Tikka T3 vs. Savage Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tikka T3 vs. Savage Axis

A couple of rifles often compared and contrasted on this board (and another before it which will not be named) for consumer purposes.

I own a T3 .243 but recently Dad surprised me with the fact that he had picked up an Axis in .223. My interest on the Axis being what it is I had to compare side-to-side hands on. .

The Tikka is, well, the Tikka. A budget Sako that is light, smooth, and, relatively cheap. The Savage is a budget variety of their current line.

Action-Tikka. The Tikka does not care. Consider it honey-badger, The Axis ain't chopped liver and cycles fine but it's not a Tikka.

Trigger: Tikka. The Axis standard trig is breaking 3lbs nicely but he Tikka is wonders.

Weight: Tikka takes it by a hair. Axis is nice and light but not TIkka light.

Stock: Savage. While I like the Tikka Stock, the Axis stock provides more grip and feedback and control. Nice. Tikka synthetic is more slippery.

Magazine: Draw. Just feel. To each your own.

Just saying. I like them both for other reasons. Savage is a good gun. Tikka is a good gun. Read the above and I hope it helps.

I can't comment on the Savage, but my ears pricked up with the trigger comments. Are you saying that the Tikka trigger wanders and not consistent with your Dad's 243? I have two tikka's and not experienced any variation in trigger pressure. Has it been modified?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I have an axis and used a tikka only few weeks ago.

Buy a Tikka. if you have no other option buy an axis it will cost nearly the same to get it smithed up to tikka town. My axis hits the target but Out the box it is a cheep cheep POS

• Shotgunner
      Shotgunner commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by shooter3975" post=24773
      I can't comment on the Savage, but my ears pricked up with the trigger comments. Are you saying that the Tikka trigger wanders and not consistent with your Dad's 243? I have two tikka's and not experienced any variation in trigger pressure. Has it been modified?
      Both my Tikka triggers snap nicely, I've never heard of one doing otherwise.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment

No. "Wonders" vs. "wanders." The Tikka trigger is, well, Tikka. Very nice and light. The Axis is heavier but it did break crisp at around 3lbs so it ain't exactly garbage.

I've been looking to burn a little spare coin on one of the "super budget" rifles (Axis, American, etc.) in the $300-350 U.S. range. Handling the Axis right next to my Tikka didn't put me off of it but it didn't make me want to go right out and get one either. Decent enough gun for what it is but the Tikka and CZ may have spoiled me beyond repair. Anyway, still wanting something in 22-250 that will be light on the wallet so. That's all. Just thought I'd post some quick ramblings and to each their own.

T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg, T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...triggers have not been adjusted since purchase...both give a clean and crisp break every time. I know exactly when they're going to go off. No dramas with a Tikka trigger.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Mack260rem
      Mack260rem commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Savage Axis camo 243w and a Tikka Super Varmint .260rem.
      I like both rifles , the axis is very accurate I get sub .5 MOA at 100 and 1moa at 200 and 1.5 at 300.
      Trigger is lighten to 3 lb's .

But the Tikka is so much better ,trigger is down to 2lb and I got a .327MOA at 100 all in one hole.

But they are 2 very different rifles , tikka is a heavy varmint/target rifle and savage is a lite hunting rifle.
      Both get my votes
      tk0

I have played with 3 Savage axis's.

With my taste of rifles I am not much of a fan as I dont like the stock. The trigger is just awful and they are clearly a budget rifle.

Put my ego a side and start talking practical hunting rifle and I honestly believe they are as good as it gets.
    All the Axis I have used are accurate ! They are light ! They are in a price range where you can carry it though the scrub and not cry when it gets a scratch or knock.

For a precise target/varmint rifle NO
    For a MOA medium game rifle YES

Now after I say all of that.
    I would buy a Howa / Weatherby as the price is similar and I believe they are a much better quality rifle.

Tikka: They are a great rifle ! But they are in a different price bracket.

