Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm Rem, Mag. twist rate

Hi All,

I have a bit of a question, Im looking at placing an order for a semi custom 7mm rem mag in the new year, Im pretty set on this calibre as it has better ballistic performance than the 300 win mag but is a lot cheaper to load for than the 338 lap mag(what I really want).

My question is what twist rate would be suitable for the 140-150gn bullets in a 26" barrel?

I have a 1:9.5 in mine which shoots 150gr - 168gr quite well. It does not like 175- 180gr though.
    Anyway, back on topic. If you go 1:9.5 or 1:9 you will be fine.
    Others with more experience will be able to help you more.

Cheers, Andy

Comment

Pardon for being off topic, but why are you aiming to shoot such light projectiles? If your aim is long range shooting you will need to be using 165grains and up with a heavy 180 being the target weight... Well that's what I would be doing...

Comment

Insert longrangehunter here, one of the 7mm gods.... The man is a Wealth of 7mm knowledge....
        I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• CE
          CE commented
          Editing a comment
          162 grain Amax needs 1 in 9.5 minimum. 1 in 9 is better for heavier(longer) bullets including lighter monolithic bullets(which are longer for any given weight)

Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=41135
        Hi All,

I have a bit of a question, Im looking at placing an order for a semi custom 7mm rem mag in the new year, Im pretty set on this calibre as it has better ballistic performance than the 300 win mag but is a lot cheaper to load for than the 338 lap mag(what I really want).

My question is what twist rate would be suitable for the 140-150gn bullets in a 26" barrel?
        Bottleinspector

1in 9 mate. If you want the ballistic advantage you'll be shooting the 162's the 168's , 175's and 180's …….. 1 in 9 is the only choice.

FT

Comment

cheers for all the response guys, I was initially thinking the 140-150 at about 3300fps but It seems I have not read up well enough on the ballistic advantages of the heavier 7mm projectiles available, im not real concerned about it being a barrel burner as it would only see about 100 rounds per year and I can handle rebarreling every 10-12 years

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I had a 1 in 10 twist in my last 7mm which shot really well with the 162 a-max and 168 bergers,my new 7mm i have recently had built has a 1 in 9 twist,i am still shooting the 168 bergers with great success,but will also run the 180 bergers if required,as others have said to get the best long range performance you really need to be using the heavier pills,when it comes to long range the BC of a pill plays a huge part in success.
        Working...
        X