! What the hey! I'm adjusting the scope and nothing helps! I'm thinking Redfields are supposed to be good, at least they'll take it back without dramas, when I notice that the front mount has come off the rifle and the whole scope has actually slid down the receiver! I'm so happy I have such a good gunsmith nearby!! NOT! I'm just going to have to learn to do it myself.

By the way, I'm looking at the Remington 581 on used guns. Any thoughts or opinions. I don't need another rimfire, I just want one! haha

cheers and have a fantabulous day!

Plinking cans in the old gully ay....

You should get yourself a pump or lever action rimfire, lots of fun. Unless you can get a .22 semi cause they are even MORE fun.

Comment

I think you need special dispensation for a semi in nsw, if I were to get a pump or a lever, what do you reckon would be a good robust one, as everyone knows I'm a bit rough on the old girls!!!! haha

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by koolman" post=14480
        I think you need special dispensation for a semi in nsw, if I were to get a pump or a lever, what do you reckon would be a good robust one, as everyone knows I'm a bit rough on the old girls!!!! haha
        The Miruko and Browning lever .22's have been around for a while and are popular. Very reliable, I had a Miruko and you had to treat it rough or it wouldn't cycle rounds properly. Don't have much experience with pumps. I used to have an old Rossi .22mag pump, its was a good rifle as well.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by koolman" post=14480
        Be Vewy Careful of the Marlin 39A.

take it out to 200 and see if you're a bit more interested in the challenge. Once you mastered 200 go to 300m. It's awesome to try and reach the limits of your shooting and your equipment.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        agree, how big is a dog food tin? were you shooting off a bipod or rest?

there are ways of making it more interesting, but really you want to find something that develops your skills, try shooting standing or sitting, try shooting at unknown distances etc

here's a 100m small bore silhouette target, shot standing unsupported (no sling) it can be a challenge thats for sure

steve

these targets are scaled for 100feet,
        http://www.riflesilhouette.com/PDF/Scalable-Printable-Targets.pdf

Seems like you have mastered the good old .22LR so maby its time to lift it up a calibre? Stick with rimfire and go 17HRM ( will get you out alot further to challenge yourself) or go to centerfire (223 or something) and really start pushing the distance your shooting at.

Comment

Know what you mean.
        Here a couple of groups, one at 50yds for 5 rounds and one at 100 yds for 10 rounds, with my CZ452 Varmint, .22lr, with Winchester Power Points 40 grn.
        Rifle has a Leupold 3-9x33 Rimfire CDS scope.
        I ordered an elevation turret from Leupold, calibrated to 200 yds, and can't wait to get it. Should have more fun, further out.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Comment

• Varminator
          Varminator commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by retired" post=15675
          Know what you mean.
          Here a couple of groups, one at 50yds for 5 rounds and one at 100 yds for 10 rounds, with my CZ452 Varmint, .22lr, with Winchester Power Points 40 grn.
          Rifle has a Leupold 3-9x33 Rimfire CDS scope.
          I ordered an elevation turret from Leupold, calibrated to 200 yds, and can't wait to get it. Should have more fun, further out.

Very nice shooting there Retired - can't get much better than that I don't reckon, well done mate.

Golf balls can be lots of fun to shoot at different ranges, also try putting some empty 22 cases up around the place and shoot at those, they are a cheap great way to really test your skills, eggs can be fun too set at all sorts of distances, water balloons too are fun on string at all sorts of distances (fill with flour for more spectacular fun) or water, potatoes are also fun to shoot at, clay targets and all the smaller fragments can be fun to shoot at too (just wedge the broken bits into tree branches at different ranges and test yourself that way too.
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

when you think you got the 22 mastered at long range, do what I did.
          at the end of 2011 there was a 300m egg shoot at our local range.
          all I had was my 22 on that day up there.
          so I thought "why not".
          most other guys had their center fire bench guns, 6.5x47, ppc's etc.
          it was a little bit windy.
          guess what?..................I got equal third place with another guy!!!
          you should have seen their faces when I hit an egg. :lol:
          it took a couple of go's but I did it.
          this was with 42gr win power-points.
          I didn't adjust my scope, but I did have a couple of shots to work out trajectory and hold over. (weaps needed, was on the bottom of the crosshair!)
          probably the most rewarding time with a 22.
          try something silly like that. its fun.

Comment

Working...
          X