Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tikka T3 6.5x55 Muzzle Break

Hi All,

Just after opinions regarding fitting a Break onto my tikka t3 in 6.5x55.
    While I am aware that it's a relatively mild caliber it still does have recoil. While I'm sure this is a technique issue which probably requires Time and Work at the range and or out Hunting that I struggle to keep my eye on target after pulling the trigger. It also might be due to the fact that my bipod is not on the most stable surface so after pulling the trigger the rifle may jump/move slightly and then i have to reacquire my target.

As a novice I'd imagine there are a couple of options although just after some some advice.

Cheers

Contact HSS about their clamp on brake. I'm very happy with mine

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=29095
      Contact HSS about their clamp on brake. I'm very happy with mine

Steve
      So the clamp on from HSS goes ok then Steve?
      I was looking at getting one for my .260 & didn't really want to get the barrel threaded!
      So no problems with them moving & does it affect groups or poi?
      Also I think regardless of your rifles original recoil a break is always going to help you in re acquiring the target quicker for the next shot IMO.

I'd get somebody to help you with your technique before getting a break. You may not be holding the butt into your shoulder tightly enough, it is a problem I have had to work on. I wouldn't be parting with the cash and enduring the extra noise just for a Swede.
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=29102
      just for a Swede.
      Those swede owners are a firey bunch, and them's fighting words. Lol

Steve

What you are describing is typical rifle behaviour off a bipod. I take it that you are using a Harris style bipod and shooting off a bench?

The Harris is prone to accentuating the torque from the bullet going down the barrel and flipping the rifle up and to the right/left depending on your hold. To prove this, shoot a three round group in your "normal" position and see where the rifle ends up pointing. Then shoot the rifle with your non-trigger hand holding the stock firmly behind the bipod and pulling the rifle down. A sand bag under the rifle butt will help. Shoot another three round group and compare.

You haven't said what load you are using - the heavier bullets seem to make the rifle hop more.

Precision riflery takes time and practice. Get some range time going and shoot regularly and often in different positions is very important is this is a hunting rifle. It would be better to practice shooting from the Prone Unsupported position more than the Prone Bipod too, as that teaches muscle memory for when you are in the field (bipods don't really teach good technique).

Your post hits the nail on the head - it is all about trigger time but it is also about learning what you are doing wrong and correcting technique for the next shoot.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by Hairy Biker" post=29130
      What you are describing is typical rifle behaviour off a bipod. I take it that you are using a Harris style bipod and shooting off a bench?
      Past few times I've taken my bipod off and used a rest at the range however I mainly experience the issue while out Hunting. And yes it's a Harris Bipod.

The Harris is prone to accentuating the torque from the bullet going down the barrel and flipping the rifle up and to the right/left depending on your hold. To prove this, shoot a three round group in your "normal" position and see where the rifle ends up pointing. Then shoot the rifle with your non-trigger hand holding the stock firmly behind the bipod and pulling the rifle down. A sand bag under the rifle butt will help. Shoot another three round group and compare.
      Will try the offhand shooting next time I head out.

You haven't said what load you are using - the heavier bullets seem to make the rifle hop more.
      Just factory Federal 140g SP's - I have considered trying the 129g or 95g(?) federals but theyre alot more expensive. I do plan to reload in the future just don't actually have the time to sit down and figure out what i need right now.

Precision riflery takes time and practice. Get some range time going and shoot regularly and often in different positions is very important is this is a hunting rifle. It would be better to practice shooting from the Prone Unsupported position more than the Prone Bipod too, as that teaches muscle memory for when you are in the field (bipods don't really teach good technique).
      I've only been shooting for the better part of a year. It's mainly a hunting rifle however I do use it for Target Shooting and myself and a couple mates just have the friendly wager, I like the challenge. No intention of going competition though - At Least not yet

Next time I'm out Silverdale / St Mary's might hit the gents up for some pointers if they have the time to spare.

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Hairy Biker" post=29130
      (bipods don't really teach good technique).
      I really have no idea what this means, bipods are widely used and require a technique all of there own, to say they teach poor technique is just incorrect, it is a DIFFERENT technique, bipods are an extremely usefull tool, particularly in the LR and ELR game.

Nothing wrong with fitting a break, but they create their own issues if you shoot in a group, and some ranges require the use of baffles so you neighbours are not copping an earful, fclass ranges, well, they will probably chase you away, but your not shooting comp so no problem there.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of scope are you using? makign sure you have a wide field of view and appropriate magnification for the distance being shot is important.

I woudl also focus on postion, as the way your body moves when it comes to acceptign the recoil plays a part in it all......

A break will help minimize the issue, but it wont fix poor technique, and poor technique leads to missed shots!!

Nothing wrong with getting a brake installed . I have one on my tikka t3 300wm . Helps big time now recoil is less then a 308 / 243 like and that's shooting 208/210 gr pills . Id imagine a swede recoil will be 223 / 22-250 like

Comment

Some people just seem to have muzzle brake paranoia.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=29175
        Some people just seem to have muzzle brake paranoia.
        More like wasted money paranoia. I'd get a break myself if the round justified it, but for the sake of a 308 or less I would settle for a better recoil pad.

