Ruger Gunsite Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger Gunsite Scout

Sorry if this has been done to death, but with the transition from shooting.com.au over to here, I thought it might be easier to start a fresh topic.

I'm interested in these as I'm looking for a versatile 308 - think pigs, deer etc... and anything else. I'm wondering if the shorter barrels will have a major impact on accuracy and range compared to say something like a T3 Lite? I also will want to put a scope on it and want to mount it in the conventional position, i.e a scope with standard eye relief.

I'd be interested in hearing good and bad from any Scout owners,

Thanks,

Frank.

I really like my one - Mine`s the US blued model in Left-Hand - Started off with a scope on it and was easily getting 5 shot 30mm groups at 100yds - I`ve now gone back to the simplicity of the OEM peep & posts and I`m really loving it - Sure I`ve only put a couple of hundred shots through it but I`ve never once had a mis-feed like some of the other guys were reporting on the Aussie issue stainless version.
    "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

I have a Ruger Scout that I set up in the Scout rifle form like adding a extended eye relief scope . It was good out to around 200m with the scope but I ended up selling that scope and buying a Viper Pst 2.5-10x44 . I think its the best combination yet ! I love it cant wait to take it out .
      Attached Files

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
        BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
        Editing a comment
        Had one..... Sold one......

Look into the savage M10 FCM. Rarco do a 10 round DBM. 100% better option IMO

I didn't like the Ruger Gunscout scout, however much I really wanted to. When I tried it, I hated the action. Really hard to operate easily without slamming it.

Try a Tikka Battue.

Comment

My Ruger Scout's probably seen more rounds through it than all my other centrefires put together. I bought it because I wanted a versatile .308 that was short & light enough to be handy in the scrub chasing pigs and goats while at the same time being MOA accurate when scoped out to 300m or so. A high-capacity detachable magazine was also a must due to some of the matches I shoot out at the range.

I've found that the Scout has ticked all those boxes and then some, It comes with an excellent open sights set-up and the option to add a red-dot or LER scout scope to the forward rail, and the rifle also comes with rings supplied that fit straight onto the reciever (need to remove the rear sight first) and facilitate the mounting of a regular SER scope; I mounted a full-length XS rail on the reciever and run a 3-9x40 scope mounted in quick-release rings, so I can quickly remove the scope from the rail and revert to the iron sights (the XS rail has a fully-adjustable rear peep-sight the same as the factory one built in) when I feel the need. Another handy feature is the adjustable length-of-pull via the spacers that can be added or removed from the buttstock, so you can get the rifle to fit your frame juuust right; the soft rubber butt-pad that sits in front of these spacers also helps soak up some of the short-barreled .308 recoil, as does the strong but compact laminate stock.

The only "cons" I noticed are easily fixed. I found the standard single-stack 10rd steel magazine that comes with the rifle to be long and clunky (probably fine for shooting prone and rested at the range however I found it would get caught up in the sling and my clothing when doing positional shoots or plodding through the bush) but there are several other steel and polymer magazines available that are lighter and more compact in design and offer varying capacities (3, 5, 10rd); I went with the double-stack Alpha Type2 10rd mag and am very happy with it. When new the bolts on the stainless-steel versions can be rough and clunky due to the bead-blasted finish on the action however after spending some time polishing the rough spots off the bolt and receiver and giving it a good oil I find it is now reasonably smooth and quick to operate (maybe not on par with my Tikka or Enfield, but not far off).

All in all I am very happy with the rifle and it fills all the roles that I ask it to, and while Ruger have a reputation for making accurate firearms I'm still surprised by the accuracy I can squeeze out of the scout with the right ammunition, and even with cheap commercial hunting rounds.

Comment

Ok, mixed reviews. I've not seen any bad press, just some sticking bolts on the Aussie models. Accuracy and range are my only unknowns.....

Comment

There are many other carbines around, including other Rugers - other than the Scout. Steyr still make them and so do Tikka, Sako (Battue), Howa Carbine and many others. As an all-round caliber I would suggest the 7mm-08 and as a "light caliber" I would suggest the 260 Rem. Let’s not forget the Remington Model 7 and their M7600. As for experience my current fav is an old Winchester M70 with a 20" in 308 Win but who knows that might change in the future.
            If you're going through hell, keep going."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              AI mags, open sights, 18 inch barrel, accurate, stainless steel in a laminate stock, what's not to LOVE!

Some people complain about the rough action, I actually SHOOT mine so unlike some other keyboard warriors who sit at home I drive the bolt like I stole it. It never mis-feeds and the action smooths up a bit after use. It will never get nancy-boy tikka smooth but who gives a doo-doo.

