Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! bolt won't cycle with new stock and DBM

Hi Gents,

Just received a manners MCS-T for my Tikka Varmint from a mate in the America - its a nice stock but it had to be inlet for a CDI bottom metal so that it would fit the T3 action.

The problem is when I torque the action screws down (to 38inch/lbs) the bolt wont cycle and it becomes harder to make the magazine click into place. The problem goes away if i unscrew the rear action screw a turn or two - the rifle isnt pillar bedded but it did come with 2 aluminium pillars.

Seems like the stock may have less meat around the rear action screw but I'm not sure? I'd like to get it resolved soon because I'm going for a hunt on the long weekend! any help much appreciated

If you do not want to use the pillars, shorten the screws by a few mm?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I would pillar bed it anyway, the stock might be getting crushed. Have a look to see that there are no other points of contact etc.

The answer is simple.
    The action is not bedding into the stock properly, and when you torque the screws you are bending the action just enough to stop the bolt working.
    The solution is to have the action bedded properly by a competant gunsmith.
    The quick fix for your hunting trip would be to cut some shims from an old driver's licence or the like and keep adding them until the bolt cycles. Cut them so that the rear screw passes through them.
    Of course, you could always put the Tikka back into its original stock for the weekend.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by acko13" post=5887
      The answer is simple.
      The action is not bedding into the stock properly, and when you torque the screws you are bending the action just enough to stop the bolt working.
      The solution is to have the action bedded properly by a competant gunsmith.
      The quick fix for your hunting trip would be to cut some shims from an old driver's licence or the like and keep adding them until the bolt cycles. Cut them so that the rear screw passes through them.
      Of course, you could always put the Tikka back into its original stock for the weekend.
      hey Acko13 - I dont think the action is bending with only 38inch/lbs? with the bolt removed and the rear action screw installed I can see its protruding about 1.5mm too far through the rear tang - just enough to bind up the bolt - might have to bed it enough to raise the action a little - I'd prefer not to use the original stock I believe I was a bit heavy handed testing different torque levels and may have crushed the old stock a bit - it started to give me cold bore flyer issues which I never had before. its is part of the reason I changed the stock

CDI is notorious for those problems.
    feeding issues and other problems are caused by the wrong length mag release, also sometimes a wedge is needed to be epoxied above the mag release where you will see a cutout.
    if you contact CDI they may tell you that but dont expect to much help from them.
    CDI pretend to be quality for cheap but their anodising is horrid and they dont come with a mag , being that it nearly ends up being the same cost when you factor in time to fix and a mag as well.

to me it sounds like you may need to shorten the release but that could bring on other issues. Manners make quality stocks so i wouldn't be in a rush to shotten any action screws as the weak link is the CDI Dbm.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Moose" post=5881
      If you do not want to use the pillars, shorten the screws by a few mm?
      Hey Moose, I'll eventually bed the stock myself anyway (I've done a few and its not too hard) - I've never installed pillars before though. will grinding off a couple millimetres affect anything down the track?

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Xbrute - yep... sounds like I will need to do that eventually

Originally posted by S12A" post=5898
      feeding issues and other problems are caused by the wrong length mag release, also sometimes a wedge is needed to be epoxied above the mag release where you will see a cutout.
      if you contact CDI they may tell you that but dont expect to much help from them.
      CDI pretend to be quality for cheap but their anodising is horrid and they dont come with a mag , being that it nearly ends up being the same cost when you factor in time to fix and a mag as well.

to me it sounds like you may need to shorten the release but that could bring on other issues. Manners make quality stocks so i wouldn't be in a rush to shotten any action screws as the weak link is the CDI Dbm.
      arghh! wish I had asked the question before getting the CDI - I didnt find any bad reviews on it previously...

Brent65 - I'll give that a go... check your PM's

PS. this forum need s that multiquote function back!!

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by S12A" post=5898

My Cdi DBM has been pretty good considering I have had one for many years. ( got sick of replacing 4 shot tikka mags at $160 a pop ) I got my Cdi and 2 AI mags for .223 for a whole $280 to my door.

I am still using the Cdi DBM and the two mags I got to date bit rough looking now but she's no longer the work horse ( the Howa is now ) don't loose mags now either ... Floor plate

I guess from your experience is that as time went on and orders pile up the just got into rushing them out the door.

nuthead, check ur pm's mate

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      what about just doing the action screws up until they feel " tight enough" alot of people dont use torque wrenches so its not like your gun is gonna shoot sideways because of it. see if you can do that and the bolt slides smoothly

if 38lb is not very tight then my appoligies
Working...
X