jamming bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamming bolt?

Guys have a mate with a TC .308 which had been sent off as a Re Call , its been gone for 8 months an just returned, he had no issues previously before sending it away..
    now he sent some photos of groups he shot, all looking very good... but today he is telling me the bolt is jamming after firing rounds, is ok chambering a live round an ejecting.... until he shoots.

says he needs a hammer to get bolt out....

To me this is bad news!

What can be the cause of this, He is using Factory ammo......

Any info would be hugely appreciated!

thanks
    WL

Why was it recalled? It seems odd to be jamming like that now.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• WhelanLad
      WhelanLad commented
      Editing a comment
      Something to do with a trigger problem, although not on his but they said if he didn't send it in it would void warranty....

yeeh I totally agree....
      He says the ammo is about a year old, factory, used it fine before sending rifle away..

I thought grime grease an dust could build up inside chamber, when explosion goes the case is sticking the chamber?? he rekons he cleaned it a few times but will give it a good scrub now again?

could be a head space issue within the action.
    is it with various brands of ammo?

Comment

any excessively flattened primers?
      this would show higher chamber pressure.

Comment

I tend to agree with Send it, head space.
        Had an old Mk 4 that had this problem, but that was on old worn out rifle. strange this happens with a newish rifle.
        I'd be sending it back.

Comment

• WhelanLad
          WhelanLad commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah bloody odd!

Ive passed on some info, an will report back when hes used these different Ammos..

Bein a trigger issue, you wouldn't think they would pull a barrel for that?? never really know though I guess . most LGS really don't mind too much eh.

So do we think the Neck is maybe getting caught up/ pressed into the chamber ?

if it went back under a recall,................I wonder if the correct bolt got put back in.
        ahh,........hang on,..............back off the tension on the rear action screw a tiny bit.
        maybe there's undue stress there somewhere.
        seen that before,..........just enough to be a problem.

Comment

Send it back. Seek a replacement, as it is "not fit for purpose". Using factory SAAMI spec ammo should function flawlessly.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

not sure with TC's but,...................does the safety feature also lock the bolt shut?
            if so, it could be a safety catch issue.

Comment

Had the same issue with dads barrett, using hornady ammo.... After lots of research I found it was just because the hornady ammo was loaded too hot for the tight tolerances in the barrett....
              I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

just a thought, when he got it back did he give it a good clean? reason i ask is it's common for an oily chamber to allow a case to slide rearwards on firing, making the bolt hard to open.

assuming he did clean the barrel and chamber out properly then i would say it's a pressure issue. most factory hunting ammo tends to be pretty hot and if the chamber is at the extreme end of spec this could be the issue. I once owned a Remington which would not even chamber highland .223 sp ammo. get him to measure the new case and the fired cases, they will show you the headspace and any other problems like case head expansion (perhaps ask members here in your city if they have hornady head space guage set I'm in sydney and will loan them to you if you're local)

it could also be a bedding issue but this should show during normal bolt cycling, not just on fired cases

steve

Comment

• WhelanLad
                  WhelanLad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  update.

after releasing all pressure off actions screws an re adjusting , rifle full break down an clean, it still jams after being fired, he tried to load a fired round an it didn't want to chamber too easy an he had to put a lot of pressure on the bolt... an I believe it jammed up enough to need a hitting....

Ive passed on more info an said to try a totally different brand of ammo for a few goes, then take it back an say your not happy an its not fit for use, an demand a new one as it was fine before it was sent away.....

pretty much

hes spewin

WL

definitely take it back.!!
                does not sound safe.
                if they cant fix it, then they can replace it.
                my thoughts anyway.

Comment

• jasmay
                  jasmay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would be looking at the fired cases compared to a new, check primers etc. Is the bolt tight to close on a new round?

I am not saying its not, but I doubt it will be an excess headspace issue, more likely to little, but you should be able to tell this if its tight to chamber a new round.

Why was it returned originally?

Can you tell if its had a new barrel fitted?

Excess headspace will not cause cases to be hard to extract.
                If the chamber is too tight it may cause this but as factory rounds chamber easily, then this is unlikely.

This sounds more like a rough chamber issue. There could be a rough spot in the chamber. Most likely caused by rust that has developed while it was away getting serviced. the chamber may need a polish.

Comment

• jasmay
                  jasmay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Norm" post=28500
                  Excess headspace will not cause cases to be hard to extract.
                  If the chamber is too tight it may cause this but as factory rounds chamber easily, then this is unlikely.
                  Yep, but as I asked above, please clarify if they do indeed chamber easily. Its also not entirely true, its unusual but it can happen, if it has you are likely to see carbon down the side of fired brass, i.e. past the shoulder towards the base, a sign that pressure is escaping the case.

Originally posted by Norm" post=28500
                  This sounds more like a rough chamber issue. There could be a rough spot in the chamber. Most likely caused by rust that has developed while it was away getting serviced. the chamber may need a polish.
                  Coudl also be an issue, but a polished chamber can also give issues, there are hones available, but I would not be going there until I have explored all other avenues, including warranty.

I would also be looking at primary extraction to see if there has been any damage/change in it function.
              Working...
              X