22-250 twist rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22-250 twist rate

It seems that nearly every manufacturer offers this caliber in a 1:14 twist rate. To my mind, this limits the projectile range to the lighter end of the scale, say 35 - 55gns.

I guess its designed as a pure varminter, but nI'm wondering what you have managed to push your rifle to in terms of bullet weights?

Thanks,

Frank

63gn but I mostly use 52gn hpbt Sierra's

http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/rifles-bolt-action-centre-fire/1957-bill-marden-custom-rifles#20497
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      A Ruger M77 (MkI) I had did very well with 60gr Hornady SP (#2270). Groups of under 0.5" were common and it killed anything I pointed at! Too bad I don't like heavy barrel rifles.

do you know what twist it was?

Comment

• Fast Twist
      Fast Twist commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Send-it" post=28971
      do you know what twist it was?
      Pretty sure it was 1:8

Pretty sure savage do a 1:9 twist

Comment

I used to have a Remington ADL in 22-250. Loaded everything from 40g to the 70g speer which was the heaviest back then and they all grouped under moa.
      Some were much better and would cut holes but all were fine for hunting purposes but I have no idea what the barrel twist was in it.
      60g Nos partition was my favourite on med game.

Comment

• Vromme
        Vromme commented
        Editing a comment
        The main theory of the 250 is a point and shoot varminter, little hold over up to 300yrds odd (depending on zero/bullet weight charge etc). In saying that when I wear out my barrel on my 250 I may change to a faster twist, just to try something different.

If you want to shoot heavier bullets generally .243 is the go. Still flat shooting but better on mid game.

I currently use 50gn Nosler BT in my 22-250 running almost 4000fps. Its a typical 1:14 (Sako varmint 85). Pretty devastating on small-mid game. Im about to test some 64gn Berger FB varmints. They are around 20.70 long and the 50gn Nosler are 20.10 so quite similar length. The length of them that touches the rifling is also similar as the Noslers taper more (front and rear).

The Bergers are recommended for 1:12 and faster but I think the 22-250 will be fine as it is going at very high speeds. Someone may be able to correct my theory as it could be completely wrong but Im guessing that a faster moving/higher velocity bullet (like a 22-250) can get away with a slower twist rate?

I am pretty confident these will shoot well. You can do the math all day but sometimes the only real way of telling is getting out there and trying them out. Im going to test with 2208 and hopefully do a ladder test and then some groups.

The main reason Im trialling is I sometimes shoot on a property that has the odd pig running around (mainly shoot foxes there) and I wouldnt mind seeing the difference with a little more bullet weight. It’s a pain changing rifles (to a larger cal) and I really love my 250 for smashing foxes, cats etc.

I will let you know how they go if you are interested.

I have a 7 twist 22-250AI. Its still in the early stages of load development but so far i have pushed 90gr bergers just past 3000fps with no pressure signs.

Comment

• fxol
        fxol commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Seddo" post=29861
        I have a 7 twist 22-250AI. Its still in the early stages of load development but so far i have pushed 90gr bergers just past 3000fps with no pressure signs.
        Sounds good. What about the other way, what's the lightest? 55gns?

3800 with 71gr pills from a 22-250AI ??
      sounds fast.

Comment

I shoot a Browning BLR in 22-250 with a 1 in 14 twist, 20" barrel in lever action competition.

Mine loves 50gr projectiles better than 55gr. The old guys used 52gr regularly and the 22-250 gets there fast and accurately.

If it's for target, no reason to have a tighter twist I would imagine, except for flexibility in using a heavier projectile.

For hunting, anything up to goats with well placed shots.

Comment

• fxol
          fxol commented
          Editing a comment
          It will only be for hunting - the usual suspects, rabbits and foxes. But the versatility for goats and pigs would also be handy. I think there is a cartridge called a super roo?? This might fit the bill ?

looks good.
        do you think those bullets will be stoutly constructed enough for small to medium pigs/goats?
        i got a second 22-250, and a pig trip coming up soon.
        thinking of setting up my spare 250 as a back up to my 6.5 mauser.

Comment

• Vromme
          Vromme commented
          Editing a comment
          I will hopefully be able to let you know after the weekend. Im heading off this aft to go to a property where there are normally pigs around.

Byt the looks of them I say they will be quite good, they are mildly hollow points, and identical to the target type (brass slightly thicker I believe).

http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com/22-Cal-64-Grain-Match-Grade-FB-Varmint_p_22.html

They actually have a twist rate calculator. I put in all the data and I it shows that just sits in the adequate stability range.

Although called a varmint I dont think they will break up as much as the typical varmint type, but I could be wrong.

wouldn't effect short range accuracy, just loose a bit of speed though.

Comment

• fxol
          fxol commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Send-it" post=52468
          wouldn't effect short range accuracy, just loose a bit of speed though.
          Do you think there's any way of quantifying the longer range accuracy? In reality, 300 mts is a long way to me so I'm hoping over that distance and in particular, sub 200 mts ranges, I don't notice any real change? What do you think?

as far as I know it wont matter.

out of curiosity,.................why not a 243?

Comment

• fxol
          fxol commented
          Editing a comment
          Why not a 243? This came along and I like the quirky side to it - fast rate, heavier projectiles in a 250. I'm trying to find out what the rifle ail do in terms of what range projectile weight it will stabilise, hopefully 55 - 80 gns maybe?? Makes it a pretty versatile unit.

So in answer to your question Mr Carbine, I know what I want, but was just trying to figure out what a 1:9 twist in a 250 can do and what would be the effect of reducing the barrel length?
      Working...
      X