What's your thoughts on CCI Velocitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your thoughts on CCI Velocitors

Has anyone on here had any experience using CCI Velocitors on the larger small game animals?(Foxes and the like) According to "The Gospel According to Uncle Nick" all things being equal, 100 fpe at impact is needed for consistent one shot kills on fox sized animals and on this criteria a lot .22 LR ammo runs out of steam at the 50-60 yard mark whereas the Velocitor has turns up 100 ft-lbs at the hundred yard mark. So what's your experience?

have used them and my rifle (cz455) hated them

Comment

I've never had much luck with CCI Velocitors in my CZ 452.

Thanks...

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        If you can get them to shoot I guess they would be a decent hunting round, unfortunately all 3 of my .22's would send flyers with too much regularity for a hunting round.

• VB1971
        VB1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto on my CZ 452

I have never had any luck with hyper velocity 22lr ammo, in all rifles I have tried I get terrible accuracy. I always end up going back to win power points.

Comment

• Druid 66
        Druid66 commented
        Editing a comment
        My Savage Mk2 likes them

Not a great deal, none of my rifles would do any better than about 1 1/2" for 5 shots at 50 yards.
      The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Comment

I have a CZ 452 and the only thing it likes is
        Winchester Power Point 42 Max they will blow away anything you want
        I find the CCI ammo no go with my rifle but then again they may be OK in your rifle
        the only CCI ammo I found which just scraped the mark was the CCI target round

John

Comment

My brno mod2 loves them. Shoots 5 shots touching each other at 50m. They hit harder than I expected too.
          My only problem with them is the price.

Cheers

Comment

my brno-2 loves them.
            shoots 5 into 0.5 at 50m
            more than accurate enough. I've used them in rimfire benchrest matches, as they punch through the breezes better.
            maybe i'm just lucky though with that.
            yes they do pack a bit more oomph than other 22 hunting ammo.
            would i shoot a fox in between the eyes at 50m if i saw one there? yep.
            would i expect a 22 to drop foxes reliably on the spot? nup!

Comment

I use them in my savage and I find they are the most accurate in my rifle and the extra punch they pack is a bonus. I have taken 3 foxes in total. All were chest shots using the velocitors. Two around the 40-50m mark and a vixen around 70-80m with no exit wounds on any. A post hunt autopsy shows the heart and lungs were destroyed on all 3 and I can understand why they all rolled on the spot. I wont hesitate to use them again. They are quite explosive of bunnies so I suggest going for a headshot if you plan on it.

Comment

• Emptee
                Emptee commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried them a long time ago and they weren't sufficiently accurate in my Mod 2 so I just stick with Powerpoints 40 or 42g. Putting the bullet in the right place I just don't see much need for them myself.

I have used them to take goats (neck shots) out to 50 mtrs and they are emphatic however as was mentioned earlier in this thread shot placement is the critical element, out of all my 22's only one likes them.

Comment

No Experience with Velocitors on game but they group pretty good in my mkII.
                Not the best but they come out much better than Stingers for me. i can get a 20c piece comfortably @50mts.
                As close as you can get to WMR using 22lr, it's a good wallop!

PS: If you're ever worried about the price of your 22 ammo you're certainly in the wrong caper...

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dokey, never said I was worried about the price. Just feel they are a waste when I can shoot my 22 hornet for the same price and receive much better performance.

Cheers

• Paul8x57
                  Paul8x57 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  [quote="dokey" post=11306]No Experience with Velocitors on game but they group pretty good in my mkII.
                  Not the best but they come out much better than Stingers for me. i can get a 20c piece comfortably @50mts.
                  As close as you can get to WMR using 22lr, it's a good wallop!

For the record I had a WMR until the middle of last year when it fell victim to an unforseen financial contingency. But it wasn't such a loss.
                  When I got it I needed the extra reach it had over the .22lr. But that was then, this is now. Since the advent of R-Licenses almost all my hunting is now in State Forests and I really don't need the WMR's across the paddock reach

• Paul8x57
                  Paul8x57 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by dokey" post=11306
                  No Experience with Velocitors on game but they group pretty good in my mkII.
                  As close as you can get to WMR using 22lr, it's a good wallop!.
                  For the record I had a WMR until the middle of last year when it fell victim to an unforseen financial contingency. But it wasn't such a loss.
                  When I got it I needed the extra reach it had over the .22lr. But that was then, this is now. Since the advent of R-Licenses almost all my hunting is now in State Forests and I really don't need the WMR's across the paddock reach

they shoot amazingly from my anschutz.
                they put rabbits away real good, ive shot 1 fox in the chest at 50m that didnt complain...and this past weekend i shot a young goat(about the size of a medium dog) in the back of the head at about 25m and it didnt move an inch, just keeled over on the spot.
                this is a 5 shot group at 50m from my annie

Comment

• Emptee
                  Emptee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tips me lid to ya Bottle......that's the best grouping I've seen with Velocitors.

Originally posted by Paul8x57" post=10236
                According to "The Gospel According to Uncle Nick" all things being equal, 100 fpe at impact is needed for consistent one shot kills on fox sized animals ?
                load of BS i'll take accuracy over energy any day

Comment

Hi there i was at little river range today sighting in and testing out my new cz 452 standard.. I had cci velocitors, stingers winchester power points and rws high velocity.. i found the power points did the tightest groups. i didn't have enough of the rws to give them a fair run.. but found the cci ammo didnt load well and wasnt the best shooting as far as groups go.. was a really windy day which made it very challenging to dial in the scope.. Here are a couple of targets at 50 meters. i did shoot 100 and 200 yards. at 200 was grouping shots about hand size.. would love to try again on a calm day.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• VB1971
                    VB1971 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Menace, My Cz 452 loves RWS High Velocity HPs. I am no great shot but this ammo made me look very good at Springvale one evening. Still try them in the field.
                    I also tried Winchester Laser (?) High Velocity HP which als preformed very well at 50m

Cheers
                    VB1971
                Working...
                X