howa 1500 243 Vs the gong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howa 1500 243 Vs the gong

took my slef to the range for a play today. had 30 highland 90Gr Sp to play with and my homemade gong. after having a go at 300m last time i decided to re-zero at 200m to make the hold over easier.

i was shooting of a folding camp table and chair both very unstable. i had to lean forward on the chair/table/rifle all at the same time but managed what i consider acceptable hunting accuracy (for someone in their first year of shooting)

the green group was at 100m the dot was my point of aim the red was at 200m, the 100m group was shot fairly fast and i didnt allow the barrel to cool fully between shots as it was getting hot and i wanted to head off. (the other shots were sighting rounds)

bit of a close up of the aftermath

edit (the black inner circle is 4". 13.5" total
    savage MKII FSS .22 boyds laminate stock leupold VX1 3-9X40
    howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
    howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
    gammo shadow 1000 .177
    akkar churchill 30" O/U 12G extractors

Originally posted by bayonet" post=36836
    took my slef to the range for a play today. had 30 highland 90Gr Sp to play with and my homemade gong. after having a go at 300m last time i decided to re-zero at 200m to make the hold over easier.
    (snip)
    i was shooting of a folding camp table and chair both very unstable. i had to lean forward on the chair/table/rifle all at the same time but managed what i consider acceptable hunting accuracy (for someone in their first year of shooting)

the green group was at 100m the dot was my point of aim the red was at 200m, the 100m group was shot fairly fast and i didnt allow the barrel to cool fully between shots as it was getting hot and i wanted to head off. (the other shots were sighting rounds)

edit (the black inner circle is 4". 13.5" total
    Nice work, have fun, develops skills, review........... do it again from further away or do it quicker from a shorter distance.. again have fun!

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work, great results. Keep it up looks like your smashing it atm.

thanks guys, saved the last 4 rounds to have a go at 100m free standing no rest. (rifle is almost 5kg) pulled the first shot and hit the "D" clip holding the gong to the chain and that was it for the day

oh well got plenty more of those for next time
    howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
    howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
    gammo shadow 1000 .177

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good!!

the steel is hardox (either 300 or 400 grade) 4 discs of 5mm laminated together with plug welds and fully welded around the outside. yeah i gave it a going over at 300m last time i was out in boddington. but was sighted in at 100 so i was holding over a bit and was making it dificult so re-sighted at 200 so i should be able to reack anything out to 300 now with minimal compensation.

love the sound of the hits, at 100 it hits HARD and FAST, god i love the .243 for the speed. the sound blast from the firing and the impact are almost one sound at 100m.
    was even able to hear the tiny .22 hitting it at 300. that was some guess work on the hold over (sighted for 25m) really shows the difference in 22lr even in the same box. some would hit where you expected others would be 1-1.5m low others 1-1.5m high. (winchester super speeds)

been here for a little while skip, just havent bothered to post much, havent been doing much shooting either hoping to get some done over the 2 week chrissy break. me and the Mrs are planning on going north after new years for a couple of days and plan on doing some door knocking in the geraldton area and see if we cant find some new properties to shoot on.
    gammo shadow 1000 .177

Comment

Nice going Bayonet, I'm wondering what that gong is made out of too, I shot one a while back Hardox 500 I think it was and the 338 Lap, 308, 222, 223 hardly left a mark on it (just a splash mark with no actual damage to it what so ever) but I then shot it with the 22.250 and it punched straight through it! It was approximately 80m away and as I said we shot all those other cals at the same distance and for some reason the 250 poked a hole in it.

I'm thinking it was a combination of Velocity/Projectile Diameter that caused the hole but not sure.

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• Vromme
        Vromme commented
        Editing a comment
        Varminator wrote: "I shot one a while back Hardox 500 I think it was and the 338 Lap, 308, 222, 223 hardly left a mark on it (just a splash mark with no actual damage to it what so ever) but I then shot it with the 22.250 and it punched straight through it! It was approximately 80m away and as I said we shot all those other cals at the same distance and for some reason the 250 poked a hole in it.

I'm thinking it was a combination of Velocity/Projectile Diameter that caused the hole but not sure."

Yep, due to it being a cal of awesomeness!

Just shows with the right pills, it has no problem going through the skull of a large boar or into the heart of a mud encrusted one. I have found porkers often drop as quickly as the ones Ive shot with .270 (130gns projs).

Those little pills travelling ridiculously high speeds can be quite devastating.
    Working...
    X