Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tikka tactical?

hi tikka lovers,
    just asking,.....what's the main difference between the tikka varmint, and tikka tactical?
    there seems to be about $600+ ish extra for the tac.
    i'm in the mood for another 308 & just wondered what the extra money got ya.

tikka varmint - heavy barrel, cheek piece, forend

tikka tactical - threaded heavy barrel, adjustable cheek piece, piccatinni rail, extra sling swivels

i think thats it, i'll link the specs on the tikka site

steve

Comment

different metal coating and a threaded barrel. also adjustable cheek piece.

i owned a T3 tactical and it was a fantastic and very accurate rifle but i would buy the varmint and get it threaded in a more useful pitch/ diameter.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        pretty sure the tactical has a different barrel profile in addition to what the boys said- it diameter gets slightly bigger towards the muzzle (cant seem to find they made it like that though)

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by S12A" post=31737

i owned a T3 tactical and it was a fantastic and very accurate rifle but i would buy the varmint and get it threaded in a more useful pitch/ diameter.
        What do you mean by "more useful pitch/diameter?"

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by S12A" post=31737

Then the money saved could go to a better aftermarket stock!

thanks guys.
      obviously not much difference in them.
      'if' I get one it'll probably be a varmint.

Comment

• Nexus
        Nexus commented
        Editing a comment
        If you look on the Tikka website you'll find this

"The free-floating barrel is made of match-grade Cr-Mo steel, and manufactured by a precision cold-hammer forging process by Sako craftsmen."
        "The action and the barrel surfaces are Manganese-phosphatized"
        "The Teflon coating on the bolt ensures a non-reflecting surface and a smooth bolt throw"

You can debate whether or not that stuff is worth the extra $ over the varmint, but its not just a different stock.

What you save by buying a varmint you can spend on the single set trigger

Steve

Comment

• Shini
        Shini commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure if it holds water but I'm under the impression that the Tactical like the Sporter has tighter chamber specs and a different match barrel to the rest of the Tikka range.

Yeah, the sporter and the tac share the same barrel.

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
        SmoothOperator_87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where is is stated though? I've heard the match chamber rumour many times.

no new 308 Tikka Tacticals or Varmints available until Feb 2014. You'd be lucky to find one on the shelf somewhere, I've just been looking myself.

Comment

thanks skip.
        thought you had one but wasn't sure.
        think i might go over to the dark side (tikka ) and enquire about the varmint this week.

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
          SmoothOperator_87 commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Send-it" post=31932
          thanks skip.
          think i might go over to the dark side (tikka ) and enquire about the varmint this week.
          Your mind us on the right path

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Send-it" post=31932
          thanks skip.
          :lol: :lol: :lol: Yer i have had mine for about 7 years now.

A old Pic, it sport's a vortex pst 16x50 moa moa

and buy another howa. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the feedback guys.
        i have enough info now.

Comment

hey skip,
          btw, which bit did you fill with weight?
          fore end or butt end?
          if i get one i'll probably do similar, to dull the recoil a bit.
          coz i'm tempted to get a 300wm so i can giggle when i pull da trigger when i red-mist pigs.

Comment

• El-Skippo
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            I added the plaster, too the butt and the pistol grip 850 gram's it added to the weight of the rifle.

The main reason for me doing it. Was the Tikka's are all front heavy, if you have the Tupperware stock. I got sick of fighting the stock. Now she is nicely balanced so no need to fight it. The slight reduction in recoil is a bonus.

actually i think all the 20" barrels are threaded at the muzzle, probably for moderators in NZ but for brakes only in Oz (unless you're employed in pest control and have the appropriate licences for a moderator)

steve

Comment

I personally got the varmint, the money I saved on the rifle was spent on the Zeiss Terra glass.

Comment

Working...
            X