Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm-08 wrap

Hi all,
    Ive been interested in this 7mm 08 for quite a while and i would like to ask for some help in making my decision.....

Im looking for a looking for a light compact scrub gun for the high country too take out on the deer........can anyone help me with there own experiences with this calibre and there success stories on the deer or other types of big game animals also the type of rounds being used

PLEASE guys dont turn this into a debate on what calibre is right for deer i know 308 and 30-06 are good calibre's ....i have a 300 win mag but its just too long and heavy to cart around and im really interested in the 7mm 08 and just wandering peoples views that have dealt with this gun

Cheers

Light compact scrub gun. Before the replies start could you put some more detail here, do you want a carbine? Lever action? Pump action, action preference? How 'light' do you want to go?

Otherwise I don't own a 7mm-08 but I know a few that do and there is one that I see on hunts fairly regularly and I'll just say it seems to be one of the truly great choices for a light scrub deer hunting gun, just ask the New Zealanders...

Andy

Comment

a friend of mine has one.
      it drops pigs, goats etc as good as anything else built on a medium sized action.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Andy.

My preference would be a bolt action and i have been looking at the Tikka T3 which is light and compact and does seem like a nice compact scrub gun taht gonna be easy to cart around

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one with a 20inch barrel - I dont get to go hunting all that often due to work (only around 10 days a year) - furthest shot taken is only a little over 300m on a goat but just going off the MV, it generates enough velocity for expansion with a berger vld hunting bullet at 700m (and nearly 1000m with a 162 amax)

in terms of energy it still retains around 1000ft-lbs at 800m... hope this helps (sorry I dont have any practical experience on game past 300) - I've shot it out to 1050m though

i agree swiftking that a T3 lite sounds like it would fit the bill for you, they are quite a bit lighter than the equivalent howa or savage (a T3 lite with a 20" barrel weighs only 6lbs) and the synthetic stock has superior stiffness

as for the 7-08 unless you're stretching the range out beyond 500m there's no reason in my opinion to to go above the 140-150gr range of bullets. a 140gr flat base softpoint bullet like the remmington core-lokt is suited to shooting pigs and deer out to a couple of hundred meters from my research (i've used mine mainly for target shooting) and i've had a 130gr speer sp go in the front of a pig and come out the back on the other side. The 162gr Amax is an accurate bullet at longer ranges but i'm yet to hunt with them

steve

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Gday Steve............. Primarily Swifty would be targeting Sambar deer with the 7mm-08. I agree looking for a bullet in the 150gr range with a high SC would be more appropriate than a bullet with a higher BC but a low SC.....

I suppose the million dollar question is, will the 7mm-08 be adequate for a mature stag weighing in over 250kg's??

Sorry to hijack mate!!!!

• MrCarbine
        MrCarbine commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a great caliber you’ve selected.
        Back in the 90s I only had one “deer rifle” for a while and it was chambered for the 7x57mm Mauser. I shot everything - deer, pigs, goats and even donkeys with it. The bullet I used the most was 139gr Hornady SP but did also use Hornady 120gr SP, 162gr BTSP, Nosler 140gr BT, Speer 145 BTSP and 145gr Grand Slam. My longest shot was at a Fallow Deer at 290 long paces. The 145 Grand Slam went clean through and it took two steps before it went over. Soon after I sold that rifle I started to regret it. I looked for a 7mm-08 but I found a Weatherby MkV I could not resist, so now I have a 280 Remington.
        Go for it, don't think twice!!

I have used a 7mm-08 for many years (Sako Finnlight) It is my favourite go to rifle . More than capable of taking the game mentioned . I experimented in the early days with a number of different bullet weights but found that for the game that I hunt pigs ,goats and deer including Reds and Samber I only use the 140g Hornaady SST.s an excellent bullet that combines great accuracy and excellent terminal performance .It's mild recoil allows and inherent accuracy are a couple of its major benefits.

Comment

Ahh.....I think Im looking for the same thing. Leaning towards a Tikka with the MT barrel. Throw the lot in a MDT LSS chassis when it comes out.

