Bore sight at home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bore sight at home.

Rather than go to the range to boresight my guns using up half a day fuel and fees i thought i would do it at home. Question is if i make up a target dot on a sheet of paper to line up the bore at say 10 yards how far below that would i make a second dot to line up the scope to put me close to a 100 yard zero. Thanks

You might be able to work that out with one of the ballistics calculators you can find online for the type of ammo youre going to use.

http://www.winchester.com/learning-center/ballistics-calculator/Pages/ballistics-calculator-silverlight.aspx
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by xbrute" post=38957
      Rather than go to the range to boresight my guns using up half a day fuel and fees i thought i would do it at home. Question is if i make up a target dot on a sheet of paper to line up the bore at say 10 yards how far below that would i make a second dot to line up the scope to put me close to a 100 yard zero. Thanks
      On my 223 I set it to the same poi at 30m, this worked for me.
      I used to bore sight, I even bought a couple of laser bore sights, I watch the process on the range quite often and it is painful. Boresights are the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Set you firearm up on a rest and look down the bore. At 50m an a3 sheet will fill the aperture even at 100m and a3 sheet will all but fill the aperture. Point your bore at the paper, line your scope on the paper and fire. You will hit the paper.

Comment

• Jester308
        Jester308 commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty much what Tim said. Bore sighting is purely to align the sight with the axis of the bore so when you finally get to the range your sighters are actually on target. A piece of A4 paper, a pot plant, anything really is an effective target for bore sighting. Laser bore sighters are notoriously inaccurate, look down the bore, align it to your target then without moving check the crosshairs, adjust accordingly.

At the end of the day if your rounds are on paper at 100,m when you initially sighting then the bore sighting has done its job.

Cheers

JJ

Edit: depending on what cal, but measure your bore height. And that should pretty much be the offset for your POA/POI offset on the paper at 10m. POA should be the top aiming mark, 'POI' will be the lower. However POA/POI will keep you out of trouble at that distance.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Only thing is i have up to 20 yards max to play with. From my front garage door to my back fence. Im trying to do it within the confines of my property. I had a quick look on istrelok and bounced some figures around and as i understand it i need 49.5 cm between the bore and the crosshairs at 10 yards.

There is a method I use basically it requires 2 shots (maybe 3 to fine tune if needed) but basically all I do is mount up the scope as per the normal procedure (line it up as best you can), put the X-hairs on the POA - fire a shot, keeping the X-hairs on the POA I then get someone to adjust the X-hairs to where the bullet hole is - Your rifle is now Zeroed and its then just a matter of fine tuning if needed.

Give it a go - it works!
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Good quality Laser shell (put it in a lathe and spin it to confirm it is collimated correctly and bore sight it on what ever distance you want........

Comment

Just go bush...shoot it at 50 or so yards and work it out from there. You should hit something. I have never done the bore sight thing.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

hi I bore sight my rifles at about 20m from my shed and line the scopes up with a corner of a building I seem to get the scope with in 50mm for windage and with in 300mm for height. if I bore sight at the range I use the side of my target at 100m

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a couple of bore sisters, the Leopold magnetic one and a LaserSite laser boresighter. Both are used in frequently and looking down the barrel works just as well in MOST cases. However the laser sight is pretty much essential for some instances such as sighting in an visible/IR laser. However I use the parallel zero method to sight lasers so its a bit different.

For what its worth...The Leopold boresighter I have found always sights the rifle in low.

One trick you can do and we have made a few of these 'sighting' targets, is to get a big sheet of that hi-vis yellow poster board from your local office works or whatever, cover it in clear packing tape and then spray it with black paint. Instant large shoot and see target. Not my idea as I found it on the web, but it does work and gives you a bigger target to 'get on paper' with.

• Vromme
              Vromme commented
              Editing a comment
              If there is anyway you can see anything off in the distance from your property use that.

I bore site from my house as soon as I put a scope on, looking out the window. Anything in the distance will do, fence post, tree branch, if your in the burbs another roof top, aerial, etc. You just need to be able to see it clear enough through bore to centre it. In fact I find it pretty accurate to bore site something 200m+ away. Last time I did this I sited in 1 shot; bore site 300m odd, then 100m shot on paper target with 25mm lines to make adjusting accurate. Noticed it was 3.3 boxes down and 1.5 to right, worked out .05mil clicks (5 clicks per box). Adjusted x clicks up and x clicks across, didnt touch adjustment after that.

.17 cals bit harder to bore site, but still not much of a problem (when I wear my glasses!)