JH

Comment

[i][cheers for your comparisions, photos an feidl report would be just the ticket..../{i]

At some point I'll put some rounds through the Axis. Simply didn't have the time the other day as I had a hunting schedule in mind and was sticking to it. Dad popped the little Axis out by total surprise and I just handled it a little to get a feel of it thus my original post was more about how the two might feel to you if you had both of them at hand and just a chance to do a quick comparison on feel and aesthetics. Still, the Axis synthetic stock felt very good to handle and got my attention. I felt a lot of definition, grip, and, control with it. Kind of surprised me. The Tikka synthetic is supremely tough and strong but doesn't have the grip of the Axis.

[i][Put my ego a side and start talking practical hunting rifle and I honestly believe they are as good as it gets.
      All the Axis I have used are accurate ! They are light ! They are in a price range where you can carry it though the scrub and not cry when it gets a scratch or knock.

For a precise target/varmint rifle NO
      For a MOA medium game rifle YES

Now after I say all of that.
      I would buy a Howa / Weatherby as the price is similar and I believe they are a much better quality rifle./i]

Like the Howa/Weatherby just fine. But, if wanting a walking around hunting rifle they carry quite a bit of extra weight when compared with a Lite or Axis or American. An over the bench target rifle for little money. Howa. Howa. Howa. A cheap, decent walk-around hunting rifle? Well, Axis seems pretty good for that for the money. The American syn stock felt rather average to me and without the Tikka action.

All aside and wanting the best I could get for less than $600 (Now, I'm talking Yankee dollars here so put away the knives, okay?) I'm getting the syn Tikka I already have. Want something competent for less than $350.....................that Axis hangs way out there and sings a Siren's song.

Comment

GD'it. I screwed around with the Edit function and no matter what I did the quotes and italics remained screwed up. Hope my thoughts and the other posters can be discerned.

Comment

• WhelanLad
          WhelanLad commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that's right, over here, say that's a $600 Axis and a $1200 tikka. fairly diferent bracket but we are all o nthe same page in regards to the pecking order.

but in sayin this there is a Marlin X series, which I would consider before the Axis if it were me, an maybe even a dirty ol Mossberg atr. those models are all in the same bracket as the stevens 200 a while back. out of the league of the rugers remingtons howa weatherby tikka browning etc imo

schoot em an give us a report... then we're talkin

cheers
          wl

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          More time spent.

The Savage feels very tight and solid to handle. A solid little package. The stock is grippy and I like it a lot. My problem comes with the eject on the cycle. The bolt lever rotates up fine for about 3/4 of the way and then it stops I found myself beginning to reload with my fingers and then needing an upward slapping motion with my palm to get an ejection. Not my kind of cool. However, loading and locking was not near as tough. Not Tikka smooth at all.

The trigger is not a huge problem. It's a bit rougher that what you would get from a Tikka or CZ but ti's not bad. My Enfield has a far worse trigger. clearly. So I can't poo-poo that too much, Breaks at 3lbs regularly.

Anyway, There you go so take off.,

I did a trigger job on one of them today and I was surprised how much it improved,
        From 5+ pounds it went down to 2 pound and much less creep with ease,

As for the sear slipping on closer...........
        I wont tell you how to live your live ! But I do hope you replace that spring rather than just wind it in if you ever decide to sell.

JH

Comment

Im sure the both parties points are clear.

I am calling truths before I have to delete post

Sambar I agree a rifle should be safe,
          Shooter I agree that a shooter knows his rifle.

lets leave it as that hey?

JH

Comment

• shooter3975
            shooter3975 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by John23" post=30408
            Im sure the both parties points are clear.

I am calling truths before I have to delete post

Sambar I agree a rifle should be safe,
            Shooter I agree that a shooter knows his rifle.

lets leave it as that hey?

JH
            No worries, no offence intended... My apologies.
        Working...
        X