Howa 1500 Box Mag & Bottom Metal Conversion: yes/no? where from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howa 1500 Box Mag & Bottom Metal Conversion: yes/no? where from?

Hello Howa owners and lovers.

Who among you has gone down this road of replacing the bottom metal to accommodate a drop out mag?
    What are your thoughts since doing it?
    Anyone know somewhere you can order a kit online for a .223?

I'm thinking of getting a 5 round mag kit and some spare mags; maybe 2 x 10 round & 2 x 5 round for different applications. I really find top loading a pain in the bot-bot. They seem to be cheap from the States but haven't found a place to order from yet.

Cheers for any advice or suggestions.
    Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

CDI DBM $255 + $90 each mag???????? Not a cheap Howa Anymore!
    Tikka T3X 6XC
    Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
    Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
    Remington 788 - 222rem
    Browning Trombone .22

Comment

I bought the plastic drop mag kit earlier this year with 10 and 5 round mags.Love it!
      We shoot off the back of utes at night mainly and was surprised how the conversion kit doesn't get in the way.My howa is a 243 mountaineer with Hogue stock which I bought in the 80s.Will buy another 5 round mag one day.

Comment

I also have the factory plastic mag kit.
        You can usually get the bottom plastic and one mag for about $150 then get the mags seperately.
        For 223 the 10 shot is the same size as the 5 shot and doesnt stick out much. The 5 is single stack, the 10 is staggered.
        They insert and remove nicely, the release lever is small but in the perfect spot and are easy to load.
        The other advantage is they dont need any modification to the stock, just take out the metal floorplate assembly and replace it.

Comment

• several
          several commented
          Editing a comment
          I went the other way, started with a 10 round DBM and converted to a box mag. I prefer the sleeker box mag look.

haven't done it coz i think the mag sticking out so much will be annoying and get in the way when shooting out the car window.
        anyone experience that problem?

Comment

What are you using the rifle predominately for? Personally I think they are a waste of time and money for general hunting type situations, same with range use, I can't say I've ever felt the need to convert any of my Howa's to that type of mag system. Every CF I own is an internal mag job, only drop out mags I own are on the 22's.
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Varminator" post=33341
            What are you using the rifle predominately for? Personally I think they are a waste of time and money for general hunting type situations, same with range use, I can't say I've ever felt the need to convert any of my Howa's to that type of mag system. Every CF I own is an internal mag job, only drop out mags I own are on the 22's.
            It's predominantly used for pest control. I find two issues with the top load internal mag:
            1/ I find it fiddly and time consuming loading and unloading because i drive from spot to spot and empty/reload the rifle when i get in and out of the car.
            2/ If there are more pests in range than shots in the mag, by the time i reload they have buggered off. With a drop out mag i could have two mags loaded and have more chance to efficiently conduct the pest control.

Cheers
            Gwion

Yeah I have a Howa 308 with the 10 shot plastic kit, I have had it on since new, works well with what I shoot. I do alot of stalking and bike riding chasing pigs. 10 shots is handy when your chasing mobs of 20 or more and want to hammer as many as you can. When walking I have slipped my hand on the release button to drop out the mag but was aware that I did it, thats its only issue I have. It cost me like $175 fitted at my LGS on a new Howa.
          Got it, Load it, shoot it..

Comment

The factory mag kits (Legacy sports) from Howa are cheap and feel cheap. That's not to say they dont work, far from it. I have a gigantic 10-round DBM for my .308 which feeds flawlessly (as long as rounds are <=71mm).

It might only be a small difference, but the rifle sheds a bit of weight too. Its very noticeable when walking around.

Because you can switch back and forth without any hassle, I keep the DBM kit on most of the time for range use or for plinking in the paddock, but tend to screw the internal mag back in when hunting from the ute.

Fine when shooting off-hand or off a bipod, but when leaning on a vehicle, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Comment

I've got the Legacy Sports DBM kit on my Howa and it's great. Mine's a .308 so it does stick out a lot but I don't mind it at all.
              The DBM kit is strong polymer, which makes it a fair bit lighter than the original metal, and requires no modification to the rifle at all - just unscrew the original trigger guard and put the new one in. If I ever get a Howa in .223 I'll definitely get the same kit for it; as you said, having a couple of loaded mags handy is a lot quicker and easier than feeding each round in from the top.

The Trigger guard is about $70 - $80 and the mags are about $75 ish depending on where you shop.
              Shooters.com.au sells them decently priced.
              We use 43 muscles to frown,
              17 to smile,
              and 2 to pull a trigger.
              I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Comment

Have also used it out the drivers window of the ute and was surprised at how it did not get in the way with the 10 shot mag

Comment

I received my 10 shot legacy sports dBm for 223 yesterday from Centreway Firearms for 175 posted.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0611.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	46173
                  It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I picked up a conversion kit and three spare mags for around $400 from my LGS, they're pretty easy to come by and they cycle beautifully, IMHO it's one of the best bang for buck upgrades you can put on a Howa 1500.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MartysHowa.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	56442

I have the legacy dbm kit fitted to both my howas.
                  .223 1x 10 rnd mag
                  .308 2x 10 rnd mag.

my only issue is i need to get access to a property to actually use them properly. Lol. My local ssaa is single fire only.
                  .177 Chinese Air Rifle, Marlin XT22, Savage Mk2
                  Howa Varmint (223 1:9) (223 1:12) (308 1:10), Howa Sporter (308 1:10), 1912 BSA SMLE (303), Winchester 370 12 Ga

22lr Mk2 Ruger 22/45, 22lr Mk3 Ruger 22/45 Lite
                  9mm STI Spartan, 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P, 357 Magnum Ruger Security six

Comment

• jasmay
                    jasmay commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wild dog do a nice metal rig fit howas, around 200 and comes with a mag pretty sure....

Just bought one of those plastic jobs from my LGS and am reasonably happy with it. Only problem is I have to give it a fair whack at the base of the mag to get it to seat and lock. Anyone else had this problem and what did you do to resolve it?

Comment

• Carmsbody
                    Carmsbody commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Youngun" post=45529
                    Just bought one of those plastic jobs from my LGS and am reasonably happy with it. Only problem is I have to give it a fair whack at the base of the mag to get it to seat and lock. Anyone else had this problem and what did you do to resolve it?
                    have a read of the leafelet available on the legacy website. It requires a specific pillar depth to operate. You may need to shim the floor plate down a little.

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Youngun" post=45529
                    Are you trying to insert the mag with a closed bolt? You'll get some resistance from the bolt and that may be why you're having dramas. You can fix it by opening the bolt first or only loading 9rounds into the mag. I find that helps quite a bit.

I got a little Inox and wiped it around the inside of the magwell, and the smooth section of the mag that inserts, slicked it up a treat.
                  Only had to do it once, after a bit of use it freed up by itself anyway, just needed a little help to get it started.

Comment

I have no issues with fitting a full 10rnd mag with the bolt closed.
                    .177 Chinese Air Rifle, Marlin XT22, Savage Mk2
                    Howa Varmint (223 1:9) (223 1:12) (308 1:10), Howa Sporter (308 1:10), 1912 BSA SMLE (303), Winchester 370 12 Ga

22lr Mk2 Ruger 22/45, 22lr Mk3 Ruger 22/45 Lite
                    9mm STI Spartan, 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P, 357 Magnum Ruger Security six

Comment

Working...
                    X