Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At The Range Today

Hi all,

Finally got some trigger time today at the local range. Tried a couple of new Ammos for my .223 with mixed results. The tikka seemed to like the federal 55 grains more so than the Remington's. Here is a pic of the last groupings prior to leaving but I was getting tired too. Be back out next week for sure.Yes there were a couple of fliers and the groupings aren't that flash but you have to start somewhere.. The best grouping was my second last go at middle target.

Oh and yes it was 100m

Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-08.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	51761

Originally posted by Elmer Fudd" post=39850
    Hi all,

Finally got some trigger time today at the local range. Tried a couple of new Ammos for my .223 with mixed results. The tikka seemed to like the federal 55 grains more so than the Remington's. Here is a pic of the last groupings prior to leaving but I was getting tired too. Be back out next week for sure.Yes there were a couple of fliers and the groupings aren't that flash but you have to start somewhere.. The best grouping was my second last go at middle target.

Oh and yes it was 100m

Thanks
    Mate that's still good shootin, at 100 it's still a dead critter Don't feel bad about it. As much as factory ammo is good, I am still one to prefer the home rolled ammo to get the up most out of any given rifle.
    Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks skip. A guy was helping me the other week at the range. He was telling me to load up the bipod and to fire at the bottom of my breath. Have been doing that with some success.. But sometimes I tend to grab the left bipod leg to help secure myself before squeezing the round off.. Maybe that's a problem ??

I could be wrong, but don't the Tikkas come with 2 twist rates ? If you have the 1:8 twist, you might need heavier projectiles to get the best out of it.

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=40191
      I could be wrong, but don't the Tikkas come with 2 twist rates ? If you have the 1:8 twist, you might need heavier projectiles to get the best out of it.
      Here we go again.
      Sorry dude but not everyone can shoot 1/4" groups. I am actually pleased that someone actually published "real" results. It looks like he/she is getting some real good advice here. That's not turn this into a s***fight over bullets and barrels. I am sure results will improve with some effort. Sometimes it's just come down to skill level.

Ok Having never used a bipod or even considered it what does loading it up involve? .
    I guess its putting pressure on it in some way but fire away with detailed info would be great.
    Back when ... some while back we [ couple of old work wounded ] used front Tee rests off the mounds and they worked ok but were not fixed to the rifle.
    Most rests were a simple U shaped bit of padded steel welded on top of a single peg with a flat 100x 100 base plate and some had pins into the ground say 100 mm long. Really just a crude rest some were adjustable but only vertical.
    No back bag just hold with the free hand across your arm still makes for having both elbows on the ground --is hell on your back though.
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjG1JZxiui0

My limited understanding of a loaded bipod is to lean into it, to gain shot to shot consistency by avoiding bounce on recoil.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      its putting pressure on the bipod without undue physical effort. ie; pushing forward from your core

never leave a loaded bipod unattended though. :lol:

Comment

Thanks all and now I know even though off a bench I do tend to pull shots a bit left not much but enough damit.
      Not square on enough .
      Hm bench a tad lower or seat higher / more natural lean forward shoulder pressure on the butt / better trigger control and less pull on the trigger hand and other as well yep double possibles ...... better be other wise you know who`s fault it will be .. thanks fellers.
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        People were shooting exceptionally well long before bipods came into common use, I think a bit too much emphasis is getting placed on the importance of loading bipods here and not enough on getting your fundamentals right, get that right and the bipod becomes of little concern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFH0A7Py1Q

Elmer Fudd

Any chance you can tell us more about your rig? Tikka T3? How long you have had it and rounds sent down range, what scope?

Regards

Doc

Comment

Agree with the comment above. If it's the 1:8 twist barrel I would be running 65gr or 69gr projectiles and see how that goes. I run a Atlas bipod on my Tikka with a Caldwell Medium rear bag off a bench or prone and it's good combo for me.

Comment

Working...
        X