Anschutz 54 ejection issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anschutz 54 ejection issue

I was shooting IRB on Saturday and dead set every third case ejected landed back in the chamber, very frustrating and way too distracting in an IRB comp.
    Anyway I figure it is something to do with the blade at the bottom of the chamber probably worn or needs a bit of work. Has anyone experienced this and can head me in the right direction before I start exploring possibilities?? The rifle in question was built in 1962 model 1411 single shot super match.

Normally on these rifles, ejection issues can be traced back to poor extractor tension. The extractor is the claw that pulls the cartridge case out of the chamber. I'd start with a thorough bolt cleaning first, especially in and around the extractor, extractor plunger and spring. The extractor should also be checked to make sure it's not chipped or broken.

Originally posted by danandria" post=12334
    I was shooting IRB on Saturday and dead set every third case ejected landed back in the chamber, very frustrating and way too distracting in an IRB comp.
    Anyway I figure it is something to do with the blade at the bottom of the chamber probably worn or needs a bit of work. Has anyone experienced this and can head me in the right direction before I start exploring possibilities?? The rifle in question was built in 1962 model 1411 single shot super match.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Tornado-Technologies" post=12432
      Normally on these rifles, ejection issues can be traced back to poor extractor tension. The extractor is the claw that pulls the cartridge case out of the chamber. I'd start with a thorough bolt cleaning first, especially in and around the extractor, extractor plunger and spring. The extractor should also be checked to make sure it's not chipped or broken.

Originally posted by danandria" post=12334
      agree, this is a common problem on 64 actions but this is the first i've heard of it on a 54. the issues on the 64 actions are often fixed by a tiny mod to the extractor but i suspect if youre has just started doing it it's more likely a build up of dirt, grease or grit

steve

my 64 action wont eject right if i pussy foot around with it.

so i gave up treating it like a faberge egg and give it heaps

Comment

Hi Dan
      That link that Allan was speaking about is http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471177 for the ejector problems.
      I would give it real good cleaning first if not give it a go you can always buy replacement parts if you really have to later.
      kind regards Ben

Comment

• allan
        allan commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by The Jet" post=12754
        Hi Dan
        That link that Allan was speaking about is http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471177 for the ejector problems.
        I would give it real good cleaning first if not give it a go you can always buy replacement parts if you really have to later.
        kind regards Ben
        Hi Ben - Dan's 1411 & the spring clamp sporters like your 1712 use a different system - Whatever, one day Anschutz may just get the message that there is an issue here. My oldest is nearly 50, uses another different system based on a single extractor - Can't ever remember that rifle failing to eject anything! I have had to modify EVERY Anschutz I have bought since 2000.

Dan are you having any joy with the ejection issues ?

Comment

Hi Gang, nope no Joy. I compared the post to another 54 I have and I think its worn. I removed the ramp and cleaned it all thoroughly as there was a small build up of oil and crap underneath there but it hasn't improved the ejection issue. I am thinking a well placed punch mark could bump the top of the post up enough to solve the issue, there is very little in it. See below if I punch on the dot it may spread enough to get the extra couple of thou, what do you reckon?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie54ejectorpostrampretainer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	36467

Comment

Danny - A careful whack in that spot may just do the trick.
          That part is a known wear point and I think that Potters or Target Rifle South Australia may have a replacement in stock - If they haven't, I'm fairly confident they could order you one. Both have chased down a few "exotic" Anschutz parts for me before

Comment

• danandria
            danandria commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Allan, TRSA had a post in stock its on its way. I'll let you know 1) if it fits ;0) and 2) if it works!

Thanks Allan, Called potters and no go, have left a message at TRSA. I will give the 'adjustment' a go on the weekend time permitting and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
          X