Choate stocks for Howa 1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choate stocks for Howa 1500

Hey all, has anyone here fitted a Choate tactical stock to their Howa 1500? I have a 1500 in .308 with a heavy fluted barrel, but it's in one of the standard Hogue stocks. The stock itself is good for what it is, and the rifle is dead accurate (sub moa at 200m), and it's very impressive out to 500m, but I get the feeling it could be so much better with a more rigid stock. I find the Hogue has a bit too much flex for my liking, and I'd like to be able to push out to 1000m in the future.
    Also, I have fitted a detachable mag kit (the polymer kind) to my Hogue, does anyone know if the also fit the Choate? Or will I have to change to one of those rattly AI kits?

Any suggestions from anyone who has a Choate on their 1500 would be much appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MartysHowa.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	56408

P:S - I don't use the ammo in the photo, I know it's crap, it's just a photo from when I first bought the rifle. I currently reload with 165g Hornady SST with ADI AR2208.

I have a Choate stock ( That i have had for about 5 year's now ) I like the look of there new Tac model, I like that it has a better palm swell, also that the there is not so much vertical in the grip. More of a curve.

It's on the list to replace the varmint version of stock, too which i own.

Sorry i dont have the exact stock for the make of rifle your after, but i thought my 2 bob worth could be of some help.

The stock is quite heavy, not so bad if your not lugging it about. I did notice a better increase in accuracy, but this is also on my part as i had better control over the stock and it's fitted to me ( not me fitting to the stock like the old stock ) They don't require a bedding job ( can do if you want ) But no need, as they use a V style bedding system. the ally skeleton is the whole length of the stock attributes to zero flexing. If you have small hand's toy might find the varmint version off putting as the palm swell is quite large. ( I got big hand's ) There are many more model's to choose from now ( Back when i got mine ) We had 2 option's the sniper or the varmint version of the stock also there was no option for box mag's either. ( suited me fine and still to this day i got no regret's ) But now they have all kind's of option's.

The fitting of the stock is pretty darn good in my book's. ( Well worth the $500 back then ) But seeing as that Tac model came out i had been eyeing it off to replace this old girl.

Pic's are from this year ( winter time ) when i got the 6.5x47 barrel to play with. ( had to machine the first 2.5" of barrel channel for the 6.5 barrel to fit. ( odd profile )

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      RE you Mag system.

If your mag system, is the one that bolt's onto the Howa. Without any mod's to the stock. You should be fine in using the same mag system, in the Choate stock.

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out Bell&Carlson, pretty happy with mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-20.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	56429

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice stock, I am looking at the Choate tac model. I see you also anneal your case necks, good man.

marty,
    there's a 'Howa' thread in the rifles section.
    you'll see several different stocks if you want, including choates.
    unless you were just chasing the choate ones only.
    i was about to get a choate, but i chucked a Bell & carlson varmint on mine.
    best thing i did to it.
    just a personal taste thing.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Send-it" post=45038
      marty,
      there's a 'Howa' thread in the rifles section.
      you'll see several different stocks if you want, including choates.
      unless you were just chasing the choate ones only.
      i was about to get a choate, but i chucked a Bell & carlson varmint on mine.
      best thing i did to it.
      just a personal taste thing.
      Oh, cool, thanks mate, I'll check it out.
Working...
X