Noslers new 6.5mm/.264" cartridge, the 26 Nosler!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noslers new 6.5mm/.264" cartridge, the 26 Nosler!

G'Day Fella's,

As above, apparently Nosler have released a new 6.5mm cartridge that will fit in a .30-06 length action!
    I don't think it's a .6.5-06 but maybe a case with a bigger diameter than the 06???

Doh!
    Homer

130gr pill @ 3400FPS !!!!

Sounds like Nosler is also getting into the replacement barrel business to me....

JH

Comment

Comment

Comment

Jeez! Just what we need
          At a time where it it hard to get any ammo for existing Calibres they introduce a new one.
          Plus Major makers can't keep up demand for rifles let alone decide to setup for a NEW cal.
          [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
          [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
          [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
          [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
          [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Paul8x57
            Paul8x57 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=37686
            Jeez! Just what we need
            At a time where it it hard to get any ammo for existing Calibres they introduce a new one.
            Plus Major makers can't keep up demand for rifles let alone decide to setup for a NEW cal.
            As if we need another new cartridge. The number of usefully new cartridges introduced since the 1930's would be a single figure.

Never bad to see something new, but its hard to see the need. If Nosler were to introduce a heavy (say150g plus) very high BC pill and fast twist barrels for them, then I could see a bit more merit.

Nosler is uniquely placed to do this given they make projectiles and rifles.

A 260 Rem would do me.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment

It would be very interesting to see the cartridge specs. 130gn at 3400 is probably possible from a 6.5x284, but it's gonna kill the barrel. I am wondering how they are dealing with that little issue.

Comment

Righto, too many guesses here.

The new 26 Nosler appears to be loosely based on the 375 Ruger cartridge. That gives it more capacity than the 264 Win Mag, but less than the 6.5x68.

As such, a 140gn VLD at just under 3300fps is quite achievable. A 130gn VLD at just over 3300fps is also realistic.

A 6.5-284 throwing a 130gn VLD at 3400 is not possible, it is a one shot wonder with pressures so far over the limit for the cartridge case it's not funny.

Velocity is a function of capacity v bore AND pressure. The 264 is limited by a relatively low pressure rating for it's brass, the 6.5-284 has a higher pressure rating, but lacks capacity to comfortably launch a 140gn bullet over 3000fps, getting to the 3050fps accuracy node can be a problem for this cartridge. Enter the 6.5 SAUM, a cartridge designed to get the 140gn bullets going at 3100fps with lower pressures and cooler burns.

The 26 Nosler will etch out a small niche, but really it is so incredibly overbore the market activity will echo the 264 Win Mag form 1959. Initial interest, then a long slow real turnover.

Comment

Spoke to Nosler and they haven't shot a barrel out yet but are expecting something similar to the 6.5x284 Norma, 800-1200 rounds per barrel.

Comment

Working...
              X