I bought a Bushnell professional boresighter (differs from the cheaper Bushnell boresighter in that it has expandable arbors). It's paid for itself in ammo (didnt have to go to a range before a hunt on the property, just worked it out at home without a shot fired) and I know I'll use it a lot in the future. Used it on all 3 rifles with good results.

Once the rifle has been sighted in at a given range, I put the boresighter back on and take a photo with my phone. I now have the exact grid reference to go back too if I ever change scope.

For example, my .308 with a 200m zero:

So if each square is 4" at 100 yards, then the scope needs to be about 6" low at 100 yards (ie. the shot will be 6" high) to achieve a 200m zero.

Comment

Just go and shoot it.....really....bore sighting is over rated.

Comment

Like I mean to say I've been shooting .30 cals for donkeys years and never bore sighted them. Recently got a .204 took the bolt out, looked up the barrel...could barely see a thing so went and shot it at 50 yards or so and adjusted the scope from there. I've always hit paper at 50 yards. If you don't decrease the distance and/or set up a better rest....especially with a big kicker.

Comment

I've got a bore sighter sitting in the cupboard (Jap Tasco) got it as part of a firearms purchase a while back, never used it. I just do what I posted above earlier in this thread, I set up a target with a big cross in the centre, put the rifle in a rest or set up on sandbags and as long as I can see the paper through the bore it will hit the paper, I then put the X-hairs on the X I made, check again down the bore and if I can still see paper (doesn't matter if I can't see the X or not) I take the shot, whilst keeping the X-hair on the X I get someone to adjust the turrets until the X-hairs are now on the bullet hole, your rifle is now sighted in! I more shot to confirm and ya done, it works been doing it for years and the best part is if you are using a big kicking cal, ya not getting the snot kicked out of ya trying to sight a rifle in, I see people all the time trying to sight rifles in ( all ya hear is go up xyz or , accross xyz, they have a shot and repeat and repeat, wasting a heap of ammo in the process

Give that method a go next time ya sighting in a rifle, I think you'll be happy ya did and I g'tee ya won't go back to doing it the way ya used too!

People make stuff way harder and more complex than it really has to be - me I'm a Kiss man.
                  Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I bore sight all mine now, but not for what your thinking.

It is a good opportunity to check how well the scope body is aligned with the bore for best optical performance (as apposed to just plonking it on & assuming it is OK)

I do it with the scope optically centred & I adjust the mounts so it is still pretty close to centred when zeroed at the range.

This way you will never have zero holding issues, it will track well & never run out of travel in the turrets.

Bore sight by eye at 300m + & allow for some bullet drop.

Mick.

Like others I bore sight using things I can see from home. Out the front I use the flagpole on Parliament house which is visible on a clear day. If I don't feel like going outside, I setup on the kitchen table and boresight at a white gum tree 2km across the valley.

Gets me on paper @100.

A god friend uses a a target @ 50m and knows that once the is zeroed on that, he will be almost exactly on zero at 200m which is the zero range for most hunting rifles (within 2in out to 300m).

Comment

Have always done a similar way as described below in the las two posts and I get good results using a combination of the two.
                    The tree for distance [ i can use a light pole around 2 ks away for that] and the target at 50 meters is good as well.
                    The vertical pole is good for center line vertical of the cross hair settings in the mounts

If on the 50 meter target you use a black round center that matches the ring size in the same way as big bore does on the front ring only in this case the bore is the front ring you can get your scope within a couple of clicks and never need to shift it again.
                    Many big bore blokes seem to think ring size needs to show about half the aiming mark either side of the black -- that works for me as well.
                    If you know the EXACT first line of sight bullet path crossover point from a chart you can set your scope dead on for 200 yds easy as. [308 ]
                    That point used to be around 12.5 yds for a 22LR but better ammo has changed it a bit.
                    Gets you on paper though.

The very reason I use and swear by lynx post mounts with the lateral adjustment grub screws.
                    The biggest problem with them for me has been when you go to finally remove that scope the screw will likely be RUSTED in with age .
                    I never use locktite just some good grease and do them up tight

[center]
                    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• adamjp
                      adamjp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by NoFerals" post=46544
                      The very reason I use and swear by lynx post mounts with the lateral adjustment grub screws.
                      The biggest problem with them for me has been when you go to finally remove that scope the screw will likely be RUSTED in with age .
                      I never use locktite just some good grease and do them up tight
                      Those Lynx mounts were sold as the Tasco World Class mounting system, developed in Sydney by Tetra Industries who sold them originally as a product in the Hillver line. They are a fine mounting system, a little heavy, but strong and flexible.
                  Working...
                  X