I think that a long time ago you could get the Steyr Scout in 7mm-08. I'd give my left one to get my mits on such a Unicorn.
        Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by DeadMeat" post=29892
          Ahh.....I think Im looking for the same thing. Leaning towards a Tikka with the MT barrel. Throw the lot in a MDT LSS chassis when it comes out.

I think that a long time ago you could get the Steyr Scout in 7mm-08. I'd give my left one to get my mits on such a Unicorn.
          That my friend is not what i would call a light weight mountain carry set up they do look the business though

i ordered an MT in 7-08 a while back, after 7 months waiting i was told there was no ETA so i gave in and took a standard varmint, i think i'd still be waiting

steve

7mm-08 and 308 are pretty much neck and neck out to 400m. It's at longer distances that the 7mm with high BC projectiles starts to shine.

If your rifle allows longer COAL's it will allow you to seat the longer VLD projectiles (Nosler, Berger VLD's, Hornady 162gr Amax etc) out over 2.90" and still feed through the mag.

Sako 85 will allow seating over 2.90"
        Browning X-Bolt 2.90" Max
        Tikka T3 you will need to modify the bolt stop to enable you to use longer COAL's

I've been very tempted at times to buy a Browning BLR in 7mm-08, I think it would be ideal for what you're looking at. I've no idea how long the mag lets you run your COAL's.

Berger make a 168gr Classic Hunter that works well at shorter COAL's.

Having the longer COAL's gives you room in the case for more powder.

Using Alliant Reloder 17 and 19 you will get 2800fps from 162-168gr projectiles without pressure issues however loads will be slightly compressed.

Lately I've been running 120gr Hornady Vmax at over 3100fps and they hit very hard on smaller game. I've shot a few medium size pigs with them and they work very well. I was concerned being a varmint projectile the would be too frangible but they have not lacked in penetration.

I normally run the Berger 168gr Classic Hunters in both of my 7mm's now that the Amax's aren't available.

If you're going to load use the Lapua 260Rem brass and a K&M neck expander and expand the neck to 7mm. It's a one step operation.

Using the 162 and 168 gr High BC projectiles at 2800fps the 7mm will do the job out to some silly ranges.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Gday Dino,

2800 fps is pretty impressive from a 168gr pill, I only get 2760 from my .308 using 150gr pills.

Thanks for the heads up on the COAL as my mate needs to take this into consideration when purchasing his rifle.

One question to you and others, what's the recommended rate of twist for the 7mm-08??

My lightweight hunting rifle is a 7-08. Remington Model 7, 22in Ti barrel in a Wildcat Composites stock with Talley rings and a 207 Kahles scope it weighs 6lb 3oz all up with sling. A Kimber Montana is heavier and the Ascent is about the same.
        Before painting.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Rem7-Weight.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	43490

Painted
        Click image for larger version

Name:	RHS-Painted-Small.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	43489

For normal fallow/pigs/goats I run 145gn Speer spitzers at 2850fps from the 22in barrel. These are good killing bullets on the critters in my area out of my rifle.

For Sambar I would move immediately to a 160gn Woodleigh, perhaps even the 175gn (although this may be too large for the 7-08 cartridge).

If I were to build such a rifle on a T3 (which I wouldn't) then I would just go with the 270, or 280 Remington cartridges in a T3 Lightweight. Even then though, the T3 balance would be rubbish and off-hand shots would be difficult due to the butt-heavy balance of the rifle.

I am currently building another Model 7 for a friend in 260 Rem. With a 6x Leupold and some lightening tricks, it weighs in at 5lb, 10oz!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The poor old T3 isn't universally loved? :lol: mine balances around 6 inches in front of the trigger - same as most sporting rifles

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by adamjp" post=30455
          Even then though, the T3 balance would be rubbish and off-hand shots would be difficult due to the butt-heavy balance of the rifle.
          !
          Not trying to start an argument but where do you get the idea that a T3 lite us but heavy?

Now I don't own a tikka lite as such, I own a varmint which is extremely muzzle heavy. I also own a T3 lite barrel in .243 which I fit to my varmint action and even with the varmint stock (which is heavier than the lite) the set up balances on my hand around he magazine. Hardly what I would call butt heavy.

