action screw torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• action screw torque

i recently fitted an xlr chassis to my tikka t3, it was a 0.5 moa gun at 100m and today was the first time out with the XLR stock and she was shooting 1.25 moa at 100m, i assumed things would be better being fully floated now and bolted onto a solid block of aluminium.

i guessed the action screw torque would be about 75in/lb and have since learned that 45-50in/lb is more like it.....
    is it safe to say that was the cause of the average groups and will everything be ok after i back them off and re tension to 45in/lb?

Well you will need to go shoot it and see won't you?

If you're looking for peace of mind then tell yourself whatever you want to hear, cause the truth is it could be any number of factors, yes including the incorrect torque on the action.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Death " post=7512
      Well you will need to go shoot it and see won't you?

If you're looking for peace of mind then tell yourself whatever you want to hear, cause the truth is it could be any number of factors, yes including the incorrect torque on the action.
      thats a great idea, i will try shooting it again.

Was this 0.5 minute load one you worked up yourself? If so, you are going to have revise your load development over again for that rifle. Reason being, the rifle has gone from being in a flexible stock to a more rigid stock with an aluminium bedding block, as you mentioned. The harmonics of the rifle will have changed dramatically, regardless of action torque settings. However, fiddling with the torque on the screws might get it a bit closer to where it was.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Verminator" post=7519
      Was this 0.5 minute load one you worked up yourself? If so, you are going to have revise your load development over again for that rifle. Reason being, the rifle has gone from being in a flexible stock to a more rigid stock with an aluminium bedding block, as you mentioned. The harmonics of the rifle will have changed dramatically, regardless of action torque settings. However, fiddling with the torque on the screws might get it a bit closer to where it was.
      it was with factory federal ballistic tip...it used to really love them, it well under moa at almost any disatnce.
      i hope correct action screw torque gets it back to where it was because i have about 600 of those rounds in the safe.

and if not, its as good a reason as any to start handloading
Working...
X