As you may have guessed I own one and love it.

Mine was faulty from the factory had it sent back for repair it was apparently a common fault .bolt not closing over single fed rounds or uncontrolled ones .besides that it shoots very well but the action is quite rough compared to other bolt actions I own . I still actually really like the gun but I wish it was smooth like the tikka :lol:

Comment

Love them but unfortunately I dont have a use to buy one.
              And if I was to hunt I think I would end up with a Howa as I am a tight ass

They are coming standard with the flash suppressor now correct?
              Is the trigger awful like the other Rugers I have shot?

JH

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                thats one of the things I like about mine the trigger has a nice light feel to it .my old hawkeye 223 was not so nice

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by John23" post=7709
                Love them but unfortunately I dont have a use to buy one.
                And if I was to hunt I think I would end up with a Howa as I am a tight ass

They are coming standard with the flash suppressor now correct?
                Is the trigger awful like the other Rugers I have shot?

JH
                Yeah, I think you now have 3 configurations to choose from in Australia: 18" S/S barrel & action without flash supressor (the original model released here & internationally), 18" S/S barrel & action with flash supressor, and the original and formerly US-only model with 16.5" blued barrel & action and flash supressor.

As for the trigger, while mine's on the heavier side at around 5lbs & certainly no target trigger (but ideal for a hunting rig) it is nice and crisp and breaks with no discernable creep. Being an M77 action the trigger can be adjusted to a lighter pull-weight without too much fuss.

Heres my GSR scout.. As you can see i added some bits and peices, great gun.. And it loves it when you treat it rough... Kind of like the missus..

- muzzle brake by Beaton firearms
              - bottom picatinny rail by Beaton firearms
              - American conversion by Beaton firearms
              - XS rail
              - Alpha magazine from Delta Tactical
              - Arctic fox scope (good value!)
              - Versapod bipod & Picatinny mount.

Comment

• fxol
                fxol commented
                Editing a comment
                What size scope is the arctic fox ?

I think its longer than the barrel

Comment

Fxol:

This one - http://www.arcticfoxoptics.com.au/d157-16/sf6-24x44-long-range/

Comment

Ok, so I need some help with ammo. Can any scout owners suggest some factory ammo for the range? I'll need to sight in the scope and then shoot longer range targets.

Comment

• M77
                    M77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try a few diferent brands of ammo ranging from 130gr to 168gr .
                    Every rifle is different keep in mind .

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by fxol" post=14898
                    Ok, so I need some help with ammo. Can any scout owners suggest some factory ammo for the range? I'll need to sight in the scope and then shoot longer range targets.
                    Mate, if you're anywhere near a NRAA range then try to get hold of some of their Palma Match ammo; it's high quality match-grade target ammo for around $22 a box (so about the same or even a bit less than the cheap American Eagle stuff the gunshops flog) loaded with Sierra or HBC (Dyer) 155gn projectiles, and it's loaded here in OZ by Winchester.
                    http://www.nswra.org.au/categories/Ammunition-%26-Components/Ammo/

Although it's meant for the F-class boys shooting their 30" barrelled target rifles at 900m, my short-barrelled Scout loves the stuff & will shoot sub-MOA all day long with it if I do my part; basically $60 Gold-Match ammo for 22-odd bucks a box.

Every time I have been to the local shop, they are out of stock of these bad boys. I did get o hold one a while ago and did like it. The action felt smooth enough for my liking.. I'd like one for a pig gun but am worried that I'd be the poor fella that got a lemon.

If one came up for the right price I might change my mind.
                  Cheers.

Comment

Nuthead

I find mine is quicker using the palm of your hand, not your fingers like in the video...

Its not a nancy boy rifle.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by QuickShooter" post=15270
                      Nuthead

I find mine is quicker using the palm of your hand, not your fingers like in the video...

If you've ever shot something like a mosin (the king of clunky actions ) then palming it is a necessity. You gotta be "authoratitive".

Or as they say, 'slap that bitch' lol

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nuthead

for sure - his technique isnt the best - instead of letting go of the rifle entirely with his trigger hand, if he opened his palm and angled it up so he grabbed the bolt with the web of his thumb/index finger and slid his hand back it would be quicker... but it still looks like he has to crunch through some 'stuff' before he can chamber a round

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
                      BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nuthead

Hi Nuthead. I was taught never to close your bolt with your palm by my WWI experience grandfather....The reason, if the bolt blows back its better to loose a finger than a hand.....

Gun's may be more reliable now days?
                  Working...
                  X