New Howa, a shooting post. 26" 6.5 CM MDT XRS Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Howa, a shooting post. 26" 6.5 CM MDT XRS Chassis

I caught a bit of a longe range bug last year as you do and headed down a research road of new (longer) barrels for what I already have, weighed up the pros and cons and bought something I never thought I would.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7200.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	319799

A boomstick in a chassis. It was a tad over $1400 plus the rail and I am still dicking around experimenting with Bipods.
    After an initial run in and some trigger work I went out today to work up a load.

The desire was to pick a load with the best SD (standard deviation) over 5 or 6 different tests and confirm something to go forward with, testing at 100yds.

I found out the lands are almost equal to my mag length when using Hornady ELDM 140gn so I started with that, the mag feed was catchy shit so I seated 20 thou further in for the below group, this dropped the velocity about 30fps to 2615fps average from 2645fps.

This was the third target and achieved my SD minimum of 10. If I say I pulled the low shot whats left is a workable group I guess under 1/2 MOA anyway. The SD was 7.85 for these 5 shots.

Name:	63478820602__208A1AB3-1986-4920-BFA2-F43FF25E223C.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	319800

So I stuffed it but the SD was nice.

The very next target I seated another 20 thou in, again 5 shots but the SD went out to 11.2 still workable but look at the grouping, 4 in a very tight little space and a left solo. The velocity averaged 2610.

Name:	IMG_7504.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	319802

So I reckon I'll stick with the last load and seating and maybe more careful loading might produce a lower SD.

The goal is to make a gong sound at a mile soon.

Any thoughts from the brain trust here?

Attached Files

yep, i'd stick with that load in the lower target unless it proves otherwise.
    just keep using that load,....and go chasing accuracy elsewhere such as stock-to-action fit-up, trigger updates perhaps, bipod usage and rear bag techniques etc, and cold bore behaviors.
    get yourself a good 100m zero and load data / drop charts, and spend the rest on ammo, conquering long range wind and mirage reading .
    keep us updated on the progress.

Comment

Name:	72556391.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	319805

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Now try it when your paper target is running at full noise through the scrub and you can only see it fleetingly through the trees 🙃
        Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• danandria
          danandria commented
          Editing a comment
          haha no worries at 1600m should be a piece of piss

Originally posted by Send-it View Post
        long range wind and mirage
        ^ ^ ^ ^

And the distance, cartridge and bullet weight will prove otherwise.

But hey! Ol' mate bought himself another 'Fagmore'. It's a mile that's motivating him and I'm sure he'll get on target. But all that development work and talk will mean bugger all when slightly under gunned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	STEYR-HS-50-M1-Zweibein-ausgeklappt-re-1024x305.png Views:	11 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	319817

Here ya go! On at a mile 'most' times with that guaranteed follow up shot. But there is a big difference from $15K to $1500... Heaps of 6.5 Creedmore ammo difference.
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

A Howa in Fagmoor will shoot with the best at medium ranges and should be fine longer but I haven't done that.
          The ELDs are long and never really tried to make them feed from the internal mag, they may have just fit but still didn't feed well.

If you are loading mild you could build-up to the next node to get the best from the long barrel and shorter flight time in the wind.
          Lots go to around 42gr of 09 but I couldn't go much over 41gr as the bolt lift was a little tight.
          From memory, I think mine go about 2,740fps and got those high single-digit SDs and single ragged 5 shot groups at 100 before the barrel wore and lost the bench rest type accuracy.

After someone telling me the 147gr ELD factory ammo shot so well and did around 2.700fps I had a hard time believing they would stoke up factory ammo like that but the claims are there when I looked it up.
          Also seen about 3 diff rifles shoot single raggeds with it, mine didn't and never bought a second pack at about $67 for 20 LOL.
          They are even longer than the 140s so single feeding if you load them, they do shoot, as do 143s.
          I used them all after the shorter Sierra Match Kings got too expensive.
          Can't beat the Cleavers ELD specials as you prob know, bit over $50 a pack now and about $30 post for me buying 500 or so.

Enjoy the LR as it's good fun and learning although the apps do it for you, still it's the wind they can't really work out properly.
          I would make a big target for the 1,000 plus as more fun hitting steel than dirt.

Makes a good sniper tool off the ute for hoppers and pigs and shit if they are standing still.
          I still wish I had mine ready when I got an opportunity years back and could have got heaps more for the manager and owner.

Comment

• danandria
            danandria commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Magoo

'Magoo' he's talking about a mile.... 1609.3 meters.

'Dust' will be his friend no matter what, even at 1000M.

Comment

• danandria
            danandria commented
            Editing a comment
            Managed 1,000 meters last attempt with the 20" barrel and not too much dust. I dont see how the 26" barrel will be any harder, also given some of the positive help below I may be able to pull another 200fps.

If you check my thread you will see how mine goes, I would suggest going up on the load for the longer range application. Mine is 2850fps at 43g 2209 with 140g ELD-M and is very consistent at the range. I have no pressure signs with the hornady brass.

this is it at 100 5 shots

Attached Files
          "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

Comment

I’ll jump back in here a little later. I’ve got some tweaking of my ‘fagmore’ to do right now.... And I need it bang on first shot next weekend.

Comment

Yeah, the splash is all I use really as everything would need to be spot on with apps past 800 or so.

Still reckon I would want more than a 16" circle to shoot at anywhere near a mile or dirt is all I would see for 9 out of 10 shots.
              I would use a metre square mild steel plate as you're not likely to punch holes in it at that range surely.
              Last edited by magoo; 14-02-2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                I’ll jump back in here a little later. I’ve got some tweaking of my ‘fagmore’ to do right now.... And I need it bang on first shot next weekend.
                Bang on to what at what distance first shot?

Comment

I needed to tweak the 100M zero is all, bringing two shots together. (I did that @ 50M). I wasn't happy with it on the paddock test. The factory ammo I use and a few calcs and I'll be comfortable out to 300-400, maybe even a little beyond. I won't have the luxury to 'gin around' kicking up dust, maybe get two shots if lucky. Nor want to take one beyond. I'll take a couple more in the paddock at 100M just to see if what I've allowed gives the same result. (Probably will be as it usually is) and I'll be set... Can't wait to send that little bit of paperwork off to Nioa for the Custom dial settings.

It was nice to shoot the thing off a more stable platform. Being so light and small the thing certainly jumped... But it will be from the shoulder or a tree next time it's used.

So bang on to what..? Dinner.

At what distance..? So you are not looking for it at Dinner time.

You did alright at 1000M last time with the Sako. Now, you've got the longer 'Howa Vader' with the 'Jedi' home loads topped with an extra 200fps. That extra three fifths more of the original distance should be a 'cake' mate? Be great to see a pic of the smile on you dial when you score those shots... Have to be better than the one we are graced with Monthly.

Comment

• danandria
                    danandria commented
                    Editing a comment
                    just when I was gonna send you a framed copy...

Was getting 2680fps with 147gr ELD-M with my Howa, good repeatable hits out to 1200m tried to hit the 1600m gong but due to the rain I couldn’t spot my misses....maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by GD308 View Post
                    ... I couldn’t spot my misses.
                    But if you are collecting your brass you can easily count them...

Tell me where you blokes want your new gong...? 'Fish' is making non-stop deliveries up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	r0_0_739_415_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	319884

There's a bonus 'Milk Jug' in each one.

Comment

"just when I was gonna send you a framed copy..."

"Straight to the Pool Room..."

Comment

Working...
                      X