Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest me a good pig rifle in .308W

Okay guys.

So my mate and I primarily target foxes with our .204R's but lately we have been coming across some big pigs out in the stubble of the property we shoot on, often in mobs.

We always have the 12g handy with SG's but something with a little more range for the pigs would be nice, we usually can drive into a mob but by the time you have let both barrels go with the 12g the rest of the grunters have got away to the scrub line or are too far away for the 12g to reach. We got a few pigs this way on the last trip but lost a huge boar even though he absorbed 2 rounds of SG behind the shoulder from about 20 metres!

If we had a good ol 308 with a few spare shots up the mag this one would not have got away, would probably have dropped him with the first shot in all honesty!
    The short term solution is to purchase some 1 ounce slugs for the 12g but I would like to buy myself a carbine type rifle with open sights and option to mount aimpoint/low power scope.

At first I thought the Ruger Gunsight Scout fitted the bill perfectly, but after a bit of reading it would appear this rifle has issues with reliable feeding and general quality. What other options are out there that are designed to do the job of the Ruger? I know that there is always the option of a Lever action as well.

The reason I want a 308 is I have all the dies ect ready to go given I shoot fullbore target rifle most weekends so will be reloading for it.

Would prefer a bolt action with high capacity mag, but open to a lever action if one can be had chambered in 308win ..........

All thoughts appreciated.

Ben.

Aia 308 maybe???
    Like this one

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=25625

Or even one of the Jungle Carbine style aia rifles on usedguns
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

not sure about bolt actions but if it's speed you want 7600 or 7600p will work wonders

but if you must go the way of the lever as far as i know there is only the BLR (not cheap) or you will have to look at the .308 marlin express

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rat man407" post=41708
        not sure about bolt actions but if it's speed you want 7600 or 7600p will work wonders
        That's some sound logic, hard to argue against it.

I'm looking for exactly the same thing, so interested in where this goes.
      I did consider the 7.62x39 and not totally written that off with the CZ 527

In 308 have you considered the Remmington 7600 pump (10 rounds) or if funds allw the steyr scout (2x 5 rounds (spare mag in the butt)

Comment

Remington 7600. RARCO, a sponsor, has them for $1065, thats a cracking deal!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Oddball" post=41725
          Remington 7600. RARCO, a sponsor, has them for $1065, thats a cracking deal!
          Now $985, now thats an insane price!!!

If you're open to levers maybe a Browning BLR?

Comment

I've got a BLR in 308 and it's primarily used for pigs in thick timber and out on crops.. Awesome gun.. I've been playing around with scopes on it..
          Started with a vxr pig plex but didn't like the thick black reticle on black pigs..
          Moved a to a fine duplex vxr 2-7 and really enjoying the illuminated reticle..
          Thinking of a red dot but happy for now..
          The BLR is very smooth to cycle and I always carry a spare mag as well..
          Bit of a pain to clean but its so much fun to use..

Comment

Not so much a particular brand, more a type

You want a quick shooting 308, then a lever action or pump action is the ticket: Brand new, thats either a 7600 pump or a BLR lever. Second hand, its either 7600 or any box mag lever action you can get for the price ( Winchester 88's being my particular weakness, but Miroku/Brownings, Savage 99's and mortgage the house Sakos out there)

Anything else is bolt action territory and the sky is the limit there ( price, weight, magazine capacity, you name it, there's a variable )

Cheap and Quick bolt action rifle that you can raise hell in a mob with? A cut down 303 Lee Enfield... not many bolt actions out there quicker than a Lee, but draw a line through that because its no a 308.

Comment

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************************

Try one of these rifles, Haenel Jaeger 10.

Very smooth action and light enough for the scrub.

The principles here: reduction down to the essential, a classic shape, the best steel and fine wood.
              Forged receiver is unique in this class:its precise handling and makes the operation of the bolt handle smooth indeed.

Thanks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	HaenelJaeger10.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	53742

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESJi-uTmy0

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************************

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going to suggest a Remmy 7600 but everyone else has already done it. The only way you'll get quicker follow up shots is with a cat D.

I use a HS Precision rdr (20" barrell) with a 10shot mag in .308 ... you can keep rattlin off shots its amazing

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                If you have the coin get a browning maral, just over 2K!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MARAL_1_2013-12-19.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	56022

Its also the perfect situation for tne old lever as well!
                Attached Files

Winchester 94 in 3030!

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by i8ian4t" post=44572
                Winchester 94 in 3030!
                Classic "old skool"!

If your money conscious an old 303 shouldn't set you back much? If money not a problem 7600 or 7615 (ten shot mags for the 7600 can be hit and miss in regards to feeding, and reliable mags are bloody dear) I love my 7615, another option if you were looking at 308 is the ruger gunsight scout?
              Just a few options for ya matey

Comment

• Archie
                Archie commented
                Editing a comment
                .270 in what ever brand or a BLR Browning lever in a good caliber .243/.270/.308 at least the blr is accurate compared to Rem 7615 and with the rem 7615's ya waist alot of ammo cause they arent that accurate I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest but the proof is in the pudding .

Originally posted by notorious_benny" post=41704
              Okay guys.

So my mate and I primarily target foxes with our .204R's but lately we have been coming across some big pigs out in the stubble of the property we shoot on, often in mobs.

We always have the 12g handy with SG's but something with a little more range for the pigs would be nice, we usually can drive into a mob but by the time you have let both barrels go with the 12g the rest of the grunters have got away to the scrub line or are too far away for the 12g to reach. We got a few pigs this way on the last trip but lost a huge boar even though he absorbed 2 rounds of SG behind the shoulder from about 20 metres!

If we had a good ol 308 with a few spare shots up the mag this one would not have got away, would probably have dropped him with the first shot in all honesty!
              The short term solution is to purchase some 1 ounce slugs for the 12g but I would like to buy myself a carbine type rifle with open sights and option to mount aimpoint/low power scope.

At first I thought the Ruger Gunsight Scout fitted the bill perfectly, but after a bit of reading it would appear this rifle has issues with reliable feeding and general quality. What other options are out there that are designed to do the job of the Ruger? I know that there is always the option of a Lever action as well.

The reason I want a 308 is I have all the dies ect ready to go given I shoot fullbore target rifle most weekends so will be reloading for it.

Would prefer a bolt action with high capacity mag, but open to a lever action if one can be had chambered in 308win ..........

All thoughts appreciated.

Ben.
              lever action good,but out the window shooting can be done but bloody uncomfortable, pump guns the same can be done probably better than lever guns , bolt action guns ya dont have that problem so either get two guns, one for the 4wd and one for scrub running

Comment

Working...
              X