Remington 788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 788

Hi all I have a 788 in 308 I love the rifle but it has a couple of problems 1. when you fire her she jumps like you just stuck your thumb up her ass, it lifts the bipod about 10cm off the ground. 2. she has a very slight head space problem, I was told by a smith that it was very slight and he said not to worry about it.
    I was thinking about putting a heavy barrel and a break on to fix these problems as I love thick barrels and its only used at the range but have been told by a couple of friends that its not worth it and just get a new rifle. I thought the actions were good and strong and as said like the rifle. So im looking for your thoughts. THANKS in advance

the 788's were (and still are) a great rifle.
    good triggers, had good barrels, drop out mags, smooth & strong actions.
    many people critisized them for being a rear locking action, but from those that actually owned them i haven't heard any complaints.
    the profile of there stocks are nice and 'neutral'.
    if i had one in 308, and the barrel was due for renewal, i'd do it,..... it would end up a good all rounder.
    yes, more weight will certainly help to keep it on the deck.
    so would something slightly shock absorbing between the bipod and the bench or ground (carpet or thin sandbag perhaps?).
    its more common than you may think. commonly refered to as "bipod hop".
    you could also try 'loading' up the bipod.
    this is when a small amount of forward pressure is put on the rifle via your shoulder, pushing the rifle forward against the bipod.
    this needs to be done with consistancy with each shot though.
    hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Send-it, The barrel still has some meat left in it and she shoots pretty straight out to 400m (workin my way back). I might order a thumbhole stock from boyds before the $ drops like they are saying it is about to. If I change barrels who do's them for the 788 or can you use a dif model like 700 maybe.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a 788 in 222 it was good rifle.

Regarding you headspace issue if you are reloading you own ammo just set your die to slightly bump the shoulder back by 0.001-0.002 or so, providing it's only slightly out of spec it should be fine.

possibly send it to a gunsmith via SARA store at wingfield.
      google "SARA store wingfield", for the details on that particular gun shop.
      that would be my first preferance.
      they'll either re-cut and thread a 700 barrel, or use a 308 blank barrel. (probably a Kreiger)
      if not,....then either one of the usual gun shops in adelaide could recomend something.

Comment

The problem with some 788's was that the multiple lugs would sometimes be not all fully engaged and they tended to wear in a bit more as time went on and thereby set back a few thou . If you fit a new barrel , the new head clearance job will fix this up . It is important to keep the bolt lugs and recesses clean and lubricated with a small amount of moly grease to keep wear under control.
        Cleaning the recesses is the hard part .
        As far as your bi-pod jumping of the ground , you may not be controlling the recoil and allowing the gun to move back too much each time. The bi-pod could be digging a hole at each foot , preload the bi-pod by pushing forward slightly before each shot.
        If the bi-pod is a Harris notched leg model don't shoot off the lowest setting on the springs come up to the first notch .
        You position behind the gun may not be that good at getting the butt properly in your shoulder .
        Lack of a good rear bag can help the stock go down under recoil and the barrel jump up.
        Forends that flex to much under recoil can add to the problem .
        Light guns are harder to control than heavy ones .
        A muzzle break can help if it's properly designed to reduce recoil and keep the muzzle down but don't ask me which one is right as I don't use them .
        It can be interesting to study videos of people shooting the same heavy recoiling guns and after a while you see that some people just control the recoil better than others .

Comment

Hello!
          As a cheap alternative scrounge a second hand stainless full bore/palma rifle barrel(a half reasonable second hand can be had for about $80) that is 30" long and take to a gunsmith, get it shortened to take out the worn section of rifling and you will have yourself a cheap, heavy barrelled tack driver. Timney also make an after market trigger to suit the 788.
          Pilch303
          Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            You could always have your existing battle set back

The smith said that he would only charge me about $50 to fix the head space but its like if im going to take the barrel off I may as well put one on I want (Heavy). Thanks guys its givin me something to think about. I like the rifle and have no plans to get rid off it, It was just the way people were talking it seemed it wasn't worth doing what I wanted to do. I have a bit off time as I don't use her as much as I want to being that our rifle range is under construction and getting a couple of people together to go to lower light is hard.

Comment

• OldPaj
            OldPaj commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a Rem 788 which was originally in 223. I bought it cheap as the barrel was RS being badly shot out, but the rest was in good condition. I picked it up specifically to re-barrel to 300/221 using a TSE stainless barrel. Local smith did the work, I feel it came up brilliantly and shoots very well out to 300M. As I already load 300/221 for a Thompson Contender pistol, I have all the dies cases etc. so for me was a good option.

I just purchased one of these in .222 or UG. Sounds like it's in good condition, I'll post some pics when I get it. Anything I should specifically check or look for?

Just found this 788 trigger mod, thought I'd share.

Comment

Ok, so I just got my new (to me) .222 788 home. Gave it a good clean and it's in really good shape but I was a bit disappointed to see the bore was quite pitted. It had been described as 'excellent' over the phone and was purchased under this belief. I rang the shop I purchased it from and to their credit, they offered me a full refund including what it would cost to ship it back. I thanked the guy and said I'd like to keep it but it will prob need a new barrel. He offered to refund me $150 of the purchase price ($495) due to the shoddy bore. This would bring the buy price down to $345.

I can get a new threaded and chambered blued barrel for $450. I have a friend who can fit it for me so all in all with a new pipe the gun will cost me $795.

The question is, is it worth spending $795 all up on a 788.... when for $150 more I can get a brand new T3 lite or for less I can get one of the many nice used Tikka LSA55's or M55's on used guns...

Here are some photos

the timber is a bit rough here and there but I'm not fussed about that.

Comment

• MrCarbine
              MrCarbine commented
              Editing a comment
              For $345 I would keep it.
              Even pitted barrels can shoot good.
              It takes more cleaning.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              My feelings is , no it's not worth it . get the full refund and save the extra for the Tikka .

Take it to the range and put a couple of boxes through it. If it feels nice to shoot and you like it then rebarrel it, if not sell it and buy something else. Got to at least give her a go.

Comment

I'm with Reaper... Take it and try it out... if you like it keep it...
              if not put it up for sale and find what you want.

Comment

Yeah, I weighed up all my options and ended up sending her back for a refund. If it was a better action I would have gone there but not on a 788. Shame, I liked the gun otherwise.

Comment

• 2208mate
                  2208mate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Remo" post=36216
                  Yeah, I weighed up all my options and ended up sending her back for a refund. If it was a better action I would have gone there but not on a 788. Shame, I liked the gun otherwise.
                  Smart move I reckon, the 788 was a budget outfit about 30 years ago, what's that make it now.?
                  With the exception of the bore(which may not affect how it shoots) it did look a nice clean outfit tho'.

Yeah it was a shame the bore was cactus cause it was externally pretty good and would have been perfect for what I wanted it for (knock about spotlighting rig). Anyhow I've just found a basically mint old Winchester M770 in .222 that I'm eying off as a replacement for similar money.

Comment

remo how many 222,s can a bloke have ? ha ha

Comment

Working...
                  X