PS to the OP, have you got the factory recoil pad on your Tikka? If so you might like to try a Pachmeyer Decelerator for about $60, it might solve your problem.

Hey Risbo, sounds like some great suggestions from the good people on here. Don't forget if you are keen on the idea, have the money and are willing to hand it over for a break then get one !! In the end there's nothing wrong with having a break AND learning a bit more from the top old blokes down the range about your rifle hold/shooting technique. Remember with a hobby you will never waste money if you are enjoying it, you'll only spend it. If you buy an Australian made one then you help keep an aussie business going and if you buy it from a local gun shop then you double the benefit.

I've probably said more than is required now but in the end I always cringe when I see people saying, "That purple paint isn't required ! You're wasting your money". If you dig the purple paint and you work for your money then spend away mate, spend away !!!

Comment

I've got one for my .30-06 as well.

Comment

If the Bipod is a Harris copy I would suggest you chuck it in the bin and buy a genuine. They are much better.
          Using a genuine harris bipod I have never had issues staying on target.

Harris bipods have to be "loaded up" This means that the shooter leans into the rifle and applies some forward tension on the bipod.
          After some practice you will soon learn the correct amount of force required. This should fix your problem.

JH

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            all the bipods I've used need to be loaded up? (but I've never used an f class type bipod that slides - assume those need to be loaded up to a certain degree too)

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by John23" post=29567
            If the Bipod is a Harris copy I would suggest you chuck it in the bin and buy a genuine. They are much better.
            Using a genuine harris bipod I have never had issues staying on target.

Harris bipods have to be "loaded up" This means that the shooter leans into the rifle and applies some forward tension on the bipod.
            After some practice you will soon learn the correct amount of force required. This should fix your problem.

JH
            It's a Genuine Harris bipod. 6"-12" however not once have i been told to use forward pressure. I get that on bench it's expected to bounce around and being a bench its hard to apply forward pressure without slipping. I have just been letting the bipod sit there effectively taking the weight of the front of the rifle and having the butt hold firm in my shoulder.

I have a Tikka forrest in 6.5x55 and being lighter it does boot a bit off the bench compared to my Sako 6.5 x55 Varmint.I have a pachmeyer pad on my varmint but I put a Limbsaver onthe tikka.You can buy a straight fit limbsaver and I prefer it to the pachmeyer now.IA muzzle break is fine for the field but it is annoying/off putting to be next to one at the range.
          .I have harris bi-pods and do ok with them off the bench but I do better with a bench rest for dedicated testing.

Anyway,you made a great choice of Caliber and rifle

Comment

Originally posted by risbo" post=29088
            Hi All,

Just after opinions regarding fitting a Break onto my tikka t3 in 6.5x55.
            While I am aware that it's a relatively mild caliber it still does have recoil. While I'm sure this is a technique issue which probably requires Time and Work at the range and or out Hunting that I struggle to keep my eye on target after pulling the trigger. It also might be due to the fact that my bipod is not on the most stable surface so after pulling the trigger the rifle may jump/move slightly and then i have to reacquire my target.
            As a novice I'd imagine there are a couple of options although just after some some advice.
            Cheers
            Another reason might be that the "length of pull" (LOP) might be too short. I find that the current Sako/Tikka range of rifles have a rather short LOP for me. This does increase the perceived recoil.
            If you're going through hell, keep going."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

thanks SC

this is a gen 2 alloy brake, for others they have a stainless steel insert that is bored to the correct size for your caliber. they come with mounting instructions and the correct size allen key. I was initially disappointed by the black screws but it was pointed out that they are genuine unbrako brand 12.9 grade screws. a drop of gun oil and they have not showed any signs of rust

steve

here are some pics of the rifle with the brake

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
                SmoothOperator_87 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by 6602steven" post=31163
                thanks SC

this is a gen 2 alloy brake, for others they have a stainless steel insert that is bored to the correct size for your caliber. they come with mounting instructions and the correct size allen key. I was initially disappointed by the black screws but it was pointed out that they are genuine unbrako brand 12.9 grade screws. a drop of gun oil and they have not showed any signs of rust

steve

here are some pics of the rifle with the brake

Hi Steve,

Do you receive all the muzzle blast wave with how it points backwards? Can you shoot it all day without a headache? How is the increase in noise?

Had some bad experiences with brakes

You show me yours I'll show you mine.

Gen 2 HSS brake....T3 Lite...30-06 Sprg
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075_2013-11-17.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	44205

Who needs magnification in the jungle.

Name:	DSC_0080_2013-11-17.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	44206

It's a black kind of rifle.

Name:	DSC_0082.JPG
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	44207

Loud?...don't notice it, use Peltor SportTac electronic muffs all the time...Muzzle blast?...who cares, hunt by myself and never go to a range....Reduces recoil?....you bet ya, by heaps.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=31277
                You show me yours I'll show you mine.

Gen 2 HSS brake....T3 Lite...30-06 Sprg

Who needs magnification in the jungle.

It's a black kind of rifle.

Loud?...don't notice it, use Peltor SportTac electronic muffs all the time...Muzzle blast?...who cares, hunt by myself and never go to a range....Reduces recoil?....you bet ya, by heaps.
                Tactical snowcam lawn chair eh?

LOL

steve
                Attached Files

Left hand action as well.

Comment

Working...
              X