200m ranges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200m ranges

This is really starting to annoy me. The more I look the harder it is to find a range where you can shoot 200m with a serious rifle.

Does anyone know of a range in QLD other than belmont where you can shoot a 300 series rifle. It seems its getting harder to find one. Or I just have not looked hard enough. Does anyone have any idea. I was going to get a nice 300 series rifle, but there seems to be a shortage of ranges where I could shoot the thing.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

I'm in NSW but do you mean 30cal (308, 30-06, 30-30 etc) when you say 300 series?

If so I believe most outdoor ranges will let you shoot them

Comment

Go hunting with it then.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Jester308
        Jester308 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, because that'll help him zero,group and gather his data won't it....

JJ

The SSAA range at Ripley (near Ipswich) will allow you to shoot 200m.

Comment

• Pitty
        Pitty commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Mister" post=29010
        The SSAA range at Ripley (near Ipswich) will allow you to shoot 200m.
        So will Belmont.

Thank you to all responders this is the kind of discussion I was looking for.

-yes when I say 300 series I mean .3xx as in .308. I don't think I could afford to shoot 400 series (or I would) but the problem remains. I am range bound do to lack of a regular hunting location which I am working on but its a work in progress. Mostly because I can't really afford $75 per day to shoot animals. just don't have the funds. So I am looking for somebody with a wild life problem that he feels is rifle solvable. But yes very much range bound till then.

-I wont start reloading till late feb of next year. So working up good hunting loads is not an issue yet. I'll let Remington handle that in the short run. but getting familiar with the rifle, getting into good shouldering habits with a new gun, working a new safety before the shot, all that takes time behind the gun. I can't just shot in my back yard. think of the noise. So yes some time at a range will be necessary. at least a few hundred rounds to break her in and get comfortable with the new mule. Which requires a 200m range where I can shoot the big boys. That is hard to do, say, on the gold coast. It is easy out at Goondiwindi. But if you are that rural then you probably know someone who will let you shoot on there land and it is not a big deal anyway.

right now this is in the planning phase but you see where I am coming from. I currently have a 77/357 ruger and I can load that down for range work (my friend reloads) and shoot it at a pistol range. for hunting I'll just buy hollow points for now, but I hopefully will find someone this summer with that wild life problem I was looking for and help him solve it. That would be fun.
      "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool just trying to understand where you're coming from - for the record I don't think you can class calibres like that ("300 or 400 series" etc). For example a 338 lapua is probably 15 times more expensive than a 44 magnum and much more powerful

What exactly is a 300 series rifle? The last time I was at Belmont you could shoot to 500metres, just had to get your targets after 5pm. If you want to shoot further you could always join the QRA next door and shoot out to 1000 metres( or is that range still in yards, someone may correct me on that ) but you also have Ripley SSAA and if you feel like a drive you could go to Imbil or Fraser Coast SSAA ranges, just look on the SSAA website for times and locations

Comment

I'm 1/2 way between Belmont and Ripley. I prefer Ripley, less crowded and it's a good excuse to take Friday or Monday off work. (it's good to be the boss :P )

Normally I'll drop a 6 pack target and a single glow shot target at 100 and 200. I always shoot out to at least 200m there, if you are going out to 300m you just need to let the RO know.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow it might be time to head out to Ripley instead next trip, 300m would be better for testing than 200m at Belmont.
      Working...
      X