Show us your Tactical Rifle/What to get !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your Tactical Rifle/What to get !

Thought i would start a thread on Tactical rifles for people who shoot in tactical comps and can share some info on what rifles/scopes to use in these comps.
    Sako TRG, Accuracy International,DTA's and custom rifles ect...
    What scope/rifle/round do you use ?
    Let see em and hear about what you think of them.

Myself i have been slowly collecting stuff 2 years on i have a NightForce F-1 scope and a Sphur mount(thanks SA12)
    I am leaning towards a Sako TRG or Custom...

Cheers

High end (cost wise) factory rifles like AI's, TRG's etc probably aren't really necessary but in the case of my AW308 I'm sure that it can handle any situation on a rifle range or in the field that I could throw at it. Important items in my mind for tactical comps are an accurate but not necessarily 'target' accurate rifle - 3/4-1/2 MOA is more than enough and 1 MOA will keep you out of trouble most of the time. Preferably a 10 round magazine but 5 would be ok...lots of magazines is handy and ammunition that feeds flawlessly is essential. Optics with matched reticles and turrets ie Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA- I have a March FFP Mil/Mil but any number of scopes from Sightron, Vortex, Bushnell and up would be suitable. Also on optics, big magnification isn't necessary. I forked out for a 5-40 March as I also shoot F Class with my rifle and sometimes more magnification is great but I don't think I adjusted up from about x15 last comp in Canberra...field of view beats magnification with randomly placed snap exposures and moving targets. Sling points are definitely needed for prone unsupported stages. A muzzle brake is nice for staying on target to see fall of shot but in my opinion don't get a radial discharge brake...get a side discharge as they don't kick up dirt. More important than any equipment is knowing your rifle, practice, having an accurate range card and more practice using sling, shooting sticks, Hawkins position, fast magazine changes. I entered my first Canberra tactical shoot 3 events ago and got slaughtered and not for lack of shooting ability or capable rifle. The pace is fast. You need to be know the course of fire, move to the next stage and be set up quickly ie you need to stay ahead of things. It's nothing like F Class or group shooting off a bench at Silverdale so forget carrying heaps of target shooting gear. Only carry what you need to get the job done.
    So I have an AW308 which is fine back to 800m and even 1000yd at a pinch and a 300 Win Mag which should get me back to about 1400m but any number of chamberings are ballistically superior with less recoil and better barrel life.
    Attached Files

Comment

As Bully has mentioned, tactical comps are fast paced - I liken it to an IPSC stage with the difference being the the comp stages are published well in advance.

Also, you're allowed to shoot with different rifles for different distances - personally I think this totally destroys the notion of a tactical comp centered around tactical rifles. A tactical rifle is supposed to be a precision instrument capable of taking on as many roles as the user requires of it, multiple rifles for multiple roles isn't kosher in my opinion.

That aside, my personal "tactical" rifle if you will is a Tikka T3 Varmint, barrel chopped, braked and in a Manners T6.

YMMV.
      Sometimes life gives you lambda points. Just chill, once the bubbling stops s'all good mate.

Brotha's got spinners!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        The Tikka is just a fantastic basis for about any rifle you may want. Owning one the Tikka folks have figured a lot of stuff out. If you want a rifle and can't afford a a Sako or Steyr, get a Tikka.

That about sums it up right there. I'd like to add that if you can't afford or cant justify to yourself spending 10,000 plus on your setup, a half decent varmint rifle with a bipod, medium magnification scope and a couple of socks full of sand for rear bags will get you started.

My current rigs are as follows;
      Remington 700 in 308, HSP stock, Harris bipod, Lumbley Arms DBM & AI 5 shot mag, 5-22 Nightforce in Badger rings & nightforce 20 moa base. Also has a fancy sling but I can't remember the brand. Maybe TAB gear. This is my all rounder and is used for the closer and medium stages
      (it's the black one on the show us your rem700s thread)

Remington 700 in 300 Win mag, manners T4 stock, Maddco 30 inch barrel, Sako TRG brake, Nightforce 20moa rail, Leupold rings and a Sightron S3 in 8 to 32 power, and Harris Bipod. This is my longer range rifle for when the timings are slower and the shots longer than 600m. It doesn't have a DBM and is way too heavy to shoot in a position other than prone off a bipod and bags.

I love both these rifles cause they are more accurate than I am capable of and occasionally make me look like a better shooter than I really am.

Your Nighforce is a good start.I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting whatever goes under it because looking through a quality optic like a Nightforce etc is a pleasure. BTW TRGs are excellent.

