Lefty tactical rifle cause I'm sick of shooting righty rifles left handed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty tactical rifle cause I'm sick of shooting righty rifles left handed.

Thinking of a build to shoot the canberra tactical/long range matches & interested in some feedback from you all. Having shot the match 3 or 4 times now I have a fair idea what is needed but it never hurts to bounce the ideas around with other shooters. So, here it is,

action: Remington 700 SPS Varmint (left handed) Thats if one comes in the next shipment

stock: might be stuck with the shitty SPS till I can get GregT to build me a AICS clone in lefty

mounts: Nightforce 20moa base I already have

rings; depends on the scope

scope: Bushnell 3.5 to 20 tactical in mills and first focal plane (these look the goods but I've not had a play with one yet) reticle anything but that crazy Horus h59

Bipod: the trusty Harris I already have.

Calibre: 308 or 243 depending whats available. leaning toward the 243 as I have a 300 win mag for the real long range stuff
    barrel: the factory varmint barrel to start but thinking of cutting to 22 inch and recrowning for the weight saving and easier use in unsupported positions.

Any comments are welcome, especially hoping for some feedback from the other guys who shoot this match.

mods can you please move this to the bolt action section.

THank you.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=31386
      mods can you please move this to the bolt action section.

THank you.
      Done.

Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=31385
    stock: might be stuck with the shitty SPS till I can get GregT to build me a AICS clone in lefty

This got my attention, I am in a similar situation (Being a lefty), wanting to do a build myself, using a Barnard S (Remington footprint) who is GregT whats his work like and how much??
    My only thoughts re. your build would be projectile variety .243 vs. .308.

Comment

• Movealongnothingtoseehere
      Movealongnothingtoseehere commented
      Editing a comment
      The calibre choice is restricted cause Remington only really do a few leftys and the sps varmint lefty is 17 Remington, 223 243 & 308 only from memory. Once it's all together and I've shot out the factory barrel I'll do an exotic cal like 260 or 6x 47 lap.

I already have a good load for my current 308 (right handed one) but there are heaps of good high BC 243/6mm? projectiles to choose. I will be handloading for it regardless of 308/243 choice. 243 shoots flatter to about 500 or 600m right? cause beyond 600m I'll be using my 300 win mag.

Gregt is a guy from Canberra who does stocks & shoots in the tactical match. I think you can see his work in the gunsmiths section of this forum. He was on the old forum as GregT so I assume he's the same on here. I think about 900 bucks for an AICS type stock and I'm sure he does Tikka and savage actions too unlike a genuine AICS which is Remington only.

What's wrong with a left hand action? I'm right hand dominant with everything else except shooting. Don't get a righty rifle...get a leftie.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

I've got the same problem, shooting a RH rifle left handed is great off a bench but rapid fire is a pain in the ass.

I'm doing a lefty Remington footprint chassis at the moment to test everything out. I had a LH Stiller Tac 30 AW action arrive from Seddo last week so I need something to put it in. I'll hopefully get there for that match in December. I've got a snake handling course to teach that weekend but we're pretty short on snakes so if we don't get enough I've got the weekend off.
      Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

Fair enough. I'll stop trying to annihilate your finances with the AX. I would suggest a semi-custom Rem clone action although I appreciate that if you buy factory you get a barrel and trigger as well. My choice would be a Stiller TAC30 AW as it allows you to use the AI double stack AW magazines.
        Not sure what twist rate a Rem factory 243 comes with but if it isn't 1:8" I'd go for the 308. Other than that you've got it sorted I think.

Comment

• Movealongnothingtoseehere
          Movealongnothingtoseehere commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Michael. The 243 twist is 1 in 9 and 1/8. It will probably depend on what Raytrade get in their next shipment.

1:8 would be the go in 6mm for the heavier bullets. My 6BR is a 1:8 barrel, I used the 108 Bergers for quite a while but changed to the 105 hunting VLD's, they're a bit more slippery and could serve a dual purpose without fiddling around with different loads.

Comment

• jhonvdp
          jhonvdp commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not a 'build' as such but it's Lefty and sortof tactical?
          Tikka Varmint 308 SS in Manners T4 stock. Shoots well too. Remington SPS Varmint LH models looked rough in comparison to the Tikka when I was buying. You can get Stiller actions in LH for decent prices though.

Unless someone offers me a full house all the little jobs done rifle for cheap, I'll be getting the only Remington 700 SPS varmint 308 currently in stock anywhere Thanks to Tim from HPGS aka Noobshooter (sold me my last 2 rifles now). Thanks mate.

Was out at the range today & my current 308 which was originally a SPS Varmint (righty) put 3 round through one hole so hoping the new one does this too!

Comment

Saw that stock and emailed the guy but missed it by half hour. Oh well. Something else will come along.

Comment

Haha. I'm not sure that will work twice in a row. The 300 win mag was going to be a 338 Lap mag but the budget for that got cut when I got back together with my dragon. Might be a case of "What new rifle? Nah this is an old one. You just haven't seen it for a while cause I haven't been using it."

Comment

• Gregt
              Gregt commented
              Editing a comment
              Here's the solution

I thought that left handed nonsense was beaten out of kids in primary school

Comment

Unfortunately they seemed to stop doing the left handed exorcisms before I got to school so I was never rectified. Then they made Howa's only right handed just to taunt me.

Comment

Greg,
                Put me down for 1x left handed stock with Remington footprint please. This project is moving along nicely

Picked up the scope today. First time I handled the new Bushnell tactical scopes. First impressions are Wow! heavy as a Nightforce, maybe even heavier, Big turrets, love the first focal plane reticle and really clear glass Pics to come.

Comment

• Bully_eye
                  Bully_eye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The GTCS- as opposed to AICS- is looking great. About time some more love was shown to the south paws among us and especially with an AI look. The left hand McMillan stock for sale on usedguns.com.au was mine. I have a fetish for all things AI and happened to pick up a used, fixed stock, left handed, long action AICS when I was over in the UK a few months ago. The McMillan had to go to fund the new purchase but I will miss it- another beautiful stock. The Stiller TAC300 will make its Canberra debut in December for the longs.

Regards,
                  Michael

1x GTCS in left hand for me please Santa

:P

Comment

• Gregt
                  Gregt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=32085
                  1x GTCS in left hand for me please Santa

:P
                  Second from the right

Im not drunk enough to say this, but.....

I love you man!

Comment

• Gregt
                  Gregt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Getting closer..

Working...
              X