.338 Federal in a Tikka T3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .338 Federal in a Tikka T3

Hi new to the forum but not to shooting.
    Just about to put my money down on a Tikka T3 in a .338 Federal cal.
    Anyone have any thing to do with this calibre, I'm interested in it as it's a bit different, although factory ammo is expensive.
    Will end up reloading in the near future.
    Cheers Zulu.

My hunting partner built one for his medium rifle. It works like a charm and hits hard!

He uses the 200gn Woodleigh bullets and they regularly end to end critters who seem to lose the ability to stand afterwards. IIRC he has found BM8208 to be the best powder in this combination.

Neck up 308 cases and you will be sweet.

Comment

• WhelanLad
      WhelanLad commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, a different calibre for sure, but these days with prices of ammo for almost any Calibre, Reloading is almost a must an brings many of those Odd-Ball cartridges back into play very reasonably.

Unfortunaly had nothing to do with a Fed as its just not needed in my Arsenal but would one day enjoy the .338 for the Big deer... certainly did interest me but back way back when, I went for a Whelen.

the T3 is a LA so kind of defeats the purpose of the Federal but that's not a huge deal

WL

Hello!
    I have a 338Fed. It hits hard and flattens red deer! I use 308 brass and just simply FL size in a 338 die to make my brass. At the moment I am using swift scirocco projectiles. I have found that it is not to bad on the shoulder as well.
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Thank you people,
      As I live in WA it will be used for donkey and camel and some pigs over here.
      My parents live in North East Victoria and I'll used it for sambar deer over that way.
      Was trying to get on in Laminate/stainless but it's over a 6 month wait so have settled for a T3 Hunter blued with walnut stock.
      Cheers Zulu

Comment

I hate to sound like a naysayer but it seems a shame to have that nice long action with just a short action cartridge in it. Probably doesn't make much difference I know but you could get a medium or full length round in that T3 action and get the benefit of extra powder capacity and a little more horsepower.

The 30-06 springs to mind or for something different, the 8x57 JS has about 10% more powder capacity over the 338 Fed and factory S&B ammo is pretty cheap.

Anyway just thoughts. I have always wanted a 338 Fed as well but would only go that way if I was also getting the benefit of a short action.

Comment

• Yoshie
          Yoshie commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by bobnob" post=46157
          I hate to sound like a naysayer but it seems a shame to have that nice long action with just a short action cartridge in it.
          223 is quite popular in the Tikkas

Am enjoying the feedback and differing of opinions.
        The reason I went with the Tikka is mainly price in this calibre, build quality and accuracy out of the box. While factory ammo is expensive the options of reloading are quite broad. My first choice would have been the Sako Grizzly but it came in over a grand more than the Tikka, made in the same factory.
        I've owned a Tikka 22.250 many years ago and was very happy with it.
        Cheers Zulu

Comment

• bobnob
          bobnob commented
          Editing a comment
          A long throated 8x57 would be my pick in the Tikka .

195g bullets at 2700fps. Nice.

Would have to agree with you Zulu on the availability of components.......any thing 338 is cool to have at the moment! I live in a WA country town and I can even get projies!
        Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Whilst I agree with the sentiment about the T3 action length, the OP was asking after a cartridge chambered by the factory - the 338 Federal. I can appreciate why he would be interested in such a thing, it is a very effective cartridge.

Unfortunately it is not possible to drop a 338/06 reamer into the T3 338 Fed to make it a long action cartridge - the chamber won't be erased by the '06 case and a setback is not an option due to the barrel profile.

Comment

• bobnob
            bobnob commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by adamjp" post=48439
            Whilst I agree with the sentiment about the T3 action length, the OP was asking after a cartridge chambered by the factory - the 338 Federal. I can appreciate why he would be interested in such a thing, it is a very effective cartridge.

Unfortunately it is not possible to drop a 338/06 reamer into the T3 338 Fed to make it a long action cartridge - the chamber won't be erased by the '06 case and a setback is not an option due to the barrel profile.
            I wonder if a 338-06 AI would do it?

Yes Gents,
          I had considered the 30-06 and the.35 Whelan but I have settled for the .338 Federal because it's a very effective round (although quite expensive if buying factory rounds). The only rifle in my price range is the Tikka and although it's a long action the bolt stop comes into play to be used for the .338 Fed.
          My rifle has been ordered so now all I can do is wait. I'm looking forward to reloading myself and getting the best out of the .338Fed as possible.
          I am really enjoying all the suggestions and info.
          Cheers Zulu.

Comment

• MrCarbine
            MrCarbine commented
            Editing a comment
            You have made the right choice.
            There is not much that will walk away once hit by a 338 Fed.

• bobnob
            bobnob commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Zulu" post=48615
            Yes Gents,
            I had considered the 30-06 and the.35 Whelan but I have settled for the .338 Federal because it's a very effective round (although quite expensive if buying factory rounds). The only rifle in my price range is the Tikka and although it's a long action the bolt stop comes into play to be used for the .338 Fed.
            My rifle has been ordered so now all I can do is wait. I'm looking forward to reloading myself and getting the best out of the .338Fed as possible.
            I am really enjoying all the suggestions and info.
            Cheers Zulu.
            Well good luck with it. You are no doubt very excited about it and I would be interested to hear how it works out.

The 200g Hornady SST would seem a good place to start. Nice sleek bullet which I believe was designed for 338 Fed speeds.

It would be interesting too to find out how the Tikka handles the heavier 338 cal bullets too, 250g plus.

Happy New Year.

- Bob

Once again thanks for all the info,
          Putting aside the fact that my rifle will be a LA for a medium case, the main reasons I went for the 338 Federal were
          Knock down power
          Less recoil than 338 Win Mag
          Ease of getting reloading materials eg (308 brass )
          And the 338 Federal being a somewhat under estimated calibre.
          I am looking forward to updating this post once the paper work is done(takes months in WA) and I can start hunting/reloading with it.
          Cheers Zulu.

Comment

• WhelanLad
            WhelanLad commented
            Editing a comment
            hey Zulu how did u go with the Fed?

I have to eat my words on the Tikka comment, as I now own a T3 lite in 308 an havnt put it down since acquiring it.....

Interested in how you found the 338 Fed though

cheers

WL

Reading back over this thread, I've since bought a 338WM and been using it on a few pigs. Mostly shooting 200g Hotcors which are cheap and shoot accurately in my Vanguard. They're loaded mild.

I reckon they would be an excellent choice in the 338 Fed.

All pigs have been pass throughs, making a nice exit hole and holding together which was evident because they were impacting trees some 40y behind the pigs in one piece.

Comment

Working...
          X