Comment

Tikka Varmint would be my first choice in starting out, however if you want to venture into the custom world, then I would recommend

Remington 700 Type Action (Surgeon, AICS etc)
        Accuracy International Chassis
        Nightforce or March Scope
        6.5x47 Lapua - Medium to Heavy Profile
        308 Win - Medium to Heavy Profile

Being that these combinations have won more of the following type of competitions....
        http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/act/2499-act-long-range-tactical-rifle-competition

....then any other rifle, calibre, scope, stock combination...etc

Photos of the collection to come... :-P

Ross308

Comment

and this is my 300 Win Mag...as it was. Stiller TAC300 and McMillan A4 stock. Tight neck chamber, no detachable magazine although I could have changed that. It's been re birthed in an AICS and is ear marked for a rebarrel with a standard chamber, slightly lighter barrel with a muzzle brake and INCREASED trigger weight. I originally tackled the idea of a 'tactical rifle'from a target shooters perspective where tight and heavy and light triggers is good. For tactical comps it isn't or at least my combination of tight heavy and light wasn't. Tight chamber no good. Heavy barrel is a bit unwieldy and light trigger at 500g too light in my opinion. Also the chamber was set up with a long throat so if I seat the bullets out I can't mag feed. Lesson learnt. I will bring it out for a play in its current configuration at Canberra in December for the longs before it goes in for the surgery. The exciting part is shooting 210gr Bergers at 3015fps...I love the bang.

Michael
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's mine in it's current guise.
            -Howa action
            -Trigger job and bolt knob
            -MAB (I think) barrel, 22.5" 1:8 twist chambered in 6BR
            -Manners T1 stock, pillar bedded
            -CDI bottom metal
            -Modified AI 223 magazines
            -Warne 20 MOA rail
            -Leupold QR rings
            -Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP scope
            -Harris bipod
            I use Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primers, 30 or so grains of 2208 powder and 105 Berger hunting VLD's a couple of thou off the lands. (after getting one stuck a while back). It's not high powered but has great ballistics for what it is, 2850FPS or so and 8 mils elevation @ 900m from a 100m zero.

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

Cheers guys ,a lot of good info coming out here.
              Its all new to me, and was just curious as to what people run in these type of comps.
              Big eye opener to a punter as my self.
              Some sexy rifles on show here to
              Might go a Tikka or Howa at first.
              I really dont have $4k to drop on a rifle

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Shootability is key here and knowing your rifle, while it sounds a cliche, is so very important. The comments above cover most of the key points and we can drill down further on what individual rifle parts work and why.

Weight is now the biggest challenge we face in tactical rifle. An 18lb rifle is great off the bipod but horrid off the shoulder after a while. I think the next obstacle we have to get over is how to drop 5lbs off the total. For example, an AICS plus Rem 700 action plus Nightforce or March comes in at about 10lbs - then you have to get a barrel and bipod etc.

I'm getting more and more interested in how short a barrel we can get away with and still get the competitive accuracy we need for this type of shooting. The US experience suggests a 20 inch barrel should cover a lot of contingencies and a lot of experimental work has occurred with fast twist short barrels out to 1000 yards and beyond. We have yet to really try this seriously in Australia.

Next year I am looking to try a 20 inch long 6.5 x 47 barrel with muzzle brake to see how this works out in competition.

If you are chasing a factory rifle don't forget about aprs rifles, damn nice bit of kit.... I think I'll go down the aprs path if I am not allowed to import a black diamond custom rifle from the states....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-11-22-2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	46169

Oooh just saw your post about the nothing over 4k part.... Maybe look towards a rem700 of tikka t3 with a few custom options.... Can't really go wrong with either....
              I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Super6one" post=33523
                If you are chasing a factory rifle don't forget about aprs rifles, damn nice bit of kit.... I think I'll go down the aprs path if I am not allowed to import a black diamond custom rifle from the states....

Oooh just saw your post about the nothing over 4k part.... Maybe look towards a rem700 of tikka t3 with a few custom options.... Can't really go wrong with either....

So when did an APRS rifle become factory
                Attached Files

For a factory rifle I'd go a Tikka because of the calibers available in the varmint barrels and suitable twist rates for the heavy slippery bullets. 6.5mm is probably king of this type of shooting. A Tikka Varmint in 260 Rem comes with a 1/8 twist barrel which is perfect. Add a scope rail and you're off and shooting.

There are a few DBM systems around now to take the AICS magazines, Lumley arms make a really nice one. Manners make some really nice stocks and there's a Russian company making some lovely carbon fibre ones (photos below). I'm also doing those chassis stocks for them now which are great for this type of shooting.

