Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand Rifle should I buy?

What brand Rifle should I buy?
    I already know what I want in a rifle but I’m not sure which brand has everything that I want.

After my .22 Henry I am going to get a .223 for a medium rifle and a .270 large my rifle.
    I want both the .223 and the .270 to be bolt action, have Stainless Steel Varmint Barrels, be able to take a 10 round detachable magazine. I would also prefer it if the magazines are interchangeable between the two rifles if that is possible, and a minimum barrel length of 24”(61cm). And it would be preferable if both were the same brand.

I like the Tikka T3 because they have most of the above but I don’t like that they only have a 7 round magazine or the fact that you don’t have the option of loading a round through the breach, you can only use the magazine.

I will attach a scope and bipod to them later.

Regards.
    SS.

What do you want a 10 round magazine in a .270 for? By the way....they kick a bit.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=40028
      What do you want a 10 round magazine in a .270 for? By the way....they kick a bit.
      Range shooting, and despite my user name I’m not the best shot. And 10 rounds is the legal limit here in Victoria.

I can always put rubber padding on the stock to help reduce the kick.

Why would you want magazines interchangeable between the 2 rifles if they are of different calibres?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by okeefenokee" post=40036
      Why would you want magazines interchangeable between the 2 rifles if they are of different calibres?
      so if one magazine brakes you dont have to buy more, provided its even possible.

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      The best rifle to buy will be the one you can afford and fits you the best
      The worlds most expensive rifle and scope is not going to make you a better shooter

Your talking about a long action cartridge in the .270 and a short action in the .223....might be like trying to fit a square in a round hole.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=40039
      Your talking about a long action cartridge in the .270 and a short action in the .223....might be like trying to fit a square in a round hole.
      Having the magazines interchangeable is probable the least most important out of everything I mentioned. Having a 10 round for the .223 is a must though as this mill be my main hunting rifle out past 100m.

You obviously have the internet, why not do the research your self? Weatherby / Howa have a DBM or aftermarket kits that can be fitted. You have mentioned Tikka only having a 7 shot mag, really after 7 shots with the 270 you will need to let the rifle cool down or buy a second magazine. Good luck at finding SS Varmint barrels. Happy hunting...

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Yibbitta" post=40042
      You obviously have the internet, why not do the research your self?
      I cant help but think If I guy cant ask questions about brands of rifles on a shooting forum from a bunch of people that already own these rifles there would be something wrong . This thread is already saving a poor gun shop owner a headache :lol: and at least the thread is about guns .
      Tikka stainless varmint in 223 will help make you a sharp shooter and are often accurate out of the box with factory ammo and there are other good mag options but there 223 Howa varmints blued with pic rail and rings with a scope for $599 on line atm or even a 22-250 without scope for $499 .

Originally posted by Sharp_Shooter" post=40026
    I already know what I want in a rifle but I’m not sure which brand has everything that I want.

After my .22 Henry I am going to get a .223 for a medium rifle and a .270 large my rifle.
    I want both the .223 and the .270 to be bolt action, have Stainless Steel Varmint Barrels, be able to take a 10 round detachable magazine. I would also prefer it if the magazines are interchangeable between the two rifles if that is possible, and a minimum barrel length of 24”(61cm). And it would be preferable if both were the same brand.

I like the Tikka T3 because they have most of the above but I don’t like that they only have a 7 round magazine or the fact that you don’t have the option of loading a round through the breach, you can only use the magazine.

Regards.
    SS.
    What Brand ? ONE YOU LIKE ! Sounds like you are describing a Tikka T3.

You can get 10 round mags for T3's.
    You can single load rounds through the breech, into the chamber, but not into the mag.
    What is wrong with two 5 round mags anyway, all you will need.
    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

I can only get 3 in my .30-06 magazine and that's a Tikka....3's enough. 4 in the .204.

Comment

• TwoFourThree
        TwoFourThree commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=40044
        I can only get 3 in my .30-06 magazine and that's a Tikka....3's enough. 4 in the .204.
        Both my T3 Varmint models came with 5 round mags as standard, have not emptied one yet, except at the range, but slowly.

I think Howa are a good choice for a first centrefire rifle.

.223 is available in stainless heavy barrel. As far as I'm aware, the stainless .270 is only available with a sporter barrel.

Generally they don't come with a DBM, but there's a number of aftermarket options.

