No4 mk1 magazine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No4 mk1 magazine question

Hey guys just a question about No4 mk1 magazines. How do you identify them? Do they have specific markings or are a different design from the smle's /no1's etc. I ask because I'm having feeding issues in my savage no4. Have been single feeding at the moment and have been adjusting feed lips but just can't get it to work.
    Any ideas or opinions? Thanks

I belive the rib on the rear of the mag is different
    from memory the no1 mag has a rib the full length while the no4 mag is shorter
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by fishphillott" post=36744
      Pretty much Fish. I will take a comparison pic. Gimme 10 mins......

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by fishphillott" post=36744
      Yep, I believe that this could cause your issue (if in fact you are indeed using a No1 magazine in a No4 action, then the mag mightn't seating itself all the way in and thus the bolt may be skimming over the top round in the mag). I know that when I haven't slapped the mag on my No4 all the way home after having removed it then the bolt won't strip rounds from it.

The 2 on the left are off No4, the one on the right is off a No1Mk3:

The 2 on the left are off No4, the one on the right is off a No1Mk3:

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      slightly off topic there were 4 variants of the no 1 mag I think and only the 1 for the no4

but I'm sure techsupport or demo or someone more knowledgeable then me will correct me and put you on the right track

The SMLE mags and the no.4 mags are not supposed to interchange- but as you found- they are pretty close, and if the manufacturing tollerance gods all align and decide to be happy it has been known for the "wrong" magazine to work.

The SMLE mags had a few variations- mainly due to different types of projectile profile, and the use of magazine cut-offs.
    .303 calibre no.4 mags were all of the same pattern [as far as I know]
    7.62mm no.4 rifles had a different shape mag possibly a couple of slightly different patterns as they were produced by both Enfield and Stirling.
    The action and frame were relieved a touch for the mag to fit in the Enfield conversion- Stirling might be slightly different as I understand they were a "drop in" conversion- so might not have needed any machining [need to confirm].
    Indian 7.62mm SMLE rifles had thier own home grown mag. with a much flatter base than the .303 no.1 mk3 SMLE

There are also aftermarket .303 magazines around too- Promag? but I have never handled one to see what they are like.

stephen
    all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info I'm a quazy expert now! Have seen the pro mag but it just won't look right I reckon.
Working...
X