I apologise for being slightly off topic but let's be clear

Steve

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7x57.html

The above link is a pretty good read for selecting projectiles for the 7mm's. I've found a lot of Nathan's opinions mirror my own experiences.

I'll just add a 7mm-08 spitting out 162-168gr projectiles at 2800fps feels the same on my shoulder as a 308 launching similar weight pills at similar velocities.

The lighter recoil tag comes from lighter projectiles at factory loaded velocities.

I've got a Browning X-Bolt and Tikka T3 Varmint, both of the factory twist rates work exceptionally well with projectiles from 120-168gr.

Comment

I wouldn't go quoting the laminate has bad balance as the laminate an hunter models have the best balance in the t3 range

Comment

The T3 Lite is muzzle heavy and the Hunter is well balanced, at least in the 22 1/2 inch barrel. I know because I have both and have put 300g of musket balls in the Lite stock to balance it. I understand that the Laminate weighs the same as the Hunter, so the balance should be the same. The 20 inch barrel may differ though, I don't know.
            "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Just out of interest. I thought I would post up some info of what this calibre is capable of when taken to the extreme.
              The velocities shown are out of a 7-08ai chambering using 180gn Berger bullets.
              The velocity of standard 7-08 brass and the max book ADI load is about 140fps less, the top velocity load is with a moderate load of AR2209 powder with fire formed brass. This load is about 3.5gn above the 7-08 book max and had mild pressure..
              This is a very efficient case and is capable of much more than what more shooters realize. The AI version gives 100 to 150fps more velocity and burns about 8% more powder.

The Standard 7-08 against its improved version.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks for posting Norm

the Ackley'd version is a beast! a 180gr at 2800fps is very impressive from the little case (at 1km its still got 1000ft-lbs and its supersonic until around 1.5kms)

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Norm" post=30831
                Just out of interest. I thought I would post up some info of what this calibre is capable of when taken to the extreme.
                The velocity of standard 7-08 brass and the max book ADI load is about 140fps less, the top velocity load is with a moderate load of AR2209 powder with fire formed brass. This load is about 3.5gn above the 7-08 book max and had mild pressure..
                This is a very efficient case and is capable of much more than what more shooters realize. The AI version gives 100 to 150fps more velocity and burns about 8% more powder.

My pic, 7-08 and .284 win, steve

hey norm, something doesn't seem right with your figures here

i'm running a straight 7-08 with 168's and 162's it doesn't come close to 2800fps and a straight .284 win with 180's at around 2750fps. i am struggling to understand how you are getting 2800fps from the 7-08AI with 180's. I'm using over 52gr of 2209 in a 28" tube to get the 180's up there and i can't see that much powder fitting in the 7-08AI case

not having a go just trying to understand

steve

• MrCarbine
                MrCarbine commented
                Editing a comment
                [quote="Norm" post=30831]Just out of interest. I thought I would post up some info of what this calibre is capable of when taken to the extreme.

Are these loaded to the normal COL 2.8" ?
                They look a bit long.

Safe to say those rounds with 180gr VLD's will be way over 2.800" COAL!

I'd hazard a guess and say they'd be close to a COAL of 3.250"

Comment

RE17 works well with the 140gr and 162, 168 gr projectiles. The 162,168 will need to be seated at longer COAL's to enable enough powder to fit in the case. You will still end up with mildly compressed loads.

Tikka Tart was using RE19 with good results but I'm yet to try it in my 7mm-08's.

Fairly easy to launch the 162, 168gr projectiles at 2800fps without excessive pressure signs.

I'm using RL15 with 120gr projectiles and I've been very happy with the velocity and accuracy achieved.

ADI has load data for BM8208 and 162gr Amax at a COAL of 2.875" at 2725fps.

I've got 8208 but yet to play around with it in the 7mm.

Comment

ive got a tikka t3 lite in 7mm-08. Very happy with it. Overkill on goats in my opinion but a great choice none the less.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by JasonSelmes" post=80761
                    ive got a tikka t3 lite in 7mm-08. Very happy with it. Overkill on goats in my opinion but a great choice none the less.

I notice 2 things in your picture Jason, one that you are at silverdale & 2 you are putting your leatherman to good use I see :lol:
                Working...
                X