Short barrel 308 vs noise vs velocity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short barrel 308 vs noise vs velocity

If I get a Ruger scout vs something with a longer barrel am I going to loose much velocity and gain a heap of noise?

Does the flash hider make any difference?

I'm looking at getting a short barrel 308 to make it easier to move around in the cab of the ute. From the adi load data the velocity difference between a 15inch and 24inch barrel is about 300fps. Dunno about the noise tho I'd imagine it'd be loud.

Comment

hey guys

I dont have one, but do plan on building a short barrel 300 win mag,
      In my research, yes of course there could be fairly substantial speed loss, but that is only an issue if you need the ultimate hitting power or stretching the range. I guess sub 400 or so, maybe even more metres, its not gonna make any difference.. but yes sound and the concusion is going to make a big difference, but...... there are many many tactical rifles coming out from factories that do all the testing etc etc that are more than happy with 308 performance with 18' barrels.
      Even in Bullpup they are running 18' 308s, now that would rock the socks witht the short barrel that close to the face with the action tucked right under your arm pit in the bull pup stock!!

My research on the 300 shows that Il loose up tp 50fps per inch, so from 24' which alot of 300s are, il loose 300fps as well, but thats still plenty of power for me, may just need to adjust elevation that tad more than normal for my goal of 1000m with it. I just got a thing about short rifles!! and bigger boolits. But the bang is going to take some getting used too thats for sure!!

Hope that completely useles post may be of some help.

MM
      "shoot straight shoot quick"
      Coonan 357 Magnum semi Auto- like shooting a laser!!!!!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Martymonster" post=28651
        hey guys

I dont have one, but do plan on building a short barrel 300 win mag,
        In my research, yes of course there could be fairly substantial speed loss, but that is only an issue if you need the ultimate hitting power or stretching the range. I guess sub 400 or so, maybe even more metres, its not gonna make any difference.. but yes sound and the concusion is going to make a big difference, but...... there are many many tactical rifles coming out from factories that do all the testing etc etc that are more than happy with 308 performance with 18' barrels.
        Even in Bullpup they are running 18' 308s, now that would rock the socks witht the short barrel that close to the face with the action tucked right under your arm pit in the bull pup stock!!

My research on the 300 shows that Il loose up tp 50fps per inch, so from 24' which alot of 300s are, il loose 300fps as well, but thats still plenty of power for me, may just need to adjust elevation that tad more than normal for my goal of 1000m with it. I just got a thing about short rifles!! and bigger boolits. But the bang is going to take some getting used too thats for sure!!

Hope that completely useles post may be of some help.

MM
        short barrelled .300??!! THIS MAN IS INSANE
        hahaha just joking mate no offence intended
        met a guy at the range with a .24in .300 with a brake and that was bad enough felt like a grenade had gone off standing next to it

Shorty 308s are a lot of fun to shoot and generally aren't much louder IF you load your own ammo and maximise powder burn.

Here is my Tikka SBR (I'm manning the camera):

Naturally, with a brake it is louder but for most intents and purposes its about the same as other 308s. In fact off the bench you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in noise level vs my mate's Tikka lite in .308, only the over pressure gives it away.

Regarding velocity loss, with factory ammo you will see about 30ft/s per inch of velocity loss, however if you handload you can make up lost ground easily. With 44.5gr of 2206H behind a 155AMAX I chrony 2900ft/s. Yeah, it really is that fast, dope confirmed out to 500m.
      Sometimes life gives you lambda points. Just chill, once the bubbling stops s'all good mate.

Brotha's got spinners!

Comment

• WhelanLad
        WhelanLad commented
        Editing a comment
        http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/02/why-shorter-rifle-barrels-may-be-better

I have had people at the range move away from my ruger scout the aus version (I wouldn't want it any shorter) . One guy was nearly falling of his seat with every shot :lol: I wear ear plugs and electronic muffs over the top. Once I jumped out of the car too shoot and forgot them . I chased a mob into the scrub I took out 8 goats but my ears rang for days it was horrible they are very loud in my opinion . Didn't spoil the trip thou But lesson learnt don't forget muffs

Comment

• Mat1979
        Mat1979 commented
        Editing a comment
        I cut my Rem SPS Varmint down to just over 20" and find it is loud for people around me but fine when you are behind the gun. Shot a cat and two pigs a few weeks ago with no ringing in my ears.

I have a Savage 10 PC .308 with 20" barrel, I wouldn't say that it is much louder than a longer barrelled .308. Nothing you'd sook about anyway.

Comment

Maybe that's why some dont recommend shortening the barrel below 20 inches to much un burnt powder with factory ammo or slow burning powders . My scouts 18 inches but some are what 16 inches .
        Two out of the three times I've shot at the range with it people have moved away and made comments the other time no one was near me . One of the times the guy was a spotter for his mate he was right behind me . Every time it fired he jumped and made a few comments it was bloody funny he was good about it thou :P :lol: . The scout is good value at the range has a decent flame out the barrel too :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Bystanders seem to cop a lot of the muzzle blast, I had to shoot next to a 6.5x55 and it was painful even with muffs.

The rounds were overloaded and had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod each time he fired but he was too tight to bin the loads.

Was your scout with the muzzle break or not?

No brake or flash hider just standard with a aim point h-1 forward mounted . An old fella was checking it out especially after he saw my groups at 200 yards compared to his sako 243 's groups . I think it was more about the user of the sako thou

Comment

i have a Ruger Scout and shoot 165gr rounds at 2650 fps on a mild load .
          the blast IS noticeably louder to people but doesnt bother me in a discomforting way .

Comment

Working...
          X