Looking at buying a CZ 455

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at buying a CZ 455

Hi guys I am after some reviews on the 455.

In particular the inter changeable barrels.

I am worried that it may get flogged out over time and become inaccurate.

I would like to hand this rifle down to my (Future) son and to his and so and so forth,

they haven't been around long enough to get a definitive answer to that question
    but i guess there will be 100s of either happy or unhappy owners in about 10 years

Comment

They would only get flogged out due to mis-handling or not taking due care whilst storing or fitting.
      The fit is very very precise
      The machining tolerances are impressive.
      Point of Impact is only different in the vertical axis. (e.g. at 100m .22LR at Zero (0), .22WMR is +3, and .17HMR is +3.5) EXAMPLE ONLY
      To get the best benefit, you need a torque wrench (FAT wrench is pretty good) to get consistent results.
      Variable power scope is a good idea, so is having an AO (Adjustable Objective) that goes UNDER 100yds (so you can get it dialed in at 50yds)

The Varmint size barrels are heavy, so is the Thumbhole Stock. If using at the Range on a bench etc, all is fine. Taking for a 5km hike, you will notice it!
      Apparently there is a new version, has a Fluted Varmint Barrel, and an improved trigger. Might be worth looking at.
      Plenty of tips and tricks to do to the trigger, spring replacements, custom bolt handles, 10 shot poly magazines (from ACME firearms in Vic, $70 posted)

Comment

What do you think will wear out?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I can't comment as I haven't actually handled one yet, but I cant help imaging the screwing and unscrewing and barrel change overs would take its toll over time.

i have one that i intend to hand on to my eldest son now 8, and will buy another two, one for me and one for my youngest now 5....i have the thumbhole, it is great, accurate, i would just get .22lr...i was going to get another barrel...but love it so much as it is...and go a 4-12 rather than the 3-9 i put on it, a leupold vx 1....it is probably my favorite rifle and by no means my most expensive rig...looks great feels great..shoots magnificently...i might get one other in 17 hmr ..will dig up a pic of the best group 50 meters one ragged hole RWS club, eats winnie power points all day....do it

Comment

• BJ343
          BJ343 commented
          Editing a comment
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20130707-00200.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	27953

• BJ343
          BJ343 commented
          Editing a comment

Name:	20130707-00200_2013-10-09.jpg
Views:	13
ID:	27955

• BJ343
          BJ343 commented
          Editing a comment

Name:	20130707-00200_2013-10-09-2.jpg
Views:	17
ID:	27957

The only advantage to interchangeable barrels IMO is that when the original is stuffed you can replace it your self. Not that I ever shot out a 22 barrel.
        I can just imagine walking through the paddock chasing bunnies, and seeing nothing but foxes 200m away, so bolt back to the car and change barrels!?

Comment

The first 22 I purchased since coming back to shooting was a CZ 455 thumb hole it was a really nice rifle that had a nice balance to it. It was fairly accurate at 50 m as previously shown . It loved Federal Ammo Gold metal or Blue box . Would not shoot CCI Std to my disappointment after purchasing a brick. I never changed the barrel out because I only ever used it at the range and 22lr is by far the most economical way of killing paper.
          kind regards Ben

Comment

• safeshot
            safeshot commented
            Editing a comment
            Cz... cant go wrong. Buy with confidence.

i have cz 455 in thumb hole stock i had to get some packers to extend the butt for me as it was to short as i had to keep moving my head back all the time to shoot but very accurate rifle to use very happy with the range i shoot rabbits and hare's out too

Comment

I went out to my local GS and checked them out.

When looking at the floating barrel it just didn't seem right it was hard up on one side of the timber with a big gap down the other.

You could easily wiggle around the barrel with your thumb when holding it.

Now I am a bit of a novice when it comes to floating barrel design so this maybe perfectly normal but just didn't feel right to me.

Overall the 455 American felt great and very natural to shoulder. It seemed to really fit well for me and it like the way the action cycled.

Since I don't think CZ are going to stop making the 455 anytime soon I might just wait and see how they go with time/ reliability/ feedback.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              If its anything like a 452, there is a dovetailed thing in the action for the rear most action screw that allows the rear of the action to go left or right, probably a minor adjustment. Use about 15-20inch ponds approx in the action screws.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Bunyip" post=13861
              I went out to my local GS and checked them out.

When looking at the floating barrel it just didn't seem right it was hard up on one side of the timber with a big gap down the other.

You could easily wiggle around the barrel with your thumb when holding it.

Now I am a bit of a novice when it comes to floating barrel design so this maybe perfectly normal but just didn't feel right to me.

Overall the 455 American felt great and very natural to shoulder. It seemed to really fit well for me and it like the way the action cycled.

Since I don't think CZ are going to stop making the 455 anytime soon I might just wait and see how they go with time/ reliability/ feedback.
              I'd say the example you were looking at probably needed to be cleaned up where the action beds to the stock. It's not uncommon for new rifles to need some attention to the action bedding area as stocks and actions are mass manufactured to be within tolerances but not made exactly to match one another.

If you have a good gun shop you should be able to pick from a few to get the best example.

Yeah I've heard a few shooters say very similar things about the CZ455's.

It seems to be that when some of them come out of the factory, the screw that hold the barrel in the action aren't properly tensioned. In fact some of them aren't even finger tight, and as a result they shoot like crap. But when these rifles are dismantled and have the screws tightened to the correct tension they shoot well.

EDIT: Ehh. This post was supposed to be a reply to Bunyip's post on the previous page. I'm still trying to get used to the new forums format.

Comment

Working...
            X