mimicking 100 yard zero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mimicking 100 yard zero?

if I could only get to a 50m range but want my rifle dead on at 100yards, is there a simple mathematical equation?

eg. X amount of distance high at 50 will be zero at 100?
    or does heaps of ballistic data + inches in mm, then also equation to covert metres to yards....if so ill just zero on target nailed to a tree when I get out bush

Each calibre, rifle, load etc will be different. You can get general idea if you know the ballistics.

If you are able to test the drop of the rifle/load in question between 50m and 100m you should be able to site that amount high at 50m and be right for 100m.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Vromme" post=5924
      Each calibre, rifle, load etc will be different. You can get general idea if you know the ballistics.

If you are able to test the drop of the rifle/load in question between 50m and 100m you should be able to site that amount high at 50m and be right for 100m.
      yeah I know what you are saying but doesn't having clicks in MOA in my scope rather than mil-rad mean that I need to work in yards instead of metres?

I zero my .204 and .30-06 to be about dead on at 50 yards and don't have to worry about hold over until 250 yards.....mind you the .30-06 rarely goes over 80 yards.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

What calibre you shooting? What I do is zero at 25, then shoot some groups at 50. Then use a ballistic app like strelok. I used the paid version and its great. Used the muzzle velocity truing feature to work out your MV. Assuming you don't have a chrono. Then find your BC for your bullet and use the MV to find point of impact at 100. Should be dead on. Works for me

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I just bought the Strelok pro, I must admit I need a manual to figure it out.

Also don't get confused between MOA and milrad. Moa is a imperial based system, inches and yards. Milrad is metric, cm and metres. 1 moa is roughly 1 inch at 100 yards (91.4 m ). I milrad is 10cm at 100 m. Strelok supports both

Comment

hi Harvey, the rfile im refering to is a .243 with a 24" barrel, I use federal premium and although I don't have a chrono, the data from the federal website should be moderately accurate.

I did have it zeroed at 200 yards but it was a pain in the bum trying to hit bouncing bunnies at 20 metres....and I need to recheck since changing the stock.

I have bee through a few ballistics apps and the information is all the same, im just trying to get it done in yards due to the NF scope being .25 moa clicks.

and I keep getting told, shit in = shit out when it comes to the software

Comment

• Harvey
          Harvey commented
          Editing a comment
          Tried strelok? It's true shit in shit out. But the only values you need should be the bullet weight and the bc which should be on the federal website. Both those values should be good from the factory. Muzzle velocity you can check using the truing feature. Don't get too wrapped up about moa mils yards and metre. The program has support for everything.

If its all too complicated, the just shoot a group and 25 and a group at 50. Send me the pics and let me know what ammo your using. I'll do the rest

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=5992
          hi Harvey, the rfile im refering to is a .243 with a 24" barrel, I use federal premium and although I don't have a chrono, the data from the federal website should be moderately accurate.

I did have it zeroed at 200 yards but it was a pain in the bum trying to hit bouncing bunnies at 20 metres....and I need to recheck since changing the stock.

I have bee through a few ballistics apps and the information is all the same, im just trying to get it done in yards due to the NF scope being .25 moa clicks.

and I keep getting told, shit in = shit out when it comes to the software
          I find its often harder to shoot small targets in really close than far away- at 10-15m its easy to shoot under the target

just remember to give an inch and a half of holdover for very short ranges and you should be fine

i appreciate all the input but im just going to drive out to silverdale tomorrow and zero at 100 yards, at least that way i can accurately enter the data into the ballistics apps and hopefully hit that 200mmx200mm bisaloy plate at 800yards, might be a stretch with the .243 but ill figure itout one way or another

Comment

Working...
        X