Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tikka T3 Picatinny Rail

Hi all,

Am looking at the option of purchasing a rail for one of my tikkas to set up for longer range shooting. Am I right in assuming that if I buy a 20 moa rail that it sets up the scope before I dial it in to zero to give me more click adjustments at range?? Does the rail actually have an incline on it so to speak??

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Yes the rail is higher at the rear and points the scope down.

Example

Scope with 50MOA of vertical adjustment.
    This means you will get 25 MOA up and 25MOA down.
    Ad a 20moa rail and and you will have 45 MOA vertical adjustment and 5MOA down.

What do you consider long range?
    What scope do you own that will be used on this LR rifle?
    Do you really need the rail?

JH

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to be putting a vortex viper on it.

I use a PST 6-24x scope to shoot 1000 yards (~900m). It doesn't have enough adjustment to "click up" to that range, however you can get most of the way there using the turrets and hold over the last 0.5-1 MRADs (1.7 - 3.4 MOA).

Attached is a picture that shows just how little you need to hold over (assuming you use .30. If you calculate you need 10.5 MRADs of adjustment, then just max out your turrets (~9.5 MRADs) and make up the remainder with the reticle.

So the 20MOA rail is up to you. I tried one once and it irked me how the scope wasn't straight with the rest of the rifle, so I just made do with a flat rail. 1000 yards is really the most you'll get out of a .308 anyway; Everything at and under 800m doesn't require any hold over.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah but when you think about it, you only ever use the elevation part of the range of the scope adjustment. You may as well use a 20 MOA rail. (if your scope adjustment will depress far enough to zero at 100m). To me, you don't lose anything with a 20MOA rail but you potentially gain extra distance (whether it's possible to hit anything is another matter !). However, I found that personally I don't like top loading with a rail - so I only have them on rifles with a detachable magazine (ie Tikka). Can't say I ever noticed the scope was angled - 20 MOA is only 1/3 of a degree after all.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Oziblue" post=23523
        Yeah but when you think about it, you only ever use the elevation part of the range of the scope adjustment. You may as well use a 20 MOA rail. (if your scope adjustment will depress far enough to zero at 100m). To me, you don't lose anything with a 20MOA rail but you potentially gain extra distance (whether it's possible to hit anything is another matter !). However, I found that personally I don't like top loading with a rail - so I only have them on rifles with a detachable magazine (ie Tikka). Can't say I ever noticed the scope was angled - 20 MOA is only 1/3 of a degree after all.
        I hold for wind and understand where your coming from.

In saying that some people dial wind and I have witnessed a scope with very limited windage when shooting 100-200m due to its internal settings being very low in the tube as the rifle had a 20moa rail. This problem gets better the further the shooters shoots (until it gets to the other side).

JH

Not to derail the thread but what equates to one third of a degree in thou per inch of rail length.
      In English how much taper per inch.
      I set one of mine up manually as it was off ( ran out of elevation on a scope with limited adjustment )--then bedded it with two pot metal.
      I set my (new ) scope for a 300 yd zero at the scope center point.
      For closer ranges I will dial down and figure at 300 yds I am effectively picking up around seven to eight inches of elevation capacity in the scope at 300 yds.
      Increases as the ranges go out so that at 900 yds I think from memory its around 26 minutes elevation on the turrets from zero.
      Scope is a Leupold VX3 30 mm ... 8.5 - 25 x 50.
      Varmint reticle so if its ever needed it will be good to at least 600 yds possibly more , which is fine on the range where distances are known and handy when there gestimated get you close.

Omark in 308 of course

TIA
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to derail the thread but what equates to one third of a degree in thou per inch of rail length.
        In English how much taper per inch
        It's about 6 thou per inch of rail
    Working...
    X