And I could be wrong, but I don't think you're going to find matching magazines for both calibres. .223 is a short action calibre, while the .270 is a long action. They will require different size magazines.

Tikka are also a very good option, especially since they had a price reduction to make them more competitive with Howa.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by overkill" post=40055
        I think Howa are a good choice for a first centrefire rifle.

.223 is available in stainless heavy barrel. As far as I'm aware, the stainless .270 is only available with a sporter barrel.

Generally they don't come with a DBM, but there's a number of aftermarket options.

And I could be wrong, but I don't think you're going to find matching magazines for both calibres. .223 is a short action calibre, while the .270 is a long action. They will require different size magazines.

Tikka are also a very good option, especially since they had a price reduction to make them more competitive with Howa.
        I couldn’t find a SS varmint in the Howa, but I found the Tikka.
        Probable a stupid question but what’s a DBM?

I found this Tikka website, they list a range of calibres and It looks like all the rifles have SS varmint barrels, and they are all the same price. So when I’m ready I should be able to buy say the .223 Tikka off these people and buy a kit to convert the 6 round mag into a 10 round or would a 10 round mag clip strait in?
        Regards,
        SS.
        http://www.gunemporium.com.au/Tikka-T3-Varmint-Stainless-Rifle.html

Oh also Sharp_Shooter, do your best to ignore the unhelpful replies to your questions.

This is the internet

Comment

Seems,like a .223 and 308 is what you want.... 270 in a varmint barrel and 10 shot mag will be hard ish to find.....
        I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Easy. Just get a switch barrel rifle!

Oooh and the 270 for range work, are you sure with that decision??? Have you shot a 270??? There's a much better selection for factory ammo for a 308 as well if you don't reload....
        I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Regards.
          SS.
          Hi SS,

Tikka offer both of those calibers in a Varmint stainless and both 600mm (24") barrels, but whether they are in Australia is another question... The Tikka magazines look identical and will clip into other T3 rifles, but as has already been stated are different length actions and will not feed correctly (so not advisable to exchange). On a side note, I'm not sure rifle ranges will allow you to use magazines anyway (the one I use don't, only single shot). Good luck with your rifles.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by shooter3975" post=40088

Regards.
            SS.
            Hi SS,

Tikka offer both of those calibers in a Varmint stainless and both 600mm (24") barrels, but whether they are in Australia is another question... The Tikka magazines look identical and will clip into other T3 rifles, but as has already been stated are different length actions and will not feed correctly (so not advisable to exchange). On a side note, I'm not sure rifle ranges will allow you to use magazines anyway (the one I use don't, only single shot). Good luck with your rifles.
            i have my own shooting range... its called the back paddock! :lol:

I would suggest you have a really long think about your REAL needs.
          Do you really need 10 round mags in Bolt action, Interchangeable Mags between cals. bever a good idea too many variables.
          .223 and .308 make better choices for the first 2 CF.
          .270 is a great round, but .308 is more readily available in a wider range of rifles.
          Brands/Models in my order of preference
          RUGER Hawkeye
          SAKO
          Howa
          RUGER american
          Tikka
          SAVAGE
          [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
          [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
          [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
          [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
          [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Get your licence first and plink away with that .22. Don't rush into a centre fire.

Comment

• shooter3975
              shooter3975 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=40105
              Get your licence first and plink away with that .22. Don't rush into a centre fire.
              ... Did I miss something? Didn't read that anywhere...

• several
              several commented
              Editing a comment
              Mate, you really need to shoot a 270 before you drop your cash on one.
              It's not just recoil but the bad habits you will get from dealing with a lot of recoil your not used to such as flinching pulling and how to grip properly.
              When I say shoot one first I don't mean have 1-2 shots of someone else's, line up the guy with the rifle and buy a box or two of ammo and settle in for a full session of using it. If your still keen after 20-40 rounds and your shoulder isn't throbbing like a mongrel go buy one. Otherwise check out a 308, there is a reason the venerable 308 is so popular as it's a very capable reasonably forgiving cartridge .

• Sambar Country
              Sambar Country commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=40105
              Page 2 of Recent Topics....New Member.

Lots of good advice from some people with experience.

my 2c on the matter?

Get what you like the best. if in time you realise you don't like it anymore, put it under the experience table and move on who knows, you might even like it so much you buy another rifle in the same caliber!

Cheers,

Nuzo

Comment

Working...
            X