303-25 ..... thoughts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303-25 ..... thoughts ?

Iv'e been given the oportunity to buy a 303-25 Eddystone rifle. I dont really know much about them and them and am in the process of consulting 'Google' for reviews and ratings on the caliber.

I have found some info on the action type as below, P14; but havent found too much info on the rifle as a whole.
    Was this conversion 303 to 303-25 done on a large number of types of rifle ?
    Are there issues with this type of action ?
    General things to look out for ?

Rifle is (as advised by the seller) is -

303-25 eddystone, Pattern 1914 enfield action (p14)
    Comes with reloading dies, 200 rounds of handloads complete and 400 pre sized brass.

The size caliber intreagues me and am interested to hear what type of game could be taken with it...... I know the shot placement and quality of shooter component etc..... but in general terms....... is it big enough for goats ? smaller pigs ? Small enough to take rabbit without to much damage ?

I am also looking at a No1 Mk3 Lithgow 1942 .303 from the same gent...... cant wait to check that one out :P

Any and all comments/thoughts greatfully received, hope today wasn't too unlucky for anyone

Originally posted by FanTikkaTastic" post=42062
    Iv'e been given the oportunity to buy a 303-25 Eddystone rifle. I dont really know much about them and them and am in the process of consulting 'Google' for reviews and ratings on the caliber.

I have found some info on the action type as below, P14; but havent found too much info on the rifle as a whole.
    Was this conversion 303 to 303-25 done on a large number of types of rifle ?
    Are there issues with this type of action ?
    General things to look out for ?

Rifle is (as advised by the seller) is -

303-25 eddystone, Pattern 1914 enfield action (p14)
    Comes with reloading dies, 200 rounds of handloads complete and 400 pre sized brass.

The size caliber intreagues me and am interested to hear what type of game could be taken with it...... I know the shot placement and quality of shooter component etc..... but in general terms....... is it big enough for goats ? smaller pigs ? Small enough to take rabbit without to much damage ?

I am also looking at a No1 Mk3 Lithgow 1942 .303 from the same gent...... cant wait to check that one out :P

Any and all comments/thoughts greatfully received, hope today wasn't too unlucky for anyone
    Very strong action, based on the mauser 98.303/25, was a post WW2 way to get similar to 243 performace ish in a scarce resourced Australia.

If you want Factory Ammo, only Unique Munitions would offer it for you.

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a lithgow 30-25 for sale in the classifieds
      Quite cheap for a full wood lithgow

I believe lithgow re barrelled SMLEs due to restrictions on military ammo

The 303-25 more or less came about via post-war commercial necessity with plenty of ex-mil rifles about and most commercial rifles out of the budget of Australian hunters. (same thing in NZ too) The round itself was a cheap way to get 25cal bullets into the air ( bulk with a capital B ammounts of 303 brass kicking around at the time ) when alternatives were scarce or expensive.

The advent of the 303-25 had little to do with the ban on Military issues calibers in some states, more that a 303 was pure overkill for most medium game and a 25 cal was more the ticket...

Anyhow, 303 wildcats such as 303-22, 303-243, 303-25, 303-270 are more or less obsolete these days, but still enjoy niche following and are quite capable for what they were intended for. I'd think twice buying one, but then again, I don't handload, but would possibly reconsider if I did and the right gun showed up for the right price.

You can get 'factory' 303-25 ammo from Unique Munitions, but thats about it i think

The P14 itself was designed with the tactical thrashing of the 303 LE equipped Commonwealth Army at the hands of the Boers with their flash mausers fresh in the british minds ( I'll leave that for more knowledgable contributors) and would've been the standard issue rifle but for WW1.

P14/M17 was a bloody good rifle, but compared to the Lee Enfield, was never really 'the thing' with shooters (although target shooters and gunsmiths loved them) As someone mentioned, strong action because its a front locker based on a mauser.

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah a bloody great old gun. This is mine.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-13-2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	53713

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-13-3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	53714

As said a very strong action, and with that much brass you should be sorted to keep feeding it for a fair while.

I have a P14 303/25 which I originally bought to make up a big game rifle on the action. The darn thing shoots 0.75MOA day in and out; too good to waste. The 25 cal is probably more than the .243 as barrels with a 1:10 twist will shoot up to the 117gn roundnose projectile and loads given for the 257 Roberts can easily be duplicated in the front locking action. The loads given in most manuals are reduced for use in the much weaker SMLE's,

As always start at minimum loads and work up watching for pressure signs.
    Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=42162
      I have a P14 303/25 which I originally bought to make up a big game rifle on the action. The darn thing shoots 0.75MOA day in and out; too good to waste. The 25 cal is probably more than the .243 as barrels with a 1:10 twist will shoot up to the 117gn roundnose projectile and loads given for the 257 Roberts can easily be duplicated in the front locking action. The loads given in most manuals are reduced for use in the much weaker SMLE's,

As always start at minimum loads and work up watching for pressure signs.
      I'd heard quiet a few were converted to big game rifles, what calibre were you thinking of building?

The P14 bolt face will take all magnum rifle cases as well as 404 Jefferies (inc WSM's ) as well as 405 Winchester and 40/70 Sharps. I have dies and cases for 405 Win and since P14 magazine box is suited to rimmed cases that's what I'm building.

Picked up this nice Remingtom P14 in 303 Epps Improved last year. A formed case holds about 6 gns more powder than a 303 British and performs better than a 30.06 pushing a 170gn RN to just over 3000fps. Epps also made a 303/25 that was equal to the 257 Roberts AI.

Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

Would be great on deer and pigs. Hell on rabbits.

A 100g Interlock would be a good all rounder in that chambering.

Comment

• Varmtr
        Varmtr commented
        Editing a comment
        Great round on a good action. Go for it or I'll get it if you don't want it and do my 6mm / 303 on it instead of a No4 action.
        The P14 action is a hell of lot stronger than a SMLE action.
    Working...
    X