What's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference?

What is the difference between rimfire and centrefire rifles???

When I get my license I would like to know so I can make an informed choice with my first purchase...

Thanks in advance...

************************************************** ************************************

MasterBlaster's, I found this vid for you.

hickok45 explains it better than I can.

Thanks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1qXl7xkK8Q

************************************************** ************************************

Comment

• Sambar Country
      Sambar Country commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Maverick" post=38527

MasterBlaster's, I found this vid for you.

hickok45 explains it better than I can.

Thanks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1qXl7xkK8Q

This guys videos rock....I love his old .30-06's and his backyard rifle range, open sights, who needs a scope when a .30-06 is going down range.

just as an example;
    rimfire = 22 or 17hmr
    centrefire = 243 or 308 etc.

Comment

Small bang versus big bang. :lol:

Comment

I knew the actual difference, maybe I should have worded the question differently...

Are rimfire's just the smaller calibre?

Comment

caliber?......no not really.
          same caliber eg 22 caliber, but centrefires have a lot bigger shell.
          example;
          a typical 22 is a 40 grain weight projectile fired from a small shell.
          a 222 can also be a 40 grain projectile, but fired from a larger shell.
          does that make sense?

Comment

Yeah, I think it does...

Does the larger shell mean greater range or higher velocity?

Comment

Both.
              Big time.
              You'll learn this more so when you do your license as well.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Apart from whats been stated already, rim fire cant be reloaded but centre fire you can!
                Rim fire= small game
                Centre fire= larger game

• Vromme
                Vromme commented
                Editing a comment
                In a nutshell:

Centrefire = charge is ignited (bullet fired) from the pin hitting the centre of the case.
                These rounds are reloadable (ie you can buy/keep the brass case and get powder, primers, bullets and put together at home).
                They are usually more expensive.
                They hold more powder therefore make a larger explosion which causes the bullets to travel faster.
                They hit with more energy. Energy simply = speed x weight (of bullet)
                The more energy the greater the recoil and more noise.

Rimfire = charge is ignited (bullet fired) from the pin hitting the edge (rim) of the case.
                Cheaper
                little to no recoil
                quieter
                Great to start shooting with. You can let off hundreds of .22lr rounds for very little cost, no recoil so wont develop a flinch and only mild noise.

Calibre
                Is the diameter of the bullet. EG a .22lr, .22 hornet, .223, 22-250 all have a .223inch diameter (or 5.56mm) bullet. They all have a different charge amount behind them (.22lr has the least) so fire the bullet off at different speeds (generally the more powder the faster). The weight of the bullet can vary (usually be increasing its length and/or material its made off). Heavier the bullet the harder it hits but the more it drops.
                The way the case is constructed (allowing gases to be released) also plays a part in how it performs.

Wiki has a decent guides:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rifle_cartridges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Here is a .223 centre fire and a .22lr rim fire.
                Attached Files

A rimfires priming compound is located internally in the cases rim and are generally a low pressure system like a .22lr and are non reloadable. A centerfire has a replaceable cup primer located in in the center of the case and is generally a higher pressure system like the .223 and .308 etc.

Comment

Working...
              X