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                G'Day Fella's,

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Tac Rifle but....

Name:	007_2013-11-22.JPG
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	46186
                Rem 700 Stainless, .223Rem 24" factory barrel (Cerakoted)
                ??? (I'll think of it...) set trigger
                Stone-Free Int'l "Silent Partner" Super-Sonic "Can"
                High Tech Specialties F/glass (etc) stock (Cerakoted)
                EGW Pic Rail, Warne 30mm Rings
                Swarovski 10x fixed power scope
                Lumley Arms DBM & AI 10 shot mags to suit
                All post factory G/smith work and Cerakoting done by me
                Shoots 10mm, 5 shot groups all day long

Greg T, it looks like I was one bench along from you (on another day)!

Doh!
                Homer

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Gregt" post=33530
                For a factory rifle I'd go a Tikka because of the calibers available in the varmint barrels and suitable twist rates for the heavy slippery bullets. 6.5mm is probably king of this type of shooting. A Tikka Varmint in 260 Rem comes with a 1/8 twist barrel which is perfect. Add a scope rail and you're off and shooting.
                Hey Gregt i have a Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless in 308W(to much muzzle rise on it when shot), and have been thinking of re barrel it to a 260Rem.
                I am under the impression because its a short action i can not go for a 6.5 upgrade on it.

What stock options and mag/bottom plate do i have for a rifle such as that?
                OR would i just be better off getting a Tikka and going down that path?

Not to many stock options for a Sako 85 i have noticed?

@ Snag im thinking a NF BEAST for that boom stick
                Some nice rifle pics up here ,keep em coming !

Cheers

I know the barrel is a bit short, but I can't hit shit anyway.

What scope should I get?

Name:	flintblock.jpg
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	46208

Comment

Here's mine:

Name:	image_2013-11-22-2.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	46214

Tikka t3 varmint stainless .308
                Whiskey 3 chassis gen 4
                Nightforce NXS

A lot of guys in the US use the whiskey 3 chassis in tactical matches!
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanx Gregt i remember that thread on the old website about the Sako build you did for Mark.

Might go down the Tikka Super varmint path in 6.5x55,new stock and AI mags or would consider something else?
                  Dont think i have the skill to be dropping $5k on a rifle ,i go ok out to 400 meters then i am a bit hit and miss
                  Thats why i started this thread to see what others are running and try to learn as much as i can before dropping some coin.

Cheers

Comment

• M77
                    M77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Red Quoll" post=33724
                    Thanx Gregt i remember that thread on the old website about the Sako build you did for Mark.

Might go down the Tikka Super varmint path in 6.5x55,new stock and AI mags or would consider something else?
                    Dont think i have the skill to be dropping $5k on a rifle ,i go ok out to 400 meters then i am a bit hit and miss
                    Thats why i started this thread to see what others are running and try to learn as much as i can before dropping some coin.

Cheers

If your going down the Tikka Path then i suggest a T3 Varmint Not Super Varmint because then your paying for the Pic Rail , adjustable cheek piece , extra sling studs .
                    i currently have a T3 Super Varmint in 300wm that i will be dropping into a Manners T5a stock or AI style stock .

Name:	P1010516_2013-11-23.JPG
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	46397

Tikka T3 Varmint in 7mm-08
                  Roedale RCS11 Stock
                  Sightron SIII 6-24x50
                  Sterk Bolt Handle
                  Sterk Atlas Spigot Mount Shelf
                  Lumley Bolt Shroud
                  Alpha Type 2 Mag
                  Seekins Rings
                  Holland Bubble Level
                  EGW HD 20MOA Rail
                  Atlas Bipod

I use Lapua 260 Rem Brass neck expanded up to 7mm.
                  Using Berger 168gr Classic Hunters and Reloder 17. 2800fps and shoots .5" and better consistently if I do my part.

Comment

Not to get into a pissing comp re chamberings, but if you are looking at a tactical rifle for Canberra I think 338 LM is as big as you can go and wouldn't be ideal in most of the courses of fire I've seen so far. In fact I wouldn't shoot my 300 Win Mag most of the time as it would be a good way to burn a barrel out really fast. If you plan on shooting targets at extreme long range and you have the facilities to do it then go as big as you can or like as the ballistics of the heavy 338 pills and the 375 etc are undeniable. What ever you end up with, you need to be comfortable shooting it for about 90 rounds because while multiple rifle may be allowed it wouldn't be ideal carrying them around.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                    X