Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson Dimension - looking at a new purchase in the new year

HI Guys,

I have been given approval from SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed), to purchase a new rifle in the new year.

I am looking at the Thompson Dimension and hoping to have it as my main rifle. I will be letting go of a few that I got to play with and don't use anymore.

The Dimension comes in many calibers, and I am looking at getting the following calibers to start with.
    223,22-250, 308

I am also curious about getting a few other calibers to play with, just for general shooting. I have heard good things about the 204 ruger, and will do some more research on it. How is the 204 Ruger caliber different or better than the 223 or 22-250 ??

A lot of my shooting will be paper punching, and I am interested in getting something that will be a good flat shooter. Hence wanting to get the 22-250, as I don't have anything in that caliber yet, and I only really want it for longer range flat shooting. Please feel free to correct me if I have the wrong idea on this.

The available calibers are
    204 Ruger
    223 Remington
    22-250
    7mm-08
    30-06
    7mm Rem Mag
    300 Win Mag

I dont do much hunting, but that may range from rabbits to deer, most of my shooting is at targets, either improvised for a few hours out bush, or formal paper targets.
    I have a mix of other rifles I use as well, but I am just interested in looking at the dimension and its possibility as my next rifle.

Can you tell me if you had a chance to get one of these and a few calibers which ones would you choose ?

I am also curious as to what scope you would choose for this, one per caliber and reasons.

Answering both of these will help me do some research on what I want and why.

If anyone has, or has shot a dimension, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached 3 articles on the Dimension obtained from the frontier arms website.

Cheers

Broomy

ThompsonCenter-Dimension-AustralianShooter.pdf

ThompsonCenter-Dimension-GunsAustralia.pdf

ThompsonCenter-Dimension-SportingShooter.pdf

Personally if I were mainly "paper punching" I could think of better rifles.
    Id be looking at a varmint style heavy barrel style rifle personally.
    Something like a .223 1"8 twist to shoot heavier projys for longer distance.
    There is nothing wrong with any of those calibres you have mentioned but I feel most of them are more for hunting rather than target!
    I love spotlighting & fox hunting with my .22-250 & realistically it has now been equalled by the .204 for less powder & recoil.
    The .270 is a fine larger game/deer calibre & its also one of my favourite hunting calibres!

For scope choice, well that's another story in matching for your need as to what distance you are shooting.

Comment

Sounds like you are going to over complicate yourself.....what caliber?....what scope? There are heaps of them. What purpose, shooting what? If only paper get a BR rifle. If hunting just about all modern rifles are accurate. Caliber just has to suit the game targeted. Keep it simple.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Guys,
        Thanks for the replies,

I am looking at having one rifle that will allow for me to experiment and get to know a few calibers. Eg 22-250 & 204 for example.

I already have a T/C Icon in 223 which is a great heavy rifle for target use, and its wood work and metal is too nice to have me want to take it out bush and harm it.

If I can find a new and better caliber for my needs, mainly target, but also a bit of hunting, then it will be easier to convince the Mrs as to why I want another rifle after I have tried it.

I got back into shooting a few years ago, and got a stack of firearms to use and try to see what I liked, and have a full safe. I will be experimenting with different calibers before then if necessary getting a new and better job specific rifle. Baby steps I think.

Cheers

Broomy

Nice!!! I like the technical aspect of T/C gear they think out the box And try and evolve their firearms for better or worse. The dimension is just plain ugly but I do love the concept. Personally .223 and .308 for target shooting as you have the two common full bore cartridges. Plus a magnum for something different. I love my .204 and .243 as well but there isn't anything I can do much better with those that I can do with my .223 and .308 (cheap to run) I would probably go .243 over 22-250 just for the 6mm bullet selection and a 55grainer coming out a .243 will do exactly what a 22-250 will do. I think you should pick what you like you can always add another barrel next year if you don't like it.

Comment

If the budget will stretch look at the Mauser M03. Same concept as the Thompson. I thought pretty hard about it years ago but the wallet won that battle and I ended up just gettign 2 Rem 700's (.223 and 30-06). It still worked out >50% cheaper than going the Mauser route!
        Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

I considered the T/C Dimension at one stage, but it's so ugly I couldn't bear to look at at it all the time.

The other factor is that unless I intended to get 3 or more calibres, it was hard to justify the cost. I could get 2 good complete rifles for similar money to the Dimension with 2 barrels. That gives you a lot more flexibility with stock designs and fit, action types, barrel weights, ability to customise, etc.

Admittedly, there will be some benefit to using the same platform for your different calibres in the familiarity you will gain with it. Great concept, and pretty good execution of the concept from what I've read.
          But heck, it's still ugly! Will you still be able to love it in the morning when you sober up?

Since you say you already have a 223 you can use for paper punching, why not spread your wings a bit if you are serious about the T/C?
          I'd probably look at the 204 over 22-250 for reasons mentioned by others.
          Then why not the 270 if you like flat shooting rifles? That will give something with enough punch for larger game, and sambar legal (if you plan to get after them).

Or maybe go the other direction into 243 and 300 Win Mag. Depends what you want to hunt with it.

Ian

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Igoe" post=40531
            I considered the T/C Dimension at one stage, but it's so ugly I couldn't bear to look at at it all the time.

The other factor is that unless I intended to get 3 or more calibres, it was hard to justify the cost. I could get 2 good complete rifles for similar money to the Dimension with 2 barrels. That gives you a lot more flexibility with stock designs and fit, action types, barrel weights, ability to customise, etc.

Admittedly, there will be some benefit to using the same platform for your different calibres in the familiarity you will gain with it. Great concept, and pretty good execution of the concept from what I've read.
            But heck, it's still ugly! Will you still be able to love it in the morning when you sober up?

Since you say you already have a 223 you can use for paper punching, why not spread your wings a bit if you are serious about the T/C?
            I'd probably look at the 204 over 22-250 for reasons mentioned by others.
            Then why not the 270 if you like flat shooting rifles? That will give something with enough punch for larger game, and sambar legal (if you plan to get after them).

Or maybe go the other direction into 243 and 300 Win Mag. Depends what you want to hunt with it.

Ian
            Hey Igoe,
            I have been looking a the Dimension for some time, and the looks have grown on me.

I have a T/C Icon in 223, and a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308, so as I think I have to many different types of ammunition, I am probably going to have at least those calibers with the Dimension.

At the moment I am spending my free time trolling google and doing searches for comparisons of the different calibers that are on offer with the Dimension. I was planning on getting the 30-06 as well as the 308, but a couple days of reading, I have decided against that as the 30-06 has been rated, even by the americans who I thought were pretty fanatical about their old 06, have pretty much come to the conclusion that you can do anything with the 308 that you can with the 30-06 and it is slightly more accurate in their long range shooting competitions overall. Not wanting to argue with those who love the 30-06 here, but I now don't feel the need to have a 30-06 barrel.

I was thinking of getting the 204 and the 22-250, and am still going to do some research about what the 22-250 gives me that the 204 and 223 does not. I will also look at the cost of the ammo and how easy it is to get. So there will be a few visits/calls to local gunshops to see what they have and how much the cost difference is between calibers as well. I really don't want to get something that I can't easily get here in Tassie.

With the 270, from the initial readings I have done, (only skimming through the titles on pages I have open on my desktop to read later, it seems that the 270 is about the same as the 308 and 30-06, so will do further investigation with that to determine if it is a better flatter shooter before deciding on if I want the 270. If I do there is a nice cheap 270 dimension on used guns at the moment, so that will work out well.

I have a mate in Canberra who has a 270, and loves it, but I know bugger all about it, the 7mm08, the 7mm Rem Mag, the 300 Win Mag personally, so hence loads of reading articles and then asking questions from those here in Aussie as to what they think. My knowledge of the 243 is probably about the same as the other calibers listed here, but I have heard it is a good pig round, I have my 30/30 Marlin 336 with a quick 7 rounds for that if required.

Its all a learning curve for me, and I am enjoying the process, what light can you share about the 270, why would you choose it, and how much of a flat shooter is it compared to other rounds like the 30-06 and 308 (as that is the class I think (of course I am open to being corrected) where the round sits.

Cheers

Broomy

On a side note, T/C are brining out some more accessories for the Dimension. Not sure of the prices, but will find out from my local dealers in the new year.

Mossy Oak Cam Stock
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimension-Mossy-Oak-Breakup-Infinity-Camo-stock-1-900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	52560

Real Tree Cam Stock
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimension-Realtree-MAX-1-Camo-stock